General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 12 days to First Triathlon-Stress Fracture AAAAGGGGHHH! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-08-14 6:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Near Salt Lake City
Subject: 12 days to First Triathlon-Stress Fracture AAAAGGGGHHH!
Crap! My first triathlon is a week from this Saturday and for the past week the top of my right foot has been really hurting. Over the weekend it started to swell up a bit around my toes, so I go to the Doc today and after x-rays he tells me I have a stress fracture on top of my foot. It hurts but I can still swim and bike decent on it. My question is- should I get it shot with steroids (hope the french aren't there dope testing ) next week and do my race? Or do I just gut it out and do it. Not competing is NOT an option, I've come too far not to race.

I signed up for two triathlons already and paid my entry fees. Aug. 26th and the second on Sept. 16th. Anyone dealt with a stress fracture before. Is it doable and then rest after I've completed both races?

2006-08-14 6:55 PM
in reply to: #511513

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
Subject: RE: 12 days to First Triathlon-Stress Fracture AAAAGGGGHHH!
Stay home and rest it. Why risk a long term injury.
2006-08-14 7:15 PM

Extreme Veteran
South Park, PA
option 1. do the swim / bike and not the run - maybe change to a relay & find a runner?
option 2. don't do it at all and let it heal properly.

you are looking at 4-6 weeks resting now, when it snaps because you ignored the pain, you'll be out 6-8 weeks and in a cast so you can't even swim or bike.

your decision to make but if you think it hurts now, wait until it snaps. ouch!

k
2006-08-14 8:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Effect Snow Country
Don't do it!!! I had the same pain two years ago and ran a race and then did some track work two days later. On my last 400 repeat my stress fracture became a real fracture. I had 10 weeks of nothing and big ugly black velcro cast that went half way to my knee. If you lay off now you could be up and running in 3-4 weeks.
2006-08-14 8:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine WI
A couple of good ideas suggested here so far........

1) let it rest and heal properly
2) set up a relay team...probably the more tolerable of the choices....

Youre right, you have come to far; to risk serious injury and a long recovery, versus, a short time off which will result in proper healing and a quicker return to full workouts.

If the investment $$ in your race is a concern, think about it this way; how good is your insurance. Most races cost about $75 (give or take); will your out of pocket costs for a full fracture exceed that? If so, it makes sense, even in the financial resect, to take the extra time off and let it heal. Some races will even offer to let you transfer to the same event the following year (or another race in the area put on by the same company) if you have a doctors excuse. Contact the RD to see if thats possible.

Just a couple of thoughts.. Good luck!
2006-08-14 9:21 PM

User image

Master
piece o heaven
Sorry to hear about your injury. but it is best to heal, MarkK gives great advice. Listen

I have blown out both ACL's and a meniscus playing Basketball. My left knee is 10 mos post op and workable. But it could have been better if I listened to body and wasn't crazy. In the first half I took a shot that quivered my leg with no real pain - probably my ACL tearing, but I am too bull headed (German that is) so I kept playing and a second hit sent me down in excruciating pain there went the full ACL and a meniscus. If I would have quit, my knee surgery and recovery would have been better. Now I have a sore left knee that does not allow me to run any great length without stopping to walk. TRUST ME - LISTEN TOYOUR BODY AND REST You will be much happier with a quick return and short wiat at first.

Good Luck

2006-08-14 10:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Arlington, VA
I agree with most of the posts; rest up, live to run someday soon.

Start counting your vitamin intake. You may not be getting enough calcium, especially if you are counting calories (no whole milk or little cheese). Start supplementing (I use calcium citrate) and try to get at least 1000 mg of calcium a day, also vitamin D will speed recovery.
2006-08-15 2:10 AM

User image

Expert
Carmel
I agree with what other people say but can you make it worse by racing? It may be as bad as its going to get, in which case I say race. My aunt had a broken foot and the doc said that it could not get worse but see how you feel. She was only going to do the swim and bike, but ended up doing the run and had a pretty good time. See how you feel. I know I am playing devils advocate here but you are going to have to rest it after the race anyway so if it cant get worse 8 weeks is 8 weeks.
2006-08-15 10:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Effect Snow Country
Yes, you can make it worse. A mild stress fracture could be ready for easy running in a month. More severe, obviously longer. If the hairline actually breaks thru, much much longer. Plus it hurts like a ***** to run on!
2006-08-15 11:08 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
First of all DO NOT GET A STEROID INJECTION.  It will not make it hurt less and could prolong your healing.  Second I would advise not running.  Do you own private aquabike.  If you determined despite all advice to the contrary, do this race and go heal.  Theres plenty more times to race.  You could potentially take a simple problem that can be treated conservatively and turn it into a surgical problem
2006-08-15 12:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Near Salt Lake City
I know I know. You're all right about this and I know it. I'm looking at turning this into a relay and have my brother run the 5k. Thanks for the advice everyone, I guess I'm just really bummed that I won't be able to do all three sports for the two triathlons I've already signed up for. I checked with both RDs and one will let me transfer to next year but the other said "tough luck" I'll still compete somehow. Thanks for all your advice.

2006-08-15 1:01 PM

User image

I think you've made the right decision.  A relay team still lets you get out there and race.  There will ALWAYS be another tri around the corner.. no use in risking further injury on this one. 

Good luck and have fun!!  

2006-08-15 2:10 PM
in reply to: #512360

User image

Regular
Opelika, AL
checked with both RDs and one will let me transfer to next year but the other said "tough luck"

Sounds as if the second race director doesn't really care much about the athlete's view of their race and as such I would probably not choose to participate in that race anyway. I know the feeling that you can't help eveyone all the time, but dang if there is legitemate medical concern then why not have a roll-over fee and apply the balance to next year's race. I have seen a lot of the races have this option. Most of the fees are like $20 or so, but that is better than loosing the entire entry fee.

Anyway, hope the foot heals, and rest it as much as possible.

Sethro Out.

Edited by Sethro 2006-08-15 2:11 PM
2006-08-15 2:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Highlands Ranch, CO
Let it heal....dont mess with hurting it more.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 12 days to First Triathlon-Stress Fracture AAAAGGGGHHH! Rss Feed