General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Off season prior to IM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-17 10:43 PM

User image

Utah
Subject: Off season prior to IM
My last race for this season is in 3 weeks, Age Group Nationals in Milwaukee. I then have 4 months till my official training plan to get ready for IMTX will begin on December 15. I am going to be using the Matt Fitzgerald Minimalist plan, which is 20 weeks long. I'm unsure what to do with this time prior to the plan starting. Part of my wants to do other things, time in the gym, Insanity, or other different things for fitness just for a mental break from SBR, before I dive into IM training. Another part thinks I should work on running, my weakest link, another part wants to do trainer time due to the fact that from what I have read, the Ironman is "all about the bike".

Some back ground info, if it matters...this is my fifth year in endurance sports, the third in triathlon, I have done 2 previous HIM races. I have very solid bike base right now, I am a strong swimmer, and my run sucks, always has. By this time every year I am getting burned out, and like to do other things in the off season to get somewhat of a break, but still maintaining fitness, but am always excited to dive back into SBR after some time off. This has worked well in the past, but I haven't done an IM before, so don't know how to treat this four month break. Any suggestions would be great!

2014-07-17 11:29 PM
in reply to: KatieLimb

User image

Pearland,Tx
Subject: RE: Off season prior to IM
my Last race for the season is HIM on Nov. recover 2 weeks then 30 weeks towards IMTX using BIF intermediate
2014-07-18 12:08 AM

Master
Northern IL

Burnout is very real for some people. Take at least some of that time off like you normally do and see how you feel. A few weeks, a month? See how you're doing and then consider working on something. Probably look at another smaller break after and then be ready for when the plan starts up. IM builds tend to rather big for people, so you do want to be feeling fresh mentally as it will challenge you later on.

2014-07-18 8:39 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Always refreshing and good for both your mind and body to have unstructured time after your season is done. I find 3-4 weeks off helpful then move into unstructured time where I would do what I wanted to do.  Doing those two different periods post race season brought me into training with excitement and ready to go.

IM is more than all about the bike. Two changes in training helped me the most.  First was running consistency and running 4-5x a week. First IM I did I was so fatigued by way I was trained. When I trained consistently with gradual building my body handled it better than what folks think as traditional training with 2 weeks of build an 1 week of recovery.

2014-07-18 10:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
As someone already mentioned, I would suggest taking 1-2 weeks off after your last race. Do some light activity just to keep moving, but no serious or structured training. Then after that start to get back into training before you go on the IM plan.

Here's an article I wrote on the subject last winter.

http://www.usatriathlon.org/about-multisport/multisport-zone/multis...

2014-07-18 11:35 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
In the off season I always remove the computer from my bike and just ride for the joy of it. But then I really enjoy cycling.

You will want to maintain some base fitness during the off season.

Take up yoga, some kind of fitness class, or other physical activity that you really enjoy.

2014-07-18 2:49 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

My 2 cents: take the time to do the other activities you mentioned you have interest in.  If you feel like it, include some easy runs here and there, if not, don't.  I find taking time away from SBR makes me enjoy it that much more when I can resume training.  Enjoy your break, life is too short to not have fun!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Off season prior to IM Rss Feed