Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Anyone with experience in insurance claims and teeth? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-18 11:55 AM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: Anyone with experience in insurance claims and teeth?

Long story short, crashed the bike a month ago and am now looking at one dental implant and three crowns, possibly a veneer. Bike crash was a solo endeavor that put me over the bars. Needless to say the dental repair is not going to be cheap and dental insurance does not cover much at all. 

Just curious if anyone has been through something similar and had any tips for possibly getting some coverage from medical/homeowner's/rental insurance? I'm about to start the process of phone calls but thought it might be beneficial to see if there was any advice floating around first. 

Thanks in advance. 

2014-07-18 12:45 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
Subject: RE: Anyone with experience in insurance claims and teeth?

Unfortunately your homeowners or renters insurance policy is not going to do anything for you in this situation. The small amount of medical payments coverage typically found on these policies is meant for guests at your home that are hurt due to no negligence of yours. Essentially if Grandma trips and sprains her ankle you can offer the medical payments coverage to help her out without admitting any fault on your part. That coverage does not apply to the insured or to permanent members of the household.

Good news is, there is a chance your auto insurance may help you out. It really depends on the company and your contract language, but some companies will pay out auto medical payments when you are hurt as a driver/passenger in a vehicle or when you are hurt on the road as a pedestrian. It is very iffy though, I believe my own policy requires me to be hit by a car for the coverage to apply. So if a car had caused your crash it would apply. Cyclists are typically considered pedestrians in contract language. I bumped my coverage to the max of $25k so if I get run off the road and crash I will get some help with medical bills.

As I recall your wreck did not involve a vehicle so the coverage likely won't apply. However if you get the right adjuster on a good day, anything is possible. Definitely worth a phone call but don't be surprised if they shut you down. 

Other than that there are no standard coverages that would typically apply. However check with your company, different companies offer different "bonus coverages" in their packages, there might be something in there that will give you a few $$s. Good luck!

2014-07-18 12:48 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Pro

I would sue McDonald's.

2014-07-18 1:01 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Originally posted by Left Brain

I would sue McDonald's.

I'm sure somehow this could work.

Thanks Aaron, that's what I was hunting for. Yes it was a solo affair with no car involvement but I've already learned that I would have been much better covered if it had involved a car. Still cracks me up (ha) that medical won't even cover teeth in a situation like an accident. Broken arm, fractured skull, paralysis; sure we'll cover it. Teeth; you're on your own buddy. 

2014-07-18 1:17 PM

Master
, California

Dental insurance is really, really picky about any work on your front teeth, especially veneers.  If you have any documentation of your original injury (clinic visit, initial evaluation, paramedic or police report if they were involved) -- then get it together and send it over to the insurance.  I think with mine they covered like 50%.  But they'll try to give you the run-around claiming that front teeth issues are "cosmetic".  You'll have to be very persistent.

2014-07-18 3:24 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Originally posted by spudone

Dental insurance is really, really picky about any work on your front teeth, especially veneers.  If you have any documentation of your original injury (clinic visit, initial evaluation, paramedic or police report if they were involved) -- then get it together and send it over to the insurance.  I think with mine they covered like 50%.  But they'll try to give you the run-around claiming that front teeth issues are "cosmetic".  You'll have to be very persistent.

What was your incident? Was it dental or medical insurance that ended up covering half?

So far everyone is steering me to medical as being the only possible avenue that might assist. As I expected, auto and homeowner's was a strike out. 

2014-07-18 3:41 PM

User image

Pro

There are other options:

(newteeth.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
newteeth.jpg (3KB - 11 downloads)
2014-07-18 3:49 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

I was considering Ipe

2014-07-18 3:50 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
, California

Originally posted by thebigb

What was your incident? Was it dental or medical insurance that ended up covering half?

So far everyone is steering me to medical as being the only possible avenue that might assist. As I expected, auto and homeowner's was a strike out. 

Slipped on ice and fell, caught myself on my hands, but got no traction there either, so my face was the next stop.  Dental was the 50% although it was declined on one attempt, then went through on a different try, probably with a different person on the line.  Also I should note that the root in one tooth was damaged and required a root canal, so that was probably helpful getting them away from the cosmetic label.

Edited by spudone 2014-07-18 3:53 PM
2014-07-18 4:17 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Slipped on ice and fell, caught myself on my hands, but got no traction there either, so my face was the next stop.  Dental was the 50% although it was declined on one attempt, then went through on a different try, probably with a different person on the line.  Also I should note that the root in one tooth was damaged and required a root canal, so that was probably helpful getting them away from the cosmetic label.

Pesky ice.

Still may need a root canal. Waiting a month or two before moving forward to see if that's going to be necessary or not. 

2014-07-18 4:33 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago

There are other options:

That's what his teeth looked like before the fall.

2014-07-18 5:02 PM

Master
, California

Pesky ice.

Still may need a root canal. Waiting a month or two before moving forward to see if that's going to be necessary or not. 

Also talk to your dentist and have his office deal with your insurance.  Tell your dentist you want him to try and get a pre-approval from insurance for the work you need.  It takes a few weeks but they are usually more persuasive than you can be on your own.  Plus your dentist is financially motivated to make it happen.

2014-07-18 5:10 PM

User image

Pro

Hey bigb -  count your blessings, always someone worse, right?  I watched a 17 year old girl faceplant last weekend.........lost 3 cracked 3.....brutal.

Good luck!! I hope it works out.

2014-07-18 5:13 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Hey bigb -  count your blessings, always someone worse, right?  I watched a 17 year old girl faceplant last weekend.........lost 3 cracked 3.....brutal.

Oh absolutely! I'm not one to wallow in self pity. Hell, I'll probably have a better smile anyway once this is all done.

2014-07-18 5:18 PM

User image

Pro

Oh absolutely! I'm not one to wallow in self pity. Hell, I'll probably have a better smile anyway once this is all done.

Yeah, that's why I knew I could have some fun with you.  I got to this girl, she was pretty banged up from head to toe with road rash, and bleeding out of her mouth....I said, "smile at me" so I could see where the blood was coming from.......then I said, "doesn't look too bad".  Damn, I felt bad for her.  She was a trooper.....bandaged up and went to awards ceremony.  Pretty cool.

2014-07-18 5:27 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Yeah, that's why I knew I could have some fun with you.  I got to this girl, she was pretty banged up from head to toe with road rash, and bleeding out of her mouth....I said, "smile at me" so I could see where the blood was coming from.......then I said, "doesn't look too bad".  Damn, I felt bad for her.  She was a trooper.....bandaged up and went to awards ceremony.  Pretty cool.

Like a boss! 

2014-07-20 11:08 PM

User image

Long story short, crashed the bike a month ago and am now looking at one dental implant and three crowns, possibly a veneer. Bike crash was a solo endeavor that put me over the bars. Needless to say the dental repair is not going to be cheap and dental insurance does not cover much at all. 

Just curious if anyone has been through something similar and had any tips for possibly getting some coverage from medical/homeowner's/rental insurance? I'm about to start the process of phone calls but thought it might be beneficial to see if there was any advice floating around first. 

Thanks in advance. 

Look to your auto insurance for "medical payments". Most people have some on their policy, usually $1,000 is a minimum., you can carry larger amounts it''s inexpensive and covers a lot. If you have a good agent he should be able to help guide you through the process. If not call the claims department. 

It's cheap relatively speaking, find out the maximum you can add and find out the price. 

2014-07-20 11:12 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Originally posted by Aarondb4

Unfortunately your homeowners or renters insurance policy is not going to do anything for you in this situation. The small amount of medical payments coverage typically found on these policies is meant for guests at your home that are hurt due to no negligence of yours. Essentially if Grandma trips and sprains her ankle you can offer the medical payments coverage to help her out without admitting any fault on your part. That coverage does not apply to the insured or to permanent members of the household.

Good news is, there is a chance your auto insurance may help you out. It really depends on the company and your contract language, but some companies will pay out auto medical payments when you are hurt as a driver/passenger in a vehicle or when you are hurt on the road as a pedestrian. It is very iffy though, I believe my own policy requires me to be hit by a car for the coverage to apply. So if a car had caused your crash it would apply. Cyclists are typically considered pedestrians in contract language. I bumped my coverage to the max of $25k so if I get run off the road and crash I will get some help with medical bills.

As I recall your wreck did not involve a vehicle so the coverage likely won't apply. However if you get the right adjuster on a good day, anything is possible. Definitely worth a phone call but don't be surprised if they shut you down. 

Other than that there are no standard coverages that would typically apply. However check with your company, different companies offer different "bonus coverages" in their packages, there might be something in there that will give you a few $$s. Good luck!

I'm not positive but if you are struck by another motorist and it is a hit and run, I believe your Un-insured/Under-insured motorists coverage would respond.

You could be right about a "motor" vehicle needing to be involved for the Med Pay to respond. 

2014-07-24 5:43 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Starting to bang my head against the wall. Talked to insurance (Cigna) and explained the situation. Their response was "yes, that will fall under medical because it was an accident" and provided me with a list of oral surgeons that are in network and I can see. Every single one of them has been a bust. Most of them only work with Medical claims for apnea or other (non teeth) issues or the only medical billing they do in network is for emergency trauma at the hospital itself. So I can get coverage but I can't find anyone that will actually do the freaking work!

2014-07-25 7:34 AM

User image

Expert
did you get it in writing from them that it is covered?
2014-07-25 9:42 AM

User image

Starting to bang my head against the wall. Talked to insurance (Cigna) and explained the situation. Their response was "yes, that will fall under medical because it was an accident" and provided me with a list of oral surgeons that are in network and I can see. Every single one of them has been a bust. Most of them only work with Medical claims for apnea or other (non teeth) issues or the only medical billing they do in network is for emergency trauma at the hospital itself. So I can get coverage but I can't find anyone that will actually do the freaking work!

If insurance will cover it can you pay for it and get it reimbursed from your insurance company?

2014-07-25 11:54 AM
in reply to: ajusf16

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Originally posted by ajusf16 did you get it in writing from them that it is covered?

It actually is detailed in my policy, they showed exactly where to me.

As far as reimbursement- no clue but I highly doubt it since I'm working with an HMO here. (as an aside, I had a great PPO up until this year) But my next call I make will certainly include an inquiry to this. 

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Anyone with experience in insurance claims and teeth? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Insurance claim after hit by car

Started by csharp1171
Views: 2476 Posts: 15

2012-08-20 11:33 AM C F

homeowners insurance claim

Started by azelizabeth
Views: 871 Posts: 4

2009-04-23 9:26 PM colesdad

anyone have experience with custody cases?

Started by katiefrog15
Views: 766 Posts: 11

2007-10-23 10:45 AM pinktrigal

Anyone else experiencing early spring allergies.

Started by JenBunn1e
Views: 420 Posts: 2

2007-01-12 12:47 PM lobstergirl

Anyone with ARD/IEP experience?????

Started by houston-tri-mamma
Views: 951 Posts: 4

2005-05-18 4:07 PM houston-tri-mamma
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack

date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing
date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon

date : October 5, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussion on training and weightloss, what to do if the cafeteria has no good food, sweet tooth problems and the importance of nutrient timing.
date : October 2, 2005
author : writers2
comments : 20
My First Half Ironman Experience-A Slow, Fat, Old Triathlete. Here is my story of my first, and probably only Half Ironman. I’m an almost 52 year old, VERY Athena triathlete.