General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » The new kid in Ohio Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-20 7:01 AM

Subject: The new kid in Ohio
Hello everyone! I'm Melissa. Currently living in Dayton Ohio. Yes I am new to all this. For the past few years I have been running marathons, but now I feel like it is time to start a new chapter and adventure in my life!

I'm still in the learning, planning, making sure I am insane part of this process. Right now I am trying to find my first Sprint so I can get my training going. Thanks in advance for all the help! :-)

2014-07-20 9:12 AM
in reply to: Melann225

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: The new kid in Ohio

Melissa,

Welcome!  With your marathon background, the transition to this sport will be easier.  How is your swimming going?  Ohio is a good state for triathlon, lot's of races (HFP Racing and others).  Do you have a goal on when you want to do your first race/

2014-07-20 9:43 AM
in reply to: #5028032

Thanks! I have been semi looking locally. Im currently training for the Columbus full, but I wanted to start some training in soon as I see the endurance couldnt hurt my running? My swimming is decent. I can swim, I grew up in the water and ocean. Now as far as distance and timing, not sure yet. Thats the first thing I figured I should get in and start with. Ive looked up some training plans, so I guess my next step is to pick a race? Oh and find a bike.
2014-07-20 10:33 AM

User image

Aug 3rd right down the road from you in Lebanon Ohio their is a Tri. They have a mini distance if you wanted something very relaxed to try out
2014-07-20 2:49 PM
in reply to: #5028071

Thanks! Im considering the Deer Creek Challenge sprint tri Sept 28th. Its only an hour away, I am unsure the location but the state park seems nice. Hopefully it gives me enough time and I wanted to get one in before the blizzardy winter time :-)
2014-07-20 4:50 PM
in reply to: #5028120

User image

I will be at that now as wekl

2014-07-22 9:03 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Welcome to BT.  I grew up in Ohio and still have family in the area.  

You can search for races here on BT.  There are some in Springfield near the end of August, which, depending on where in Dayton, might be pretty close to you.  

As for getting a bicycle, what kind of riding do you *like* to do?  If you already have a bike, you can ride it for the triathlon as long as it's functionally safe (brakes, bar ends plugged).  

I had an old 10-speed (1981 Huffy) that used for commuting for a couple summers (back in 1981).  I added a kiddy carrier and rode it around the neighborhood with my boys, but tired of constantly watching for glass and the riding position wasn't comfortable for 5 mph cruising around the neighborhood, so I got a mountain bike.  That bike was much better suited for cruising with the boys and riding to the store.  I rode it for my first two tri's before getting another road bike.  I now have the mountain bike, tri bike, and a different road bike and rarely ride the mountain bike (commuting to the store if I choose).  

2014-07-22 9:23 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Veteran
Cincinnati
I live in Cincinnati. The HFP races are great, well organized, pretty cheap and always a good time. There are a number of triathlon clubs to get involved with. I am a part of Cincy Express. Lots of Dayton, Cincinnati and NKY folks. We tons of group rides, runs, swims etc. For sure check it out.
2014-07-28 7:26 PM
in reply to: #5028156

Thanks everyone! I do not have a bike. I have been searching for a decent, safe, maybe used, affordable bike. My biggest hurdle right now! I am excited and hope I really enjoy it.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » The new kid in Ohio Rss Feed