Other Resources My Cup of Joe » eBay ripoff Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-20 8:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
Subject: eBay ripoff
I use eBay regularly for a variety of things.
I recently won the auction for a frame.
I get the frame and it has major cracks in it. The seat pots has a major crack, the down tube and rear drops are cracked.
I contacted the seller who said it was UPS's fault.
My LBS says that the cracks are old, due to the grime and dirt in a few of them.
I asked the seller, for my money back, he told me where to go and how to do it.
Ebay's resolution center is now working on it, but I suspect I won't win.

2014-07-20 7:01 PM
in reply to: louamerica

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: eBay ripoff

Paypal's policies 100% protect the buyer. Assuming you paid via Paypal, file with them and you should get a 100% refund.

2014-07-20 10:27 PM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by briderdt

Paypal's policies 100% protect the buyer. Assuming you paid via Paypal, file with them and you should get a 100% refund.

this.  

2014-07-21 11:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
Thanks for the input.
I tried, but since eBay's resolution center still has it, I can't open another case against the seller.

We'll see what happens.
2014-07-21 2:41 PM

Arden, North Carolina
Originally posted by louamerica

I use eBay regularly for a variety of things.
I recently won the auction for a frame.
I get the frame and it has major cracks in it. The seat pots has a major crack, the down tube and rear drops are cracked.
I contacted the seller who said it was UPS's fault.
My LBS says that the cracks are old, due to the grime and dirt in a few of them.
I asked the seller, for my money back, he told me where to go and how to do it.
Ebay's resolution center is now working on it, but I suspect I won't win.

i won a case for a much less obvious situation than you. I bought a set of cleats, and had moved recently, so my ebay or paypal account(forget which) had my old address. I shot the seller an email seconds after I paid with my new address. The response, "auction states that the item will be shipped to the ebay address." I told him if you ship it there, it will disappear. Response was, "read the auction before buying." So I never got the product, after a fight with the seller, paypay refunded the money.
If I wont that one, you'll surely win an obviously complete lie of a description, and hopefully no one else will buy from that jerk again.
2014-07-21 3:29 PM

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
and after it's resolved I would leave appropriate feedback

2014-07-21 5:56 PM
in reply to: TriDadinAsheville

User image

Originally posted by TriDadinAsheville
Originally posted by louamerica I use eBay regularly for a variety of things. I recently won the auction for a frame. I get the frame and it has major cracks in it. The seat pots has a major crack, the down tube and rear drops are cracked. I contacted the seller who said it was UPS's fault. My LBS says that the cracks are old, due to the grime and dirt in a few of them. I asked the seller, for my money back, he told me where to go and how to do it. Ebay's resolution center is now working on it, but I suspect I won't win.
i won a case for a much less obvious situation than you. I bought a set of cleats, and had moved recently, so my ebay or paypal account(forget which) had my old address. I shot the seller an email seconds after I paid with my new address. The response, "auction states that the item will be shipped to the ebay address." I told him if you ship it there, it will disappear. Response was, "read the auction before buying." So I never got the product, after a fight with the seller, paypay refunded the money. If I wont that one, you'll surely win an obviously complete lie of a description, and hopefully no one else will buy from that jerk again.

Wow, that seller was an idiot! 

I've had similar things happen with a buyer, it really does put the seller in potentially bad situation. What I have done is cancelled the transaction, re-listed it so the buyer could purchase it after the address is corrected. 

For a seller to send something out when the buyer contacted  him is not the right thing to do.  I wonder if PayPal ate it or took it from the seller?

2014-07-21 5:57 PM
in reply to: wwlani

User image

Originally posted by wwlani and after it's resolved I would leave appropriate feedback

Why wait?

2014-07-21 8:00 PM

User image

Was the shipping insured?

2014-07-22 3:54 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Originally posted by Jason N

Was the shipping insured?

UPS I think includes a small amount like $100 I believe.

To the buyer it's really irrelevant E-Bay policy is that the seller owns it until the buyer takes delivery. 

E-Bay/PayPal policies really favor the buyer and do a very good job of protecting them and keeping them happy. 

2014-07-22 7:40 PM
in reply to: crusevegas

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
because what if it is resolved? I had this happen once - bought item A - someone else bought item B - guess what I got? Item B. Contacted seller - they told me to go to paypal. Paypal refunded my $$ so I left neutral feedback.

Although this seller sounds like a jerk so I could see leaving negative

2014-07-23 10:58 AM

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
Quick hijack: If paypal resolves the incident in your favor, do you have to pay the return shipping?
2014-07-23 1:41 PM
in reply to: So Fresh So Clean

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Originally posted by So Fresh So Clean Quick hijack: If paypal resolves the incident in your favor, do you have to pay the return shipping?

It's a rather unfortunate byproduct of the paypal resolution process -- the buyer isn't even really required to return the item. Yep, that's right, there is absolutely no recourse against a buyer who levies a complaint, gets a refund, and keeps the product. Pretty much all a buyer has to do is claim it wasn't as described, paypal will refund the money (taking it from the seller right out of their account if it's linked), and the seller is stuck with nothing.

Which is why I pretty much refuse to sell anything on eBay.

2014-07-23 1:56 PM
in reply to: So Fresh So Clean

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
I am willing to return the frame. I'll even pay the freight.
I just want my money back.
I still have not heard back from ebay.

No, the package was not "insured" as such. It wouldn't have mattered in this case.
The item was not as described. No mention of cracks or chips. Scratches yes.

2014-07-23 2:01 PM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Originally posted by So Fresh So Clean Quick hijack: If paypal resolves the incident in your favor, do you have to pay the return shipping?

It's a rather unfortunate byproduct of the paypal resolution process -- the buyer isn't even really required to return the item. Yep, that's right, there is absolutely no recourse against a buyer who levies a complaint, gets a refund, and keeps the product. Pretty much all a buyer has to do is claim it wasn't as described, paypal will refund the money (taking it from the seller right out of their account if it's linked), and the seller is stuck with nothing.

Wow.  I did not know that about PayPal.  I assume that a repeated offender (one who gets refunds alot) will eventually lose their PayPal account.  Seems like i should be looking for some new race wheels on ebay that somehow got "damaged" during shipping. 

2014-07-23 11:02 PM

User image

Originally posted by wwlani because what if it is resolved? I had this happen once - bought item A - someone else bought item B - guess what I got? Item B. Contacted seller - they told me to go to paypal. Paypal refunded my $$ so I left neutral feedback. Although this seller sounds like a jerk so I could see leaving negative

In your case lani that makes perfect sense. 

In this case it sounds like the seller has already told the buyer to go pound sand, so to speak. So anything that is resolved isn't because the seller is working with him or making it right. 

It really is in the best interest of the seller to work with the buyer to make it right. I'll be shocked if this isn't resolved in the buyers favor. As far as return shipping I would insist that the buyer provide a label or give me money up front to return the item. 

But yes, if the buyer and seller are communicating and attempting to work things out there is no good reason to leave the feedback. 

2014-07-24 10:12 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Yup^^

Lots of stories on car forums of guys getting screwed by Paypal buyers. Paypal tends to side with the buyers in most cases, doesn't take much for them to get to keep the item and get their money back. The you have the sellers scamming people by demanding it is paid for as a gift so paypal doesn't get their fee and the buyer has no recourse against the seller.

I have sold some smaller stuff on ebay and various forums, but for bigger ticket items I prefer CL and a face to face transaction. 

2014-07-24 2:58 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

Master
Memphis, TN
A friend of mine just had this problem when buying a carbon frame Ebay and found later he had a crack just below where the seatpost clamp is.

It's a gamble and sometimes you lose. Lesson learned go to my LBS and buy a frame.
2014-07-25 12:40 PM
in reply to: Jtiger

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
I do a lot of business on Ebay, more buying than selling. I've opened up 4 cases for purchases where the item did not meet the sellers description. Without fail, I've gotten my money back every time. Ebay will go out of their way to make sure buyers are protected.
2014-07-25 2:00 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

Arden, North Carolina
Originally posted by Aarondb4

Yup^^

Lots of stories on car forums of guys getting screwed by Paypal buyers. Paypal tends to side with the buyers in most cases, doesn't take much for them to get to keep the item and get their money back. The you have the sellers scamming people by demanding it is paid for as a gift so paypal doesn't get their fee and the buyer has no recourse against the seller.

I have sold some smaller stuff on ebay and various forums, but for bigger ticket items I prefer CL and a face to face transaction. 

Isn't the other option for large items, such as a car, or even things worth several hundred dollars to use an escrow service? Seller doesn't get their money until the buyer says they're happy. If the buyer isn't happy, they don't get their refund until the seller gets their product back.
I know ebay used to have an escrow service, has that ended?
2014-07-27 5:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
So I was forced to escalate the case.
I even posted pics to the case. I was going to video the inspection of the frame.

The frame is at my LBS. he says the Orbea rep is coming into his store this week. Maybe he'll take the frame and give me something.. Maybe a miracle ?

2014-07-27 9:47 PM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

Me too!  I sold a guy a set of silver-plated forks, NIB.  He smeared some jelly on them, and complained 5 weeks after I shipped them, after I found that he had purchased a larger set for about the same price as I sold him mine..  After an extensive battle with Paypal, I gave up and told him to "keep the frigging forks, my money and his rotten soul."  I hope that KARMA gets this sonofagun.

2014-07-31 5:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
UPDATE..

I won !!!

Seller has agreed to take the busted frame back, and refund my money.
eBay is even paying the freight back to the seller.

Sometimes the lights all shining on me...
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » eBay ripoff Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tool - 10,000 Days - Ripoff?

Started by ChrisM
Views: 1013 Posts: 20

2008-05-21 2:29 PM KenyonTri

Ebay...oie..

Started by bradword
Views: 862 Posts: 10

2006-06-06 1:04 PM ChuckyFinster

unique skinsuit on eBay