General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How Long Till I ask for a Refund Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-17 9:28 AM

User image

Harare
Subject: How Long Till I ask for a Refund
I recently signed up for a local gym, just so I can use their pool. I live in the Southern Hemisphere and it's winter now. They have the only "heated" pool in town, which is why I signed up. When I went there 2 weeks ago they told me the heater was getting fixed, but it should be ready in a couple days. I swam anyway, but the water is a ~brisk~ 20 degrees C (68 F). Went back again today, still no heater. I don't mind the cold water in the afternoon, when it's warm (still only about 70 F air temp), but I mostly swim early mornings or at night and there's no way I'm getting into 68 degree water in 45 degree weather. They said the heater will be fixed in a couple days, but now I'm skeptical.

How long until I demand a refund for the time the pool heater hasn't worked?

2014-07-17 9:35 AM
in reply to: Danielfberlin

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: How Long Till I ask for a Refund

Originally posted by Danielfberlin I recently signed up for a local gym, just so I can use their pool. I live in the Southern Hemisphere and it's winter now. They have the only "heated" pool in town, which is why I signed up. When I went there 2 weeks ago they told me the heater was getting fixed, but it should be ready in a couple days. I swam anyway, but the water is a ~brisk~ 20 degrees C (68 F). Went back again today, still no heater. I don't mind the cold water in the afternoon, when it's warm (still only about 70 F air temp), but I mostly swim early mornings or at night and there's no way I'm getting into 68 degree water in 45 degree weather. They said the heater will be fixed in a couple days, but now I'm skeptical. How long until I demand a refund for the time the pool heater hasn't worked?

I'd give them more time. I'd also wear my sleeveless wetsuit in that kind of water. But I'm a cold water wuss. I did this at a pool I swam at, when the heater broke in the winter. 

2014-07-17 9:39 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
For me, I would train in the 20C pool and hope that they kept it there for the winter. For me, 18-20C is where I am most comfortable in a training pool; not so cool that I'm freezing when I get out and not so hot that I'm overheating in hard sets.

Shane
2014-07-17 10:21 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

Arden, North Carolina
Originally posted by gsmacleod

For me, I would train in the 20C pool and hope that they kept it there for the winter. For me, 18-20C is where I am most comfortable in a training pool; not so cool that I'm freezing when I get out and not so hot that I'm overheating in hard sets.

Shane

You people have some rock hard cajones. I have to pysch myself up to get in our 80 degree pool. Takes me about a lap or two not to feel cold. 68? freaking forget it, no way i'm getting in there without a wet suit.

As far as a refund...I'd probably tell them that you're considering asking for a refund if they can't give you a rock solid date. Especially if that's the only reason you're paying for your membership.
2014-07-17 11:50 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM

Same here... I'd be burning up in a wet-suit at 68 degrees (or in a 80 deg pool with no wet-suit.)
2014-07-17 11:53 AM
in reply to: TriDadinAsheville

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Originally posted by TriDadinAsheville
Originally posted by gsmacleod For me, I would train in the 20C pool and hope that they kept it there for the winter. For me, 18-20C is where I am most comfortable in a training pool; not so cool that I'm freezing when I get out and not so hot that I'm overheating in hard sets. Shane
You people have some rock hard cajones. I have to pysch myself up to get in our 80 degree pool. Takes me about a lap or two not to feel cold. 68? freaking forget it, no way i'm getting in there without a wet suit. As far as a refund...I'd probably tell them that you're considering asking for a refund if they can't give you a rock solid date. Especially if that's the only reason you're paying for your membership.

80 degree pool... perfection!  

2014-07-17 11:56 AM
in reply to: KSH

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

A refund because the heater doesn't work? They are not stopping you from swimming, there is water in the pool. No refund for you. Swim in the cold or wait for the heater to be fixed. 

2014-07-17 12:06 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Danielfberlin

I recently signed up for a local gym, just so I can use their pool. I live in the Southern Hemisphere and it's winter now. They have the only "heated" pool in town, which is why I signed up. When I went there 2 weeks ago they told me the heater was getting fixed, but it should be ready in a couple days. I swam anyway, but the water is a ~brisk~ 20 degrees C (68 F). Went back again today, still no heater. I don't mind the cold water in the afternoon, when it's warm (still only about 70 F air temp), but I mostly swim early mornings or at night and there's no way I'm getting into 68 degree water in 45 degree weather. They said the heater will be fixed in a couple days, but now I'm skeptical.

sorry but if you are swimming and/or the pool is functional you do not deserve a refund. if you are unable to swim and its their responsibility then you deserve a refund.

Its like when people go out to eat, eat the meal, then complain and ask for the meal to be bought.
2014-07-17 3:21 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

Arden, North Carolina
Originally posted by bcagle25

sorry but if you are swimming and/or the pool is functional you do not deserve a refund. if you are unable to swim and its their responsibility then you deserve a refund.

Its like when people go out to eat, eat the meal, then complain and ask for the meal to be bought.

Missed the part that he's actually swimming. Yeah, if you're actually using the pool I'm on the no refund side of the fence. I'd just cancel my membership.
2014-07-17 3:29 PM

User image

I don't think a refund is in order just due to pool heating.  Maybe you can ask to suspend your gym membership until the heater is fixed?  Keep in mind that your gym membership covers all of the facilities.  Just because you only signed up because of a heated pool, it does not mean the gym failed to honor 100% of their end of the bargain.  In their eyes, they are still providing 99% of what they promised you when you signed up.  

2014-07-17 3:53 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Totally agree with the "no refund" group.

I swim in an indoor pool that they set at 84 degrees.   WAY TO FRICKN WARM.

The outdoor pool is about 70 degrees depending on the outdoor tems.  Today was PERFECT.  Cool at first then awesome water.

2014-07-17 5:33 PM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I personally think you could rightfully ask (not demand) a refund for the time the pool was not fully-functioning.  I would explain your situation and that you tried to swim in the unheated pool but found it too cold.  You entered the contract with a certain expectation that's not being met.     Or really, whether it's a refund, suspension, or a return of your initiation fee, I think the pool situation allows for you to ask for something out of the ordinary.  I do expect my pool to be out of service for a day here and there, but this is going beyond the normal expectations I think.

Good luck!  I do agree that I'd be using my wetsuit and swimming - IF i had a wet suit and IF I couldn't get that refund.  Might as well make the best of it.

2014-07-17 6:19 PM
in reply to: RockTractor

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by RockTractor

Same here... I'd be burning up in a wet-suit at 68 degrees (or in a 80 deg pool with no wet-suit.)
Im with you guys 20-22C is the perfect temp for training in. You should only notice it for the first couple of laps and then you'll be right. I bet if you swim in it for a few days when they get the heater fixed you will find it way too hot.
2014-07-17 6:54 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

Veteran
Originally posted by bcagle25

doesn't matter what temp everyone else likes, the agreement was between YOU and the pool people, you joined their pool because you expected a heater because you like it warmer. you relied on their representation that it would be heated, it ain't happening. I would give them two weeks, then check with them again to see what's going on, if they don't give you a satisfactory answer - like turns out they needed to rip out the whole thing rather than just fix it or other mechanical issue they hadn't expected - then say, I'd like a refund. you expected heated, it's not. heat and repair in a couple days motivated you to spend the money.
2014-07-18 3:20 AM
in reply to: sheesleeva

User image

Harare
Like I said in my post, I'm ok swimming in the pool in the afternoon, when the outdoor temps are around 70. But I do most of my training at 6 am or 7 pm, when the temperature is closer to 45. And I don't have a wetsuit. I don't own a wetsuit because I don't mind cold water (was a member of the Pittsburgh polar-bear club for many years, jumping into the icy Monongahela every New Years), but I think I can legitimately be concerned about getting sick (and maybe even hypothermia) swimming for an hour outdoors in an unheated pool in 45 degree weather.

The membership is only for the "outdoor facilities," which means the pool, tennis courts, and a basketball court.

But, if the general consensus is I need to man-up, I'll probably just ask for a hold on the membership until they fix the heater.

Thanks for all the input!
2014-07-18 7:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Calgary
If you want to ask for a refund because you're not going to use the pool then go ahead and ask. It doesn't matter whether you "deserve" the refund. (If you want to demand or fight for the refund that's different.)

I didn't realize it was an outdoor pool until I read your recent post. Some of the responses above may be based on the belief that it's an indoor pool.

2014-07-18 8:17 AM
in reply to: donw

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by donw

If you want to ask for a refund because you're not going to use the pool then go ahead and ask. It doesn't matter whether you "deserve" the refund. (If you want to demand or fight for the refund that's different.)

I didn't realize it was an outdoor pool until I read your recent post. Some of the responses above may be based on the belief that it's an indoor pool.
I didn't realise it was outdoors either, it does make a difference when the outside temp is so low. I would then ask to hold the membership.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How Long Till I ask for a Refund Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

PRK how long till....

Started by adameldridge
Views: 3181 Posts: 5

2009-01-22 5:27 PM adameldridge

how long till your back to normal

Started by ceiph
Views: 1161 Posts: 11

2008-06-13 1:44 AM Flyboy

Having Knee Surgery...how long till???

Started by Jbacon
Views: 706 Posts: 10

2007-05-16 2:21 PM jldicarlo

IronMan Registration Fee Refund Question

Started by charlie
Views: 671 Posts: 4

2006-01-10 8:54 PM 3558

unveiling my tax refund

Started by akabak
Views: 1363 Posts: 22

2005-04-21 4:15 PM possum
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.

date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 0
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.