General Discussion Triathlon Talk » changes coming to ITU AG worlds Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2014-07-22 9:35 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: changes coming to ITU AG worlds

At AG naitonals this year there will be a Super Sprint DL relay showcase......top Jr. and U23 Triathletes are participating.  It's Saturday after the Oly race.  If you are going to the race you should stick around to watch the relay race.....smoking fast!

2014-07-22 9:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by dmiller5

Originally posted by msteiner

Good thing I'm planning on working on my swim a ton this off-season.

you and me both. 20k yards a week club?

At least!  I'm thinking of making a "More kicking than Van Damme" mentor group!

2014-07-22 9:39 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by BuckHamilton Wonder if it will start team racing will riders from earlier waves will hang back for there a racer to come on the bike then drag them around the course so they are ready for the run. Pretty sure draft legal is not for me as I do not trust riding in groups of people I know let alone a bunch of race crazy strangers. How is this going to attract new participants to the sport?

It already does.  It attracts thousands of youth and juniors....the absolute future of triathlon.  I'd like to see the day when USAT is like USA Swimming, with youth/jr. club teams all over the country and DL races every weekend during the season.  It's coming....it will take a few years, but the youth/jr. movement in triathlon is exploding, there are more and more teams every year.  In 2020, hoefully, you will see Super Sprint Relay triathlon in the Olympics.....we already see it at the Jr. and Elite level.....it's a blast.

If anyone is close, come to Westchester, Ohio the weekend of 8/2-8/3 for the Youth/Jr. Elite National championships......you will be blown away by what you see these kids doing.  Sunday is the relay. 

But this already exists for youth.

So how is AG drafting going to help on the youth side ?

And for the record, I think this is interesting, very interesting, but there are a lot of details to iron out and how the national bodies will embrace this is TBD.

2014-07-22 9:51 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Pro

Originally posted by marcag

Originally posted by BuckHamilton Wonder if it will start team racing will riders from earlier waves will hang back for there a racer to come on the bike then drag them around the course so they are ready for the run. Pretty sure draft legal is not for me as I do not trust riding in groups of people I know let alone a bunch of race crazy strangers. How is this going to attract new participants to the sport?

It already does.  It attracts thousands of youth and juniors....the absolute future of triathlon.  I'd like to see the day when USAT is like USA Swimming, with youth/jr. club teams all over the country and DL races every weekend during the season.  It's coming....it will take a few years, but the youth/jr. movement in triathlon is exploding, there are more and more teams every year.  In 2020, hoefully, you will see Super Sprint Relay triathlon in the Olympics.....we already see it at the Jr. and Elite level.....it's a blast.

If anyone is close, come to Westchester, Ohio the weekend of 8/2-8/3 for the Youth/Jr. Elite National championships......you will be blown away by what you see these kids doing.  Sunday is the relay. 

But this already exists for youth. So how is AG drafting going to help on the youth side ? And for the record, I think this is interesting, very interesting, but there are a lot of details to iron out and how the national bodies will embrace this is TBD.

Marc - there are a ton of kids who want to do DL racing and can't because the number of races are limited.  I'm for more DL races....ALOT more.  It appears, from what I've heard, that we will probably get at least double the number of DL races for Youth/Jr. elite next year.....and now some of these kids are also gratuating out of youth/Jr. and still want to race DL....so it's good to have it move to the AG level.

I think there will always be room for AG non-draft racing.....but it's great to see DL racing pushing into the mainstream. 

Like I said.....I want to see triathlon like USA swimming is 10-15 years down the road. 

We are not the future of triathlon.....the kids are.

2014-07-22 9:54 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I think this may be the best mentor group of all time.

Seriously though, if we could get a swim focus mentor group going that would be great.

2014-07-22 9:57 AM

User image

Pro

Seriously though, if we could get a swim focus mentor group going that would be great.

Remember the dinosaur's words......"you can't win a triathlon with the swim".  bwaaaaaaaahahahahaha!!!!

2014-07-22 10:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Remember the dinosaur's words......"you can't win a triathlon with the swim".  bwaaaaaaaahahahahaha!!!!

Real tough to get under 2:05 without a 22 minute swim dinosaurs :D

2014-07-22 10:09 AM

Master
Northern IL

And you still can't. It's the second (and often forgotten) part that will become even more pronounced. "... but it can be lost."

2014-07-22 10:12 AM

Master
Northern IL

Mentor Group and/or Challenge could work. A name like that is too awesome NOT to join in!

2014-07-22 10:13 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pro

Originally posted by brigby1

And you still can't. It's the second (and often forgotten) part that will become even more pronounced. "... but it can be lost."

Probably the new saying, for all of triathlon, should be, "you can't win a triathlon without a good swim"....because you can't.  Those days are largely gone.

2014-07-22 10:15 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Well if its a single loop then changes for the world championship this actually makes sense. Especially if you put them in rank of finish times.

riders that get left behind could get ran over up by next wave which could cause issues. IF you have 15 to 20 minutes between waves is this going to cause much of an issue? I think when I looked difference between 1 place and 18th place in my age was 10 minutes. If you start every 15 minutes chances are you maybe only catch group ahead of you on the run which is not a huge deal then.

If its a double loop course like Chicago was then I could see issues for sure especially if one group starting loop 2 while 1 group is starting loop one.

2014-07-22 10:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Probably the new saying, for all of triathlon, should be, "you can't win a triathlon without a good swim"....because you can't.  Those days are largely gone.

Maybe the short course saying. Long course, tbd
2014-07-22 10:41 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by Left Brain Probably the new saying, for all of triathlon, should be, "you can't win a triathlon without a good swim"....because you can't.  Those days are largely gone.
Maybe the short course saying. Long course, tbd

True enough.

2014-07-22 10:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

You can't win a triathlon without an Iron gut. ~Long Course Proverb

2014-07-22 11:33 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by chirunner134 Well if its a single loop then changes for the world championship this actually makes sense. Especially if you put them in rank of finish times. riders that get left behind could get ran over up by next wave which could cause issues. IF you have 15 to 20 minutes between waves is this going to cause much of an issue? I think when I looked difference between 1 place and 18th place in my age was 10 minutes. If you start every 15 minutes chances are you maybe only catch group ahead of you on the run which is not a huge deal then. If its a double loop course like Chicago was then I could see issues for sure especially if one group starting loop 2 while 1 group is starting loop one.

Things like this could be all over the place, depending on what the various race organizers want to do. Worlds is qualification, so the people there will probably have at least some idea of what they're doing. The levels below will have to balance out the competitiveness, clean racing, and inclusiveness of the events. Different races will move around the emphasis. While there absolutely should be tough events where you have to keep up or you're out, I think it'll be interesting to see how the inclusiveness is handled. Looking more at smaller or local race-like, how fast is reasonable for people to get to in order to do this type of race.

2014-07-22 12:42 PM

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member

Draft legal exposes your weaknesses. You can't hide a subpar swim with an extraordinary bike. You just won't catch the 10 guys who got out of the water together. It means you have to be a complete triathlete, not just a runner, cyclist, or swimmer that can kind of do the other two.

I'm coming in a bit late, but I don't think this will be true once you get past the REALLY pointy end of the field. It only exposes if your run is weaker than others in your AG. In AG racing, I think DL will easily let you hide a sub-par bike or swim (relative to the field, that is). Let's look at a local race for me. Placed 2nd in my AG. Turn that race draft legal and I don't even get on the podium. Why? I'm second out of the water and never see the leader on the bike. The guy that was 1:06 behind me on the swim latches on the guy that had the fastest bike split in the AG (but was 1:20 behind me on the swim). So instead of that first guy losing another 1:31 and coming into T2 2:30 behind me, we all roll in together when they pass me with less than a mile to go and I latch on. The fast biker is a lousy runner or blows up. The other guy runs 20 seconds/mile faster than me and takes second (instead of fourth as he did in the actual race).

So 2nd fastest swim in the AG (over 1' in front of 3rd), 3rd fastest bike (another minute over 3rd), 6th fastest run (by less than 40 seconds), and I would have missed the podium.

2014-07-22 12:49 PM
in reply to: dgunthert

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by dgunthert
Originally posted by dmiller5 Draft legal exposes your weaknesses. You can't hide a subpar swim with an extraordinary bike. You just won't catch the 10 guys who got out of the water together. It means you have to be a complete triathlete, not just a runner, cyclist, or swimmer that can kind of do the other two.
I'm coming in a bit late, but I don't think this will be true once you get past the REALLY pointy end of the field. It only exposes if your run is weaker than others in your AG. In AG racing, I think DL will easily let you hide a sub-par bike or swim (relative to the field, that is). Let's look at a local race for me. Placed 2nd in my AG. Turn that race draft legal and I don't even get on the podium. Why? I'm second out of the water and never see the leader on the bike. The guy that was 1:06 behind me on the swim latches on the guy that had the fastest bike split in the AG (but was 1:20 behind me on the swim). So instead of that first guy losing another 1:31 and coming into T2 2:30 behind me, we all roll in together when they pass me with less than a mile to go and I latch on. The fast biker is a lousy runner or blows up. The other guy runs 20 seconds/mile faster than me and takes second (instead of fourth as he did in the actual race). So 2nd fastest swim in the AG (over 1' in front of 3rd), 3rd fastest bike (another minute over 3rd), 6th fastest run (by less than 40 seconds), and I would have missed the podium.

well idk about all this because maybe you had someone in another age group to work with on the bike. you can't take a race and the make up a draft legal scenario.

what I can tell you is that if you come out of the water 3 minutes behind a group of strong triathletes you aren't catching them.

2014-07-22 12:50 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by dmiller5 Draft legal exposes your weaknesses. You can't hide a subpar swim with an extraordinary bike. You just won't catch the 10 guys who got out of the water together. It means you have to be a complete triathlete, not just a runner, cyclist, or swimmer that can kind of do the other two.
I'm coming in a bit late, but I don't think this will be true once you get past the REALLY pointy end of the field. It only exposes if your run is weaker than others in your AG. In AG racing, I think DL will easily let you hide a sub-par bike or swim (relative to the field, that is). Let's look at a local race for me. Placed 2nd in my AG. Turn that race draft legal and I don't even get on the podium. Why? I'm second out of the water and never see the leader on the bike. The guy that was 1:06 behind me on the swim latches on the guy that had the fastest bike split in the AG (but was 1:20 behind me on the swim). So instead of that first guy losing another 1:31 and coming into T2 2:30 behind me, we all roll in together when they pass me with less than a mile to go and I latch on. The fast biker is a lousy runner or blows up. The other guy runs 20 seconds/mile faster than me and takes second (instead of fourth as he did in the actual race). So 2nd fastest swim in the AG (over 1' in front of 3rd), 3rd fastest bike (another minute over 3rd), 6th fastest run (by less than 40 seconds), and I would have missed the podium.

DL racing is rarely that simple.  The guy who got out of the water first has to decide whether to TT the entire race or wait for a pack and save his legs. There is a lot of strategy involved.  Yes, forget about the pointy end as far as winiing overall....the kids will win 90% of that.  They're a battle tested bunch and pretty much win everywhere they go at the sprint distance even without DL (look at Chicago). 

The real game changer will be whether the race is multiple laps, with people getting lapped out, or if it's a single lap race.  Then a lot can happen.....especially if you are allowed to grab the wheel of packs already on the course when you get out of the water.  Realistically, to start with anyway, the only people ridingin true packs will be the kids who grew up with DL or cyclists.

There are WAY too many scenarios to look at before you can come up with a "look at my last AG race, this is what it will look like if it is DL"......it doesn't work that way.

It'll be interesting to see how they configure AG DL races with hundreds, and maybe thousands, or racers.  Right now the fields are limited to 75 because the only real DL series goijng on in this country is youth/Jr....and the top end of that field is way faster than most people think....  1:10/100 swim, 25-27mph bike, sub 17:00 5K to about 20 deep in most races.

Give it a chance before you decide how it will go......it's GREAT racing!

Edited by Left Brain 2014-07-22 12:56 PM
2014-07-22 12:58 PM
in reply to: dgunthert

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

I'm coming in a bit late, but I don't think this will be true once you get past the REALLY pointy end of the field. It only exposes if your run is weaker than others in your AG. In AG racing, I think DL will easily let you hide a sub-par bike or swim (relative to the field, that is). Let's look at a local race for me. Placed 2nd in my AG. Turn that race draft legal and I don't even get on the podium. Why? I'm second out of the water and never see the leader on the bike. The guy that was 1:06 behind me on the swim latches on the guy that had the fastest bike split in the AG (but was 1:20 behind me on the swim). So instead of that first guy losing another 1:31 and coming into T2 2:30 behind me, we all roll in together when they pass me with less than a mile to go and I latch on. The fast biker is a lousy runner or blows up. The other guy runs 20 seconds/mile faster than me and takes second (instead of fourth as he did in the actual race).

So 2nd fastest swim in the AG (over 1' in front of 3rd), 3rd fastest bike (another minute over 3rd), 6th fastest run (by less than 40 seconds), and I would have missed the podium.

While that is one possibility, based on my experience with DL racing, I would guess that instead of the fastest cyclist having the guy who lost time to you latch on, he gets his doors blown off by the fastest cyclist or smokes himself trying to hang in the draft. In the event that he actually catches you by following the strongest rider, you jump on the back of the group and you and the strongest rider push the pace and either spit this guy out or chew him up so badly he implodes on the run.

Shane
2014-07-22 1:09 PM

User image

Champion

Realistically, to start with anyway, the only people ridingin true packs will be the kids who grew up with DL or cyclists.

I've raced DL 3 times; two oly's and one sprint; the oly's had 10km bike loops and the sprint had a 5km.

The first (an oly) I drafted for a grand total of 7km; on the last buoy of the swim I saw there was a group of 10 just ahead. I hammered the swim to catch them, transitioned well and came out in the pack just to cramp up in both calves. I had several groups go by but it wasn't until the last lap that things loosened up enough to grab on with a group of 3 and just hang on the back.

The second (sprint) was with juniors and U23s; hammered the swim but was 3 minutes down coming out of the water (with two buddies of mine); we started as a small group but one guy was super strong and dropped me about 2km in and then the other guy at 3km. I just couldn't bridge the gap back to the other guy and ended up getting lapped out by the lead group of 20-25 with less than 400m to start my final lap.

The last one, I was out of the water with a group, rode well in the group for about 25km until we got ripped apart by a cross wind (I made a terrible mistake of pulling off the front just as we turned for the cross wind leg) and did the next 5km solo before grabbing another group for the last 10km.

My experience, both coaching and racing DL, is that the bike is rarely the ride in the park that people expect and even if you know what you should do, unless you're a strong cyclist, there's a good chance you're going to get chewed up and spit out.

Shane
2014-07-22 1:11 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by gsmacleod
Originally posted by dgunthert I'm coming in a bit late, but I don't think this will be true once you get past the REALLY pointy end of the field. It only exposes if your run is weaker than others in your AG. In AG racing, I think DL will easily let you hide a sub-par bike or swim (relative to the field, that is). Let's look at a local race for me. Placed 2nd in my AG. Turn that race draft legal and I don't even get on the podium. Why? I'm second out of the water and never see the leader on the bike. The guy that was 1:06 behind me on the swim latches on the guy that had the fastest bike split in the AG (but was 1:20 behind me on the swim). So instead of that first guy losing another 1:31 and coming into T2 2:30 behind me, we all roll in together when they pass me with less than a mile to go and I latch on. The fast biker is a lousy runner or blows up. The other guy runs 20 seconds/mile faster than me and takes second (instead of fourth as he did in the actual race). So 2nd fastest swim in the AG (over 1' in front of 3rd), 3rd fastest bike (another minute over 3rd), 6th fastest run (by less than 40 seconds), and I would have missed the podium.
While that is one possibility, based on my experience with DL racing, I would guess that instead of the fastest cyclist having the guy who lost time to you latch on, he gets his doors blown off by the fastest cyclist or smokes himself trying to hang in the draft. In the event that he actually catches you by following the strongest rider, you jump on the back of the group and you and the strongest rider push the pace and either spit this guy out or chew him up so badly he implodes on the run. Shane

I sure as heck would not make it easy for someone to hang on unless I knew there would be some benefit. Getting rid of anyone who couldn't help.

Can there really be an "overall" winner with DL and different waves? Technically yes, fastest time, but so much would depend on "thems the breaks".

2014-07-22 1:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

So is all this excitement going to get you on a race course ?

2014-07-22 1:16 PM

User image

Champion

I sure as heck would not make it easy for someone to hang on unless I knew there would be some benefit. Getting rid of anyone who couldn't help.

Can there really be an "overall" winner with DL and different waves? Technically yes, fastest time, but so much would depend on "thems the breaks".

Due to the logistics of putting on a DL race (closed roads, can't have mixed DL/non-DL at the same time, smaller fields) we've had several races here that combined juniors and U23's. Then we just had a male wave and female wave and the rule was that males drafted males and females drafted females. For these there was a winner for each category and the junior winner was usually one who was strong enough to ride with the U23s. We've gotten to the point that we usually can just have junior waves but I suspect something similar for AG DL - a wave that has all of one gender (or all of certain AG's) and whoever crosses the line first in the AG is that AG winner.

Shane
2014-07-22 1:17 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by marcag So is all this excitement going to get you on a race course ?

Not until the kids are done....it just wasn't working.  If you saw their schedule for training and travel you'd get it.  I've raced plenty, and have plenty coming....but for now it's about them.  I'm happy I can provide this opportunity for them, and that I have the time and opportunity to watch them progress....it's more than enough for me.

2014-07-22 1:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by gsmacleod
Originally posted by dgunthert I'm coming in a bit late, but I don't think this will be true once you get past the REALLY pointy end of the field. It only exposes if your run is weaker than others in your AG. In AG racing, I think DL will easily let you hide a sub-par bike or swim (relative to the field, that is). Let's look at a local race for me. Placed 2nd in my AG. Turn that race draft legal and I don't even get on the podium. Why? I'm second out of the water and never see the leader on the bike. The guy that was 1:06 behind me on the swim latches on the guy that had the fastest bike split in the AG (but was 1:20 behind me on the swim). So instead of that first guy losing another 1:31 and coming into T2 2:30 behind me, we all roll in together when they pass me with less than a mile to go and I latch on. The fast biker is a lousy runner or blows up. The other guy runs 20 seconds/mile faster than me and takes second (instead of fourth as he did in the actual race). So 2nd fastest swim in the AG (over 1' in front of 3rd), 3rd fastest bike (another minute over 3rd), 6th fastest run (by less than 40 seconds), and I would have missed the podium.
While that is one possibility, based on my experience with DL racing, I would guess that instead of the fastest cyclist having the guy who lost time to you latch on, he gets his doors blown off by the fastest cyclist or smokes himself trying to hang in the draft. In the event that he actually catches you by following the strongest rider, you jump on the back of the group and you and the strongest rider push the pace and either spit this guy out or chew him up so badly he implodes on the run. Shane

Aren't a lot of road races decided by "thems the breaks" situations.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » changes coming to ITU AG worlds Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

The 2014 ITU Grand Final / AG worlds sorta "Official Thread"

Started by simpsonbo
Views: 694 Posts: 1

2014-06-24 7:53 PM simpsonbo

Ironman AG World Champion Clay Emge

Started by TripleThreatTri
Views: 927 Posts: 1

2013-11-23 2:52 PM TripleThreatTri

AG Sprint Worlds 2011 qualifier?

Started by tkd.teacher
Views: 612 Posts: 3

2010-07-13 5:42 PM smilford

ITU Edomonton/World Masters Games

Started by kausnfxx
Views: 447 Posts: 1

2005-07-17 8:31 PM kausnfxx

Hamburg triathlon (ITU World Cup)

Started by bambino
Views: 757 Posts: 4

2005-05-08 6:22 PM bambino
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 18, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
BT amateurs compete in San Diego race on the world stage.

date : May 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.
date : April 3, 2005
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The day that I decided to participate in a triathlon really changed my view of my own obstacles of matching the mind to the body and the spirit to contribute to society.

date : December 14, 2004
author : Team BT
Q&A with Siri Lagley, winner of the ITU President’s Cup racing series two years in a row and coach of Susan Williams, US Athens triathlete.
date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"