General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri shorts MORE comfy than bike shorts??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-19 9:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Subject: Tri shorts MORE comfy than bike shorts???
My first 70.3 is in a few weeks and I decided to have a mini-dress rehearsal today with the tri shorts I've worn for all 10 of my previous tris -- sprints and Olympics. I was sure my behind wouldn't be able to handle the whole 60 miles in my tri shorts since they have a thin chamois, so I left my favorite pair of bike shorts in the car for when I needed to change.

Surprise surprise, I felt fine, and maybe even slightly better at the end of my long ride today with that thin chamois. I was able to hop right off the bike for a brick, which also felt fine. So now I can spend the money I was going to drop on new tri shorts on something else instead. =)

Does anyone prefer tri shorts to bike shorts when they are riding long? Mine are Zoot, but if anyone else has a brand they love (I'm female) I'd love to hear recommendations.

2014-07-19 9:22 PM
in reply to: Miles around Midtown

Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: RE: Tri shorts MORE comfy than bike shorts???
I can't remember the last time I wore bike shorts with a chamois. I've done up to 85 miles with tri shorts and had no issues - love them!

For me, adding padding increases friction = ouch!

I teach spin up to 5x/week and ride long on the weekends and use tri shorts for each ride. just use your favorite chamois cream and go!

I have a pair of Zoots, but they aren't my favorite.
I have a pair of Athleta tri shorts too, and they are ok. Have ridden up to 50 miles in them, but again, not my favorite.

I LOVE LOVE my DeSoto Forza shorts - I have 3 pair and rotate through them every week. They are my go to race shorts as well!
2014-07-19 9:31 PM

User image

I find that the extra padding in bike shorts causes problems on my tri bike.
2014-07-19 9:33 PM

User image

I did a half-Iron in my Louis Garneau tri suit and was very comfortable. I'll second the advice for good chamois cream... then you're good to go. I'm picky about chamois (for both bike shorts and tri shorts) -- my favourite for tri racing (long or short distance) is LG's Tri Elite chamois. Full disclosure, I'm supported by LG this season. But even if that wasn't the case, those would be my go-to shorts.
2014-07-19 9:42 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I've worn tri shorts for all my races longer than Oly (a tri and du with 62 km bike legs and a HIM) as well as lots of rides of 3-4 hours, and a few of 5-6 hours, with no problem. I also find them more comfortable for riding in aero. No problems with chafing, sore butt, etc. What seems critical is the fit of the shorts, and maybe how that works with your saddle, rather than distance, at least up to HIM. I had one pair (Pearl Izumi) that gave me horrible chafing in an Oly, while my two Zoots and the shorts of my one-piece 2XU suit do not.
2014-07-20 3:51 AM

User image

Tri shorts for my tri bike and bike shorts for my road bike. Up to and including century rides.

2014-07-20 5:44 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

I think that the chamois on bike shorts tend to be too thick. I like the thinner chamois of tri shorts better. I am sad because Shebeest stopped making tri shorts, and those were my favorites. Terry has some nice, thin chamois, too. Remember that the point of a chamois is not only padding, but to wick moisture away.
2014-07-20 6:18 AM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

I have some 2xu tri shorts (the base model with the thin padding) and I like it more than my other bike shorts. But considering they consist of some 'urban' style ones with a massive pad, and some ebay cheapies I don't have much to go off. I still get quite uncomfy, but I think it is something to do with my fit (got a retul done but still not happy!) or my seat itself!
2014-07-20 7:58 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

I've worn bike shorts once, a long time ago and never again.  It's been all tri shorts/suits since.

Take a look at the Desoto shorts/suits.  They've changed the padding recently from the fleece type and are suppose to be even better.  I really like the Desoto shorts/suits/cycling bibs fit compared to my Zoot suit.

2014-07-20 8:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

I use tri shorts for both my tri bike and road bike.  Way too much padding in the road shorts and that causes me problems.

2014-07-20 1:39 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah
Originally posted by Donto

I've worn bike shorts once, a long time ago and never again.  It's been all tri shorts/suits since.

Take a look at the Desoto shorts/suits.  They've changed the padding recently from the fleece type and are suppose to be even better.  I really like the Desoto shorts/suits/cycling bibs fit compared to my Zoot suit.

You can still get the original fleece type. I just ordered 2 pairs a week ago. FWIW I have another pair of 400mi De Soto's w/ the new pad and I don't care for it much. Better than all my other non De Soto bike/tri shorts, but still not as comfortable as the fleece lining.

Regarding the OP. I have worn the fleece lined De Soto's for all my HIMs, 1x IM, multiple centuries and in 2 weeks a 160mi/+10k elevation bike ride. Absolutely I consider my tri shorts more comfortable than my traditional bike shorts.

2014-07-20 5:01 PM
in reply to: #5027986

I only have cheap bike shorts, but my tri shorts were cheap too. I find the tri shorts much more comfortable. I'm not a fan of the thick chamois either I don't think.
2014-07-20 5:12 PM

User image

Champion
MA

It's all personal preference.

Not all tri shorts are equal or have similar chamois and same goes with bike shorts.

Once your bum gets used to riding lots the chamois matters less.

I don't like the hour glass shape of most tri chamois but ones that are a little bigger and go down the upper part of my thigh.  Some tri chamois are just small piece of fleece where others are like bike chamois but lower profile and not as big.

Find what works for you and go with it. Know in time with more miles your preferences may change.

2014-07-20 8:54 PM
in reply to: #5028162

I did all my training in zoots and did IMLT and the Donner 1/2 in them. I have 5 pairs and rotate through them in training. I had no issues and didn't use cream or any additional stuff. My bike is a P2.
I tried some other tri shorts and one of the seams chaffed so I'm sensitive to hot spots and rubbing
Good luck with you decision
Bobm
2014-07-21 8:30 AM

Arden, North Carolina
Originally posted by Miles around Midtown

My first 70.3 is in a few weeks and I decided to have a mini-dress rehearsal today with the tri shorts I've worn for all 10 of my previous tris -- sprints and Olympics. I was sure my behind wouldn't be able to handle the whole 60 miles in my tri shorts since they have a thin chamois, so I left my favorite pair of bike shorts in the car for when I needed to change.

Surprise surprise, I felt fine, and maybe even slightly better at the end of my long ride today with that thin chamois. I was able to hop right off the bike for a brick, which also felt fine. So now I can spend the money I was going to drop on new tri shorts on something else instead. =)

Does anyone prefer tri shorts to bike shorts when they are riding long? Mine are Zoot, but if anyone else has a brand they love (I'm female) I'd love to hear recommendations.

I went through the same thing when I did my first IM. I had a HIM coming and up to that point did all my training in bike shorts. Knowing I was doing the half in tri shorts I did a training ride in them, and I couldn't believe how much more comfortable they were than the cycling shorts. Since then I wear tri shorts on my longer rides, and cycling shorts on short or trainer rides.
2014-07-21 8:33 AM
in reply to: TriDadinAsheville

User image

Extreme Veteran
wow that was just me who did like the feel of bike shorts compared to tri shorts on a long bike

2014-07-21 12:03 PM
in reply to: BuckHamilton

Wow, I almost feel the need to come to the defense of bib shorts. I think it might be related to the amount of time, we as triathlete's, spend in the aero bars. I do like the thinner pad when I'm in the bars, but if I'm riding on the horns or on the road bike for a long period of time, I'll take a quality pair of bib shorts over any of my trisuits.

When racing, I think the lack of noticing any discomfort in the rear may be more from the pressure you are putting into the pedals more than anything else.

2014-07-21 1:36 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Kristin,

FYI, if interested Desoto just sent out an email and the Women's Carrera regular & lo-rise colored tri-shorts are available for 25% off until 7/24. Code JULYSALE2014.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri shorts MORE comfy than bike shorts??? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri Shorts and bike shorts

Started by ultrahip_00
Views: 1071 Posts: 5

2007-07-14 8:04 PM DW67

tri shorts vs bike shorts for 1/2 IM

Started by tmason
Views: 1630 Posts: 17

2007-06-18 9:11 PM maura9900

bike shorts over tri shorts?

Started by chirunner134
Views: 1618 Posts: 10

2007-06-12 6:59 AM BCYoder

Bike shorts over tri shorts for HIM???

Started by ChrisM
Views: 2064 Posts: 22

2007-04-01 3:07 PM ChrisM

bike shorts/tri shorts

Started by l0wnsl0
Views: 1564 Posts: 15

2006-02-20 11:40 AM cbost2678
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 7, 2013
author : GaryRM
comments : 1
Underwater Audio short-cord swim bud review.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : April 12, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?
date : December 10, 2009
author : stubberoo
The first time out and 50 meters in my oxygen was in very short supply. I realized that all that running didn't do much for this sport.

date : August 20, 2008
author : newhomeowner
comments : 16
If you’re reading this because you’re still not sure, sign up for just one triathlon – a short sprint.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
Downloadable race-day checklist for your triathlon preparation. Everything you need to bring from your bike to drinks.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle