General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I think I have the solution for... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-17 11:41 AM

User image

Subject: I think I have the solution for...
I apologize for the redundancy but I really want to improve my swimming. Here's the comment I got from this forum:

1. Pull is super wide. How flexible are your shoulders?
2. Poor shoulder/body rotation.
3. Elbow drop. As soon as you catch your elbow drops and you are dragging your arm back.
4. You are moving your hands and arms through the water. You need to HOLD water.
5. Kick. Kicks should be smaller. You are not pointing your toes, hard to tell if its because of poor flexibility.

This my swim: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKzQCZOtu4M

I would like to get private swim lessons to correct these problem areas. I had two swim lessons before (I'm 48 , female, first tri, learned to swim in my 40's). But the instructors just gave me a bunch of drills (kickboard.) that did not improve my swimming.

When I find a good instructor, I will ask her to correct these problems. Could you recommend dvds/videos/instructions that myself and instructor could follow? Should I just let the instructor pick the drills for me? I'm just concerned that I might waste time and money again if I let the instructor select the drills.

Thanks

2014-07-17 1:49 PM
in reply to: #5027038

User image

Hereford, England
Subject: RE: I think I have the solution for...
The first thing I noticed was your kick. Check the thread swimming: arms or legs. It's a bit long, but a better kick will give you a better body position.
2014-07-17 1:59 PM
in reply to: Eucid

User image

You're swimming looks a lot like mine...

What is your swimming endurance like?
2014-07-17 2:08 PM

User image

Hereford, England
This was posted in the Swimming: Arms or Legs thread. I'd focus on tip 1, 3, 8, 10 and 14.

http://joelfilliol.blogspot.ca/2012/01/most-popular-post-on-this-bl...

2014-07-17 2:16 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Originally posted by jennifer_runs

3:18 100m
55:18 1400m
2014-07-17 2:23 PM

User image

Originally posted by Eucid

This was posted in the Swimming: Arms or Legs thread. I'd focus on tip 1, 3, 8, 10 and 14.

http://joelfilliol.blogspot.ca/2012/01/most-popular-post-on-this-bl...

10. Learn now to use your kick but don't spend a lot of time with kick sets. Kicking is about stroke control and body position, not propulsion for triathlon. Kick fitness doesn't matter.

I started doing side kick drill:

With your hips rotated to the side, and your shoulders parallel, keep your head still and continue looking at the bottom of the pool.

Extend one arm out in front.

When you need air, rotate all the way onto your back, take a few good breaths, and repeat.

Do odd number lengths on the right side, even lengths on the left.

Do you think this is better than using kick board?

2014-07-17 2:35 PM
in reply to: #5027137

User image

Hereford, England
I'd use a kick board, but a mixture may be best. YouTube has hundreds of videos (I know it's hardly a tip to say go to YouTube). But if you are able to have someone video you often, then you can compare your drills to the videos you're watching.

Importantly, stay motivated. Once you sort your technique out, your 100 time well plummet.
2014-07-17 3:07 PM

User image

Swimming for me is like dieting to loose weight, I hit a certain weight, then it's hard to loose more weight.

I need to do something to improve my time and form.
2014-07-17 3:30 PM

Regular
I didn't see your other thread, so this may be redundant. You look like you are swimming in slow motion. Have you tried increasing your pace/stroke rate? You will be exhausted, it will be very uncomfortable but that is what you need in the long run.

Also, I agree with the other comments that you listed.
2014-07-17 3:40 PM
in reply to: riltri

User image

Originally posted by riltri

I didn't see your other thread, so this may be redundant. You look like you are swimming in slow motion. Have you tried increasing your pace/stroke rate? You will be exhausted, it will be very uncomfortable but that is what you need in the long run.

Also, I agree with the other comments that you listed.

No, someone told me that I need to improve technique (kick, pull, recovery etc) before increasing stroke rate.

2014-07-17 4:56 PM
in reply to: Phebes

Forget about technique. Swim a lot. And when you think that is a lot, swim more. Swim, swim, swim. At 3:18/100, your swim fitness is about zero. Wear some fins, I'll help you get more yards in and will teach you good body position.

2014-07-17 4:59 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Originally posted by ziggie204

Forget about technique. Swim a lot. And when you think that is a lot, swim more. Swim, swim, swim. At 3:18/100, your swim fitness is about zero. Wear some fins, I'll help you get more yards in and will teach you good body position.

This.

I took a peek at your logs and see that you are swimming about 3 times per week, but sometimes only about 15-30 minutes.

IMHO (and I really mean "humble" since I'm also a slow swimmer) you won't see a lot of improvement until you are swimming quite a bit more. Once you improve your swimming fitness, you will be able to improve your body position and form.

I started about where you were, and started making improvements when I started swimming more. I still have a ways to go, but I know that with more fitness I will be able to do more, and thus learn better technique and body position.

I also agree with the advice of using fins-- they have helped me greatly.
2014-07-17 5:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Jennifer, I remember when you posted your video and yes there are similarities. I remember someone saying you looked like you lacked power, there wasn't much forward motion in a pull. Am I correct ?

Phebes, I kind of see the same thing with you. Sure there is room for improvement in body position, kick, rotation.....bla bla bla, but it looks like you are not being pulled forward as you pull.

For hoots, use a pull bouy. It will raise your hips, legs....and eliminate that noise. But I suspect you will still be slower because you lack pull.

Yes, more strength, endurance through more swimming is probably a major part of the solution.

My gut is telling me your catch, and how much water you are pulling is where there is the most to gain but I am really lousy at analyzing other people's strokes. Suzanne is much better at it. Hopefully she will chime in
2014-07-17 6:05 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Originally posted by marcag

Jennifer, I remember when you posted your video and yes there are similarities. I remember someone saying you looked like you lacked power, there wasn't much forward motion in a pull. Am I correct ?

Yup. Like I said, I'm working on it and it's getting better. I figure if I'm getting my arms sore after a workout, I'm getting something done, right?
It's getting there...
2014-07-17 6:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by marcag

Yup. Like I said, I'm working on it and it's getting better. I figure if I'm getting my arms sore after a workout, I'm getting something done, right?
It's getting there...

Smart lady!
2014-07-17 8:21 PM
in reply to: #5027159

User image

Franklin, TN
Jennifer, your lats ought to be sore too...just look at the great swimmers...there lats are really developed because that's where the power comes from during the pull phase.

2014-07-17 11:31 PM
in reply to: JoelO

User image

Originally posted by JoelO

Jennifer, your lats ought to be sore too...just look at the great swimmers...there lats are really developed because that's where the power comes from during the pull phase.

I know I'm improving at swimming when my sports bras start to get too tight in the back.
2014-07-18 8:08 AM
in reply to: JoelO

User image

Since I have not found an instructor yet, I'll swim more for now. My first tri is in August 23rd. The local pool where I train will be closed for 2 1/2 months starting August 11. I better find a way to keep swimming.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I think I have the solution for... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Stomach issue solution

Started by TriToy
Views: 1515 Posts: 10

2009-04-11 7:38 PM tkd.teacher

Home Recipes for Anti Fog Solutions?

Started by TXGreyhoundGuy
Views: 5601 Posts: 16

2008-08-07 8:14 AM hagakure

Aerodrink solutions....anyone?

Started by Big Sexy
Views: 1633 Posts: 20