General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hey BT, geek me up on swim speed suits, please! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-07-19 4:54 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Hey BT, geek me up on swim speed suits, please!
Originally posted by Donto

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Marc, I'll be curious to hear what the time differences are between the skinz and the DeSoto.

I won't be providing numbers. People won't believe me :-) Either this suit is very fast or that 200m of kicking I did yesterday is finally yielding results. Seriously...for me, the DeSoto is hands down better Would I wear it for a HIM or longer ? I don't know. My regular shorts/top are more comfortable. But for an Oly, hands down. Skimskin allows you to be more selective on your bike/run attire which is not negligeable on 70.3 and greater. I am very surprised of the results. I need to do more testing. They were that good.

Just to be sure, you're talking about the Liftfoil right?  If so I'd be interested on your thoughts of the 7mm pad.  Maybe the pad lifted you more than you think!

I love the fit and feel of Desoto tri suits but mine are the older models with the thin Fleece pad and wonder if the 7mm pad would be too much.  I need a new suit and have been looking at the Forza and the Riviera suits, god knows I could use all the help I can get for the swim and my next tri (2k swim) most likely won't be wetsuit legal.

this one
http://www.desotosport.com/product/FIT1

they claim 2 to 4 seconds per 100. I was at the mid and higher end of that. It also made a significant difference on a kick set.

it might be the pad. I suspect it's a combination of things. It is tiight, that probably helped.
It probably raises my hips. I can swim faster with a pull buoy which screams body position.

I am going to do some more testing, especially in open water.

BTW, shaving provided no aero benefit to me on the bike :-(

Edited by marcag 2014-07-19 5:13 AM

2014-07-19 10:29 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Marc, I'll be curious to hear what the time differences are between the skinz and the DeSoto.

I won't be providing numbers. People won't believe me :-) Either this suit is very fast or that 200m of kicking I did yesterday is finally yielding results. Seriously...for me, the DeSoto is hands down better Would I wear it for a HIM or longer ? I don't know. My regular shorts/top are more comfortable. But for an Oly, hands down. Skimskin allows you to be more selective on your bike/run attire which is not negligeable on 70.3 and greater. I am very surprised of the results. I need to do more testing. They were that good.

Just to be sure, you're talking about the Liftfoil right?  If so I'd be interested on your thoughts of the 7mm pad.  Maybe the pad lifted you more than you think!

I love the fit and feel of Desoto tri suits but mine are the older models with the thin Fleece pad and wonder if the 7mm pad would be too much.  I need a new suit and have been looking at the Forza and the Riviera suits, god knows I could use all the help I can get for the swim and my next tri (2k swim) most likely won't be wetsuit legal.

this one http://www.desotosport.com/product/FIT1they claim 2 to 4 seconds per 100. I was at the mid and higher end of that. It also made a significant difference on a kick set. it might be the pad. I suspect it's a combination of things. It is tiight, that probably helped. It probably raises my hips. I can swim faster with a pull buoy which screams body position. I am going to do some more testing, especially in open water. BTW, shaving provided no aero benefit to me on the bike :-(

Ha!  You're one of the few sources for numbers that I know will be both honest and accurate - even if tough to believe.

This is very timely and helpful.  Interesting that it seems to be competitive or better with the skins.  Maybe the pad? But is it big enough to actually be bouyant? The chamois in my tri suits are pretty minimal - certainly by comparison to my cycling kit and nothing even close to a swim buoy… 

As for the bike aero shaving benefits, I'm surprised that a self proclaimed 6 on the Chewy scale didn't see a benefit.  Anyone read the recent bit by Jesse Thomas in Triathlete claiming wind tunnel savings of something like 8-15 W (depending on how hairy) for leg shaving?

If it had been in April's edition, I'd have not even remembered - but it seemed serious.  Maybe I should start another shaving thread…  

Matt

2014-07-19 4:52 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

this one http://www.desotosport.com/product/FIT1they claim 2 to 4 seconds per 100. I was at the mid and higher end of that. It also made a significant difference on a kick set. it might be the pad. I suspect it's a combination of things. It is tiight, that probably helped. It probably raises my hips. I can swim faster with a pull buoy which screams body position. I am going to do some more testing, especially in open water. BTW, shaving provided no aero benefit to me on the bike :-(

Awesome, thanks for the info!  I'd actually like to do a test to compare it to the current kit I'm wearing, rather than comparing it to my swim suit that I wear in the pool.  It would be interesting to compare OWS to OWS between the two kits.  I absolutely love the De Soto shorts I wear....they are a bit on the spendy side, but worth the money.  Though I may wait for a sale since I don't have any other non-wetsuit races scheduled at the moment  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hey BT, geek me up on swim speed suits, please! Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

10 Speed VS. 11 Speed educate me please ???

Started by strykergt
Views: 13734 Posts: 19

2014-03-28 11:02 AM Techdiver

Speed Suit & Wet Suit Question

Started by bart123
Views: 652 Posts: 3

2012-09-11 7:28 AM taylorz13

Speed suit when Wet suits are not allowed

Started by Grnfsh
Views: 1008 Posts: 6

2010-09-16 2:42 PM Johners

Wet suits for the "Geek" in you

Started by Grnfsh
Views: 971 Posts: 13

2010-01-04 10:02 AM Atlantia

Please help me get some swim speed

Started by 98hogbay
Views: 1229 Posts: 11

2008-10-21 1:22 PM joker70
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 10, 2009
author : t3coach1
comments : 0
Looking to shave some time off and improve your swim efficiency during your races? We review the Rocket Skin Suit by Rocket Science Sports.