General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ordered pedals but have a question? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-20 12:57 PM

User image

Subject: ordered pedals but have a question?
OK just ordered pedals to go along with my shoes I've had for awhile now. Got the "speedplay zero" since I've been hearing good things about these.

Someone told me I should take it to bike shop to get them put on correctly with the cleats? Is this true? Also any tips on my my first few times out being clipped in would be helpful. I'm fairly confident and am sure I wont have a problem but any tips from you people that you think I should be aware of would be appreciated!! thanks in advance for all replys

2014-07-20 2:34 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
Subject: RE: ordered pedals but have a question?

Great choice!  I am a big fan of Speedplay ever since I got them for my daughter; she very quickly became comfortable clipping in and out.

However, they are a kind of a hassle to get right.  The cleat surface has to be exactly precisely perfectly flat or they won't clip in and out correctly.  You have new shoes that may make it easier for you, but for me I was installing them on existing used bike shoes and it took me 4 or 5 tries to get them to work correctly.  As in, bike in the trainer, see if she could clip in and out, nope, take off shoes, fiddle with cleats, try again.  And again. And again. Now they're perfect for her.

Again, for your new shoes it may be easier. They'll come with a variety of shims to put under the cleat so that despite the curve of the base of the shoe the cleat itself can be perfectly flat with concave or convex at all. Then they work great.

As for first time out, go find a slightly downhill grassy area and go try to ride. Gravity will help you if you can't clip in immediately.

IMHO, always always leave the left foot clipped in and unclip from the right to stop.  If you are one of those people who unclips your left foot, then when stopping in the bike lane you can fall INTO traffic if your foot slips on something.  So clip in left foot first, put the pedal at about 10:30 position on the left side, then give a good shove with your left foot, bring up your right foot and clip in with that pedal at either 12, 3, or 6 (top, front, or bottom) position.  if you get too sit, do a one legged pedal circle with your left foot and try again.

Edited by brucemorgan 2014-07-20 2:40 PM
2014-07-20 3:11 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

, Wisconsin
brucemorgan covered it very well! I'd just add to practice getting out quickly as much as possible before getting into traffic. It will be perfectly natural in no time . . .
2014-07-20 3:21 PM
in reply to: #5028099

User image

Please tell me it's just like riding a bike!
I'm on the clip less adventure as well
2014-07-20 3:25 PM
in reply to: Clarkey77

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Clarkey77 Please tell me it's just like riding a bike! I'm on the clip less adventure as well

You will fall, and you will like it.

2014-07-20 3:29 PM
in reply to: MikeD1

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by MikeD1 brucemorgan covered it very well! I'd just add to practice getting out quickly as much as possible before getting into traffic. It will be perfectly natural in no time . . .

Yes this.

Basically find a safe place to practice everything you'd encounter.  I took my daughter to a side road with no traffic and a hill to practice hill starts.  We practiced emergency stops (with a nice grassy hillside next to her if she fell over). We practiced unclipping at a stop sign by stopping a whole bunch of times on side roads.  Stop start stop start stop start in all sorts of conditions.

By her third real ride with them she was quite expert and she has never had a clip / unclip related incident in hundreds of miles of riding with me. That includes two Seattle To Portland 203 mile rides (two years ago when she was 17, and last year when she was 18). In fact I just sent her road bike to her (she's a student at the at the University of Colorado in Boulder now) and she was thrilled to be able to clip in again and ride a road bike.  She's been riding a flat bar city type bike to and from school and it's fun, but much heavier and flat pedals. 

Anyway, I was impressed by her quick success with Speedplay Light Action and that's why I recommend Speedplay now.

2014-07-20 3:39 PM
in reply to: #5028134

User image

Franklin, TN
I've fallen...in my driveway. I had just clipped in and was getting ready to head out onto the street when I saw a car approaching..slammed on the brakes but forgot to unclip...oops. I'd say that's how most people fall...unplanned stops...or turning your wheel toward the clipped in foot as you come to a stop. The wheel needs to be straight or turned slightly toward the unclipped foot as you come to a stop...in other words, your weight needs to be leaning toward the unclipped side when you stop.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ordered pedals but have a question? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

CT Group Order - last chance 12/2 order!

Started by mikericci
Views: 1203 Posts: 5

2011-12-01 5:53 PM aquagirl

Having shop order a compact crank today....finalists and need some advice

Started by kagoscuba
Views: 1777 Posts: 15

2010-04-30 12:30 PM tri42

BT Training plan question: workout order

Started by denny.l
Views: 1155 Posts: 3

2008-08-14 10:48 AM Ron

Question on having a free day!

Started by danceswithducks
Views: 1360 Posts: 14

2007-06-24 6:58 PM zipp1

Race order question

Started by newbiedoo
Views: 660 Posts: 3

2005-10-02 10:10 AM newbiedoo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 10, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
comments : 1
Efficiency and energy conservation are key to faster cycling

date : February 16, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
Road cyclists tend to have a higher cadence than triathletes. Why is this? Is it bad?
date : April 19, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
comments : 15
Learn what the proper pedaling technique looks like and how to become a more efficient and economical cyclist.

date : September 9, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
What is your opinion on cleat position? Is there a general rule that you follow when you first fit an athlete?
date : June 11, 2007
author : sportfactory
Learning about the proper pedal interface, how to best acheive pedal force, good cycling form and bike fit, we can learn to achieve greater bike speed.

date : December 7, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
By becoming more aware of your pedal stroke, you can choose to manipulate where and how you activate your leg muscles as your foot traces the circular trajectory at the cranks.
date : July 30, 2006
author : AMSSM
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.

date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.