General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Two for two getting yelled at by idiot drivers on my bike at Island Lake Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-19 9:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Subject: Two for two getting yelled at by idiot drivers on my bike at Island Lake
Ugh. Today during my ride, some guy decided to yell at me, "You can't take up the whole road!" Keep in mind I was riding maybe two feet max inside the side of the road. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) I was cramming a bar in my mouth at the time so my only response was "Uh huh!"

The last time I was there, on Independence Day, some lady yelled, "There's a bike path!" There were at least a hundred cyclists out at Island Lake on Independence Day -- did she yell at every single one or was I the lucky one that day?

I used to feel comfortable riding at Island Lake because I felt drivers understood it was a hotbed for cyclists. Now, I'm not so sure. =( I try to trade weeks with Hines Drive since that is closed to traffic on Saturdays, but Hines Drive doesn't have a nice lake I can swim in beforehand!

2014-07-21 8:24 AM
in reply to: Miles around Midtown

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Subject: RE: Two for two getting yelled at by idiot drivers on my bike at Island Lake
I don't get to ILRA as much as I used to, but I've never had that happen. I wouldn't let those two incidents stop you. July 4 has to be just an outlier due to the amount of people who come to the park that aren't normally there.

And unfortunately, they could have signs up explaining there's a bike race going on and some idiot would still feel the need to complain.
2014-07-21 4:30 PM
in reply to: MSU_Brad

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Subject: RE: Two for two getting yelled at by idiot drivers on my bike at Island Lake
Originally posted by MSU_Brad

July 4 has to be just an outlier due to the amount of people who come to the park that aren't normally there.

Yeah, I figured as much for this lady. And what cracked me up about the dude Saturday was that he immediately had to slow down due to some tree trimming happening up ahead.

I sent an online comment card to the park encouraging them to adopt a "share the road" campaign inside the park. We'll see if anything happens. If nothing else, I only have four long rides left before race day. =P
2014-07-22 12:34 PM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Originally posted by Miles around Midtown

July 4 has to be just an outlier due to the amount of people who come to the park that aren't normally there.

Yeah, I figured as much for this lady. And what cracked me up about the dude Saturday was that he immediately had to slow down due to some tree trimming happening up ahead.

I sent an online comment card to the park encouraging them to adopt a "share the road" campaign inside the park. We'll see if anything happens. If nothing else, I only have four long rides left before race day. =P

Based on the date, I'm assuming you're doing the MiTi Half? I hope your training is going well!
2014-07-22 3:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Based on the date, I'm assuming you're doing the MiTi Half? I hope your training is going well!

I am! I'm just starting to freak out about it. I'm mostly worried about the bike and the running after the bike. =) Thanks for the kind words.
2014-07-23 8:34 AM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI

I am! I'm just starting to freak out about it. I'm mostly worried about the bike and the running after the bike. =) Thanks for the kind words.

I've heard it is a great race. I was tempted to come out and do the half aquabike, but I am doing the Ludington race that same day. I also thought about volunteering. It's too bad they shifted Ludington back by a week this year!

Just a month left. I'm sure all of your hard work is paying off, and soon you'll be tapering and feeling awesome!

2014-07-24 7:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

I've heard it is a great race. I was tempted to come out and do the half aquabike, but I am doing the Ludington race that same day. I also thought about volunteering. It's too bad they shifted Ludington back by a week this year!

Just a month left. I'm sure all of your hard work is paying off, and soon you'll be tapering and feeling awesome!

I did the half aqua last year and it was pretty fun. I had just done Steelhead so I really wasn't excited about running again, thus the aqua bike was a great fit. Doing an aqua is a really odd strategy. Basically just a TT.
2014-07-27 12:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan

Make that three for three...

I was out riding yesterday and some lady decided to inform me out her car window that I was a "slut."

I mean, I WAS wearing a sleeveless jersey, but am I supposed to train in a burqa?

"Get off the road," "There's a bike path," all comments like that I can kind of understand, but "Slut"?

Ridiculous, and it really makes me think twice about where I choose to ride.
2014-07-28 9:53 AM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI

Make that three for three...

I was out riding yesterday and some lady decided to inform me out her car window that I was a "slut."

I mean, I WAS wearing a sleeveless jersey, but am I supposed to train in a burqa?

"Get off the road," "There's a bike path," all comments like that I can kind of understand, but "Slut"?

Ridiculous, and it really makes me think twice about where I choose to ride.

Geez, I hope this message doesn't paint me the wrong way, but...

I swam and ran with Amy (noelle) at ILRA last week on Tuesday, I think it was. Very hot day. We arrived pretty early (about 4:30) and both parked at Kent Lake. The crowd there was "interesting" to say the least. I am a huge fan of ILRA for all that it offers, but on the really hot summer days, there is definitely a certain "element" there. I think that Spring Mill Pond catches the worst of it, but you get quite a bit of low class individuals at Kent Lake as well. Unfortunately, since Spring Mill is a few miles in from the entrance, you are of course going to get some idiots driving by you and saying ridiculous things like that.

Amy and I finished our run right as a rather comical scene was occurring. There was a young girl and her boyfriend walking together, and about 25 yards behind her was another young lady (pardon my rudeness, but she was wearing a bikini and should NOT have been doing so by a good 50 lbs) following along behind them. The trailing girl was screaming at the top of her lungs at the other girl, and continued to do so as they walked all the way across the park to the changing area. Once they were in the building, you could still hear them going at it. I am pretty sure that they were still doing so as I finished stretching out and got loaded into the car to leave. The content of the screaming was rather rough, too, as we saw one family walk by and the mom had to start singing in an attempt to get her kids to sing along and not pay attention to the situation going on.

Don't let it deter you from ILRA. It really is a great place, and I generally have no issues while there.

FYI - we are tentatively planning to meet there again next Tuesday (August 5) if you have any interest in joining. As much as I like Trout, we'll probably buoy chase at Kent Lake and then run would be my guess. I don't know time yet.
2014-07-30 9:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan

Amy and I finished our run right as a rather comical scene was occurring. There was a young girl and her boyfriend walking together, and about 25 yards behind her was another young lady (pardon my rudeness, but she was wearing a bikini and should NOT have been doing so by a good 50 lbs) following along behind them. The trailing girl was screaming at the top of her lungs at the other girl, and continued to do so as they walked all the way across the park to the changing area. Once they were in the building, you could still hear them going at it. I am pretty sure that they were still doing so as I finished stretching out and got loaded into the car to leave. The content of the screaming was rather rough, too, as we saw one family walk by and the mom had to start singing in an attempt to get her kids to sing along and not pay attention to the situation going on.

Oh my goodness! Well, this makes me feel a little better. At least women in bikinis aren't chasing after me and yelling!

You are right about the "element." On cooler days early in the season, the park is packed with happy athletes. On hot days later in the season.... not so much.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Two for two getting yelled at by idiot drivers on my bike at Island Lake Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Looking for a used road bike or two

Started by twohearted
Views: 1571 Posts: 3

2012-06-29 9:41 AM wannabefaster

Fraser Bike and Two Wheel Tango

Started by michgirlsk
Views: 4379 Posts: 11

2011-02-10 1:55 PM ParadigmPerformance

Two Wheel Tango Sale 5/5

Started by yeats
Views: 1021 Posts: 1

2010-05-05 1:15 PM yeats

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TWO HEARTED!!!

Started by TrishM
Views: 1124 Posts: 12

2009-12-07 7:41 AM jgrindle16

Friday OWS and Bike at Island Lake 9am

Started by dayooper951
Views: 721 Posts: 1

2007-08-22 2:21 PM dayooper951
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 12, 2013
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Two Legged Squats exercise instruction with video.

date : December 27, 2010
author : mikericci
My question is how do I train for the second Ironman race and continue to improve without "peaking" way too early, becoming stagnant or any of the other training bad words?
date : February 5, 2010
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 1
Trying to figure out how to fit all of your weekly training sessions in? This guide will show the best ways to schedule your two-a-day workouts.

date : February 18, 2008
author : mrakes1
Getting ready for a long workout? Here are some nutritional guidelines on how best to fuel your body in preparation for that long workout.
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : July 2, 2006
author : Ontherun
Gut check! Striking a balance between your two loves can make and keep the relationship strong.
date : June 23, 2006
author : Team BT
Standing Bent Over Two-Arm Dumbbell Extension strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
Here’s a couple of tactics that I have found VERY helpful when it comes to my early morning workouts…hopefully, at least one of them will work for you too!