General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMLP under trained Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-18 7:13 AM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: IMLP under trained
Folks,
I need some advice. I have been signed up for the race and had a family illness happen in December that sidelined my training. Lake Placid is a special place for my family and we always look forward to going. In February I had decided to bag the race and focus on my daughters recovery. On Memorial Day weekend my wife and kids decided that we should go to Lake Placid and that I should do the race. So I started training that weekend. My training has been limited but if focused on getting long rides runs and swims in. I have gotten 3 swims of 2 miles (open water) in. 5 rides over 100 miles and built my long run to 16 miles. I have not done any speed or interval work to speak of. My plan for the race is to go easy and run when I can. I'm not against walking the whole marathon if I have to. I really just want to have fun and finish. Has anyone done an IM with this type of training? This will be my third full IM. I did the Rev3 cedar point and IMLP in 2012. Thoughts?
Kevin

2014-07-18 8:19 AM
in reply to: chevy57

User image

Regular
Levittown, PA
Subject: RE: IMLP under trained
I have a friend that I train with. Just to put things in perspective of how you fare against what he has done. He was training religiously up to about 5 weeks ago and he fell of his bike and broke his clavicle and broke 1 rib and fractured 4 others. He has 3 generations of family members coming in from all over to watch the race and he just found out his sister has cancer and is postponing treatment until after his race because she knows how much it means to him. He is still going to give the race a shot, but he will have to swim the entire swim breast stroke, We are going on a training ride tomorrow, first time on the bike since he fell off, so still don't know how he'll do when holding onto the bars. He has been on the trainer for about an hour a day and walks about 4-6 miles daily.

I know that info doesn't help answer your question as to how well you are set up to do the race, but just wanted to put into perspective how well you are doing compared to others that will be lined up next to you. I will be up there cheering on my friend and wish you the best of luck as well. I am sure you will be fine with the amount of training you have done. Good luck
2014-07-18 10:00 AM

User image

Regular
Kevin you got this. You know what to expect and you have done this before. Its a long training day with thousands of people there to push you through and getting to the line and if you walk the marathon you will make it and with a smile on your face and I may be there walking with you. Just tell youself over and over you got this and be #maddiestrong.

Jon
2014-07-18 12:22 PM
in reply to: makeyourownluck

User image

Regular
Akron
I Honestly think that is plenty. I had an injury training for my first IMLP in 2012 and last run and longest was 16 miles. I think I did 11 100 mile rides or over but the runs just weren't there. I finished just over 12 hours. If my ankle didn't give out on me I would have been sub 12. By the way 5 centuries should be fine. I did Lou last year and only did 5 rides of at least 100. I had some 2.4 swims though because that is my weak link. Have a good time and good luck!
2014-07-18 2:07 PM
in reply to: SEADOCHA

User image

Regular
Akron
ooops, meant to say my last long run of 16 was 6 weeks out
2014-07-19 7:08 AM
in reply to: SEADOCHA

Extreme Veteran
Folks,
Thanks for your responses. I also believe i have done enough to survive. I am not expecting to beat Andy Potts. The reason I posted this is that I got a text from a good friend who heard I was doing the race. He gave a slightly different perspective. He felt this was a bit irresponsible to do the race because of the risk for injury. I did not and do not view this as a high probability, however it is always possible. I threw this out to BT to see if any of you would play that same card. If you are going to the race and you see any "Team Maddie" or "Racing For Maddie" shirts stop and say hello.
Kevin

2014-07-21 7:29 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

You'll risk get injured IF you push the race effort far beyond what your training supports.  Otherwise, you're not really risking much and you can have a successful day.  You know what effort your training supports.  

2014-07-21 8:22 AM

User image

Originally posted by chevy57

Folks,
I need some advice. I have been signed up for the race and had a family illness happen in December that sidelined my training. Lake Placid is a special place for my family and we always look forward to going. In February I had decided to bag the race and focus on my daughters recovery. On Memorial Day weekend my wife and kids decided that we should go to Lake Placid and that I should do the race. So I started training that weekend. My training has been limited but if focused on getting long rides runs and swims in. I have gotten 3 swims of 2 miles (open water) in. 5 rides over 100 miles and built my long run to 16 miles. I have not done any speed or interval work to speak of. My plan for the race is to go easy and run when I can. I'm not against walking the whole marathon if I have to. I really just want to have fun and finish. Has anyone done an IM with this type of training? This will be my third full IM. I did the Rev3 cedar point and IMLP in 2012. Thoughts?
Kevin

I believe (and since I'm just training for my first, take this with a grain of salt), that you could complete the IM having done those kind of sessions, yeah, you aren't goign to be fast, but its doable - I'm 70 days out from Chatt - my longest run to date is 14 miles, no speed/sprint work - my coach's only goal is to get me to the start line uninjured (other non-athletic medical issues this year) - do run/walks for your run if needed (right now, i'm doing a 4 min run/2 walk - which is netting me about an 11:45 average on my longer runs)
2014-07-22 9:29 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Originally posted by chevy57 Folks, I need some advice. I have been signed up for the race and had a family illness happen in December that sidelined my training. Lake Placid is a special place for my family and we always look forward to going. In February I had decided to bag the race and focus on my daughters recovery. On Memorial Day weekend my wife and kids decided that we should go to Lake Placid and that I should do the race. So I started training that weekend. My training has been limited but if focused on getting long rides runs and swims in. I have gotten 3 swims of 2 miles (open water) in. 5 rides over 100 miles and built my long run to 16 miles. I have not done any speed or interval work to speak of. My plan for the race is to go easy and run when I can. I'm not against walking the whole marathon if I have to. I really just want to have fun and finish. Has anyone done an IM with this type of training? This will be my third full IM. I did the Rev3 cedar point and IMLP in 2012. Thoughts? Kevin

I have 2 IM's with less 100 mile rides and only running up to 16 miles in training. You will be fine. Just pace yourself and don't expect to set a personal record. You got it. Good luck! 

2014-07-29 5:50 AM
in reply to: #5027364

New user
You can do it. Won't be pretty though. I just did Ironman Canada on less training than that due to family commitments. I'm not genetically blessed either. 16 hours and change later I finished. But it was a long and slow day with stressful mental math trying to figure out if I'd male the cutoffs.
2014-07-29 6:25 AM
in reply to: #5031843

Extreme Veteran
Stock r,
You were correct on everything. It was a long day. But I finished. Not sure of my time at one point the results page showed 15:58. I went in the water at 6:45am and it was 11:42pm when I finished. So unless their are correcting for the one mile walk back to T1 I think I had a 16:57 time. I don't care either way I was racing for a bigger cause. When I finished Mike Reilly stopped me in the shoot and made me look into his eyes as he said, "Kevin Shaw you are an ironman for Maddie." I was crying like a baby. I could see in his face that he felt my pain. An amazing day.
Kevin

2014-07-29 6:54 AM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City

Stock r,
You were correct on everything. It was a long day. But I finished. Not sure of my time at one point the results page showed 15:58. I went in the water at 6:45am and it was 11:42pm when I finished. So unless their are correcting for the one mile walk back to T1 I think I had a 16:57 time. I don't care either way I was racing for a bigger cause. When I finished Mike Reilly stopped me in the shoot and made me look into his eyes as he said, "Kevin Shaw you are an ironman for Maddie." I was crying like a baby. I could see in his face that he felt my pain. An amazing day.
Kevin

I dont know who Maddie is or what exactly you are racing for but what Mike said to you is freaking Awesome!! Congrats on your finish man
2014-07-29 10:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Westminster, Colorado
This is amazing!! Congratulations!
2014-07-29 12:02 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Originally posted by chevy57 Stock r, You were correct on everything. It was a long day. But I finished. Not sure of my time at one point the results page showed 15:58. I went in the water at 6:45am and it was 11:42pm when I finished. So unless their are correcting for the one mile walk back to T1 I think I had a 16:57 time. I don't care either way I was racing for a bigger cause. When I finished Mike Reilly stopped me in the shoot and made me look into his eyes as he said, "Kevin Shaw you are an ironman for Maddie." I was crying like a baby. I could see in his face that he felt my pain. An amazing day. Kevin

Great job! Congratulations! 

2014-07-29 7:30 PM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by dmbfan4life20

Stock r,
Kevin

I dont know who Maddie is or what exactly you are racing for but what Mike said to you is freaking Awesome!! Congrats on your finish man

I assume that Maddie is your daughter who I infer is recovering from something based on your first post.

It sounds like you had an amazing emotional and physical experience. It is incredibly cool the MR recognized you and your daughter and the achievement that this IM signified.

Congratulations. Job well done.
2014-07-30 6:19 AM
in reply to: #5031847

Extreme Veteran
Thanks for all your kind words. I just keep replaying from the gas station to the finish line in my head. Kevin Shaw You Are An Ironman For Maddie. Pretty powerful stuff. Thanks.

2014-08-03 3:39 PM

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Found Team Maddie on FB... Lots of pictures, congrats!
2014-08-03 6:47 PM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Veteran
Murrieta Calif.

Congratulations Kevin, on your daughter's continued success and your finish!!

2014-08-04 8:30 AM
in reply to: ironjim

User image

Regular
Levittown, PA
I wanted to come back and check this thread to see how you made out. I searched and found your facebook page for your daughter and was truly moved. Great job out there. I loved the shirt "It's not when you finish, its why". Congrats to you. Every time I have raced I have seen something that really inspires me. I love reading peoples race recaps and being inspired by some of the things people go thru. Nobody should ever have to go thru what you are going thru, but seeing people do things like the ironman and racing for a cause its amazing. Congrats bud. Great job and way to get it done. My best wishes to you and your family
2014-08-04 8:30 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Levittown, PA
double post

Edited by spiderjunior 2014-08-04 8:31 AM
2014-08-04 6:03 PM
in reply to: #5027364

Extreme Veteran
Folks,
Thanks again for all of your kind words. The shirts were awesome and generated so much energy. Some people had the balls to ask what my why was? So I told my story at least a dozen times during the race. It was an absolutely amazing race. I can't imagine ever quitting. My daughter never gets to quit. We were challenged on the course by wind rain and lightening. This is nothing compared to the challenges I see her go through daily. I did this to prove that the things we think are hard aren't really hard. They may be uncomfortable but not hard. This helped put life in perspective for me. It's is not when you finish it's why. Hopefully my story will motivate you and you will motivate someone else and all that energy comes back around. Thanks for listening and thanks for all the amazing support.
Kevin

2014-08-04 6:23 PM
in reply to: #5035055

Extreme Veteran
Folks.
Thanks again for your kind words. We don't get to pick the cards we are dealt we can only play them the best way we know. I am all about positive energy. The shirts were designed to generate positive energy. I got at least a hundred (not exaggerating) comments on my shirt. Some people asked about my why? And I told my story several times during the race. This generates positive energy , many people say they will pray for Maddie this generates positive energy. So I did the race to prove that hard is relative. Ironman is not hard. Having half of your pelvis removed is hard. Chemo treatments every 18 days for 11 months is hard. Fighting blood infections and fevers is hard. Swimming, biking and running is fun not hard. Ironman can make it uncomfortable, but not hard. I hope my story inspires you and you inspire someone else. This gets the energy flow happening. Thank to all for listening. Many of our local athletes have taken on the slogan maddiestrong or strong like Maddie if you see this it's likely about my daughter. I can tell you from first hand experience that it is easier to say maddiestrong than to actually be maddiestrong.
Kevin
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMLP under trained Rss Feed