General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Time Off / Ready for next triathlon? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-17 4:01 PM

Subject: Time Off / Ready for next triathlon?
I completed my first Olympic Triathlon on June 29. I trained for 7 months. As soon as the triathlon was over, I just mentally needed a break. It has been 18 days since the triathlon, and I have done very little in regards to workouts/training. Basically reverted back to couch-potato activity outside of a few short casual runs.

My question is: I am considering getting back on the horse and signing up for the Chicago Triathlon (Olympic) which takes place on August 24 (38 days from today). As a newbie, I am just curious if this is too quick of a turnaround? If I commit to a training regimen today, would I be able to be as fit or even more fit for the next triathlon? Or has 18 days off ruined me?

Any advice would be helpful, as I would like to make the correct decision asap. I struggled a bit in my first tri, and my goal is to improve on my time drastically....I'd be mentally a bit shattered if I signed up, and did worse or even equal to my last performance.

Thanks!

2014-07-17 4:53 PM
in reply to: thomaiii

Subject: RE: Time Off / Ready for next triathlon?
Two and a half weeks off isn't a lot of time. You'll be fine. Probably will be sluggish for a couple weeks, but it'll come back quick. You probably won't be any stronger than your June race, but you shouldn't be any worse.

2014-07-17 4:54 PM
in reply to: thomaiii

User image

With almost three weeks off and only 5 weeks till the triathlon, I don't think you can expect drastic improvements over your first one.

You can definitely get back into the training and do another race, but to expect a huge improvement is setting yourself up for disappointment. It will take you a week or two to get back into the groove of training, which really only leaves 3-4 weeks. You may improve a bit, you may have a worse day, or you may be about the same.

Get back into it and enjoy, and see how you do. But I would suggest taking the pressure off yourself. Set your aim at another season of training and you will probably see improvements, especially if you can target areas of your weaknesses.
2014-07-17 4:59 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

The only reason I think I should improve (assuming I am in the same shape physically as I was in June) is because I lost a lot of time due to mental failures. The 3 days leading up to the Tri, I was just so nervous....over thinking things, so on race day I was just a bit spent and feeling low energy because of my nerves. Then, on the swim....(my 2nd OWS ever)...the cold water just sent my lungs into panic mode, and I spent a ton of time just panicking and taking breaks rather than just swimming....so I think I wasted a ton of energy on the swim, which was a domino effect for the rest of the race....I think my swim ultimately cost me about 45 minutes over the entire race.

So, after that....I just really needed some time off. Not to sound dramatic, but that swim was traumatizing!

So, hopefully with the experience under my belt....I won't have the same nerves which would hopefully lead to a better race.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Time Off / Ready for next triathlon? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Having a hard time taking time off training

Started by pga_mike
Views: 1378 Posts: 7

2010-07-03 10:53 AM Karl Hungus

so my toenail fell off- what next? Pages: 1 2

Started by ried0428
Views: 10030 Posts: 27

2010-05-18 3:37 PM Health_Doc

Off season / time off???

Started by chevy57
Views: 953 Posts: 7

2009-09-14 5:35 PM aquagirl

How will not biking in off season affect me next year

Started by jackjack
Views: 1015 Posts: 4

2007-09-30 9:37 PM KSH

Ready to have my foot cut off

Started by trish123
Views: 835 Posts: 6

2005-03-07 2:13 PM trish123
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Mikael67
comments : 0
End of season thoughts and tips

date : June 22, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
Will you will finish your next triathlon swim strong, or will you run out of steam before you even start the majority of your race?
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
comments : 0
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.