Lima, Ohio
United States
Lima Family YMCA
Total Time = 1h 15m 58s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 2/15
Pre-race routine:

Right from the start I did not have the motivation for this race. I felt blah the entire morning as I prepped everything. Combine this with the fact I actually arrived to the race early, which gave me extra time to wander around, and I was just not in he right state of mind.
Event warmup:

Maybe 1/2 mile run warm-up then a short swim to get things started
Swim
  • 10m 54s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was an odd one as I normally do not swim very well, but today seemed to be over the top. Right from the start things were off, within the first 50 meters the 3 guys in front of me just stood up creating a wall I couldn't get through. This forced me to the same to figure out what was going on. It was like a bottleneck of traffic coming to a screeching halt. I identify my exit strategy and was able to go to the inside of the course and have a nice open shot to the 1st buoy. But even from this point I was uncomfortable, it felt like my feet were anchors dragging behind me and I could not really get into a groove. This lasted almost the entire race and instead of fighting the nonsense I just kept pushing to the next buoy until the swim was over
What would you do differently?:

Train more for swimming
Transition 1
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

not sure what happened here, it did not feel as long as it was. everything went smoothly
Bike
  • 41m 1s
  • 15.39 miles
  • 22.51 mile/hr
Comments:

HOLY COW! This effort was through the roof for the entire race. Right out of transition my legs were burning, I fiured that I would get a few miles in and then dial back the effort so that I did not blow up my run. Well a few miles turned into several and the next thing I knew my thighs were burning and I was half way through the race. I figured that by this point it was too late to "conserve" any energy and decided to just keep pushing the red line and let everything fall as they may. Lap results (3 miles each)
Lap 1: 7:55 AVG HR 152 AVG SP 22.7 MPH
Lap 2: 7:52 AVG HR 155 AVG SP 22.8 MPH
Lap 3: 8:11 AVG HR 153 AVG SP 22.0 MPH
Lap 4: 7:57 AVG HR 152 AVG SP 22.6 MPH
Mile 5: 7:44 AVG HR 149 AVG SP 23.3 MPH

One other item to note is that my overal effort was extremely consistent for the entire ride. I would shift up and down through the gearing but never really let up on the pedals. I think the only let up was when I grabbed the water bottle off of the downtube twice to quench my thirst. From looking at the date the owest cadence across the 41 minutes was 2 drops down to around 60 ad most likely this was when I was getting a drink.

nothing, I pushed to the edge and then hug there until the end of the race. I do not believe there was much more in the tank even if I wanted to push harder
Transition 2
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

No problems here, for the 1st time in a race I came in with feet out of shoes and jumped off the bike running. Racked my bike and switched my gear with no problems. Felt bad for a minute when another person was trying to talk about the bike ride next to me and I just kind a blew him off and mumled something as I ran out, but who has time to discuss the past when there was still fun to be had.
Run
  • 21m 35s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

This tuned out to be a fairly decent run, coming off of the bike I fully expected the run to be a crawl. I had put so much energy into the bike that there was no way I was going to be able to turn into a decent run.
Well coming out of transition, my legs were moving and actually felt decent as I came up to speed. 1st mile went off without any real issues. I came up and cruised past several other runners. I believe at this point my past was somehwere around 6:45. I kept up the pace out to the turn around and then ran into a few issues. My legs started to falter and I was struggling to hold on, at this point I hit the one downfall of the run. I allowed myself to pull off the effort and cruise for a few minutes. I should have pushed thorugh and kept the effrt red-lining but I just couldnt pull through. This lasted for maybe 1/2 mile until mile 2 clicked on my watched and I seen the pace had dropped off. At this point I decided there was only a mile left and the harder I ran the quicker it would be over so I pushed through, which involved a lot of yelling at myself that I wa snot done yet and that I had to work harder if I wanted the time. I'm sure that other runners thought I was off my rocker but it did the trick. I was able to will myself back into a better pace and push the run back to the finish
Mile 1: 6:42 AVG HR 161
Mile 2: 7:13 AVG HR 168
Mile 3: 6:58 AVG HR 169

hold onto the red-line for the entire race, if thats possible.
Post race

Last updated: 2014-07-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:54 | 500 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/15
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit: none
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:47
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:41:01 | 15.39 miles | 22.51 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:41
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:35 | 03.1 miles | 06m 58s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: out and back nothing major other than a few minor overpasses that had to run up and over.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2014-07-20 8:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Subject: Lima YMCA/Kewpee Triathlon

2014-07-30 7:36 PM
in reply to: #5028223

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Subject: RE: Lima YMCA/Kewpee Triathlon
Matt congrats, good overall race for you. I know the feeling with the swim. It sounds like my swim at Syracuse but your time wasn't bad. You definitely killed it on the bike and the run though. Way to go pushing the effort on the bike and still be able to run the way you did. It sounds like you went just about as hard as you could've gone on that run, great effort. So even though you felt you didn't start out well you definitely finish strong.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lima YMCA/Kewpee Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lima YMCA/Kewpee Triathlon

Started by DLR1
Views: 1089 Posts: 1

2011-08-01 1:13 PM DLR1

Started by mambos
Views: 1251 Posts: 5

2011-08-01 12:21 PM wbayek

Started by Keith_OH
Views: 1078 Posts: 1

2011-07-31 4:43 PM Keith_OH

Started by DirkP
Views: 1681 Posts: 6

2011-08-01 1:01 PM mdmosier

Started by spathrw
Views: 1183 Posts: 1

2011-07-31 11:01 AM spathrw
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.