2014-07-21 7:23 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Race wheels advantage

Originally posted by msteiner

Originally posted by Fred D

Originally posted by gsmacleod
Originally posted by EchoLkScott I'm with Left Brain on this. The aerodynamic drag increases with the square of the velocity so it become far less important at lower speeds. All else being equal, the aerodynamic drag at 18.4 mph will be nearly 20% less than at 20 mph. Other factors (rolling resistance for example) don't exhibit this quadratic dependence on velocity. Scott I.
If you run the numbers, you will see that aerodynamic improvements will still make a significant difference below 20mph. Shane

Yes, that and the fact the slower riders are on the course longer, so while the improvements are not as great as a % for slower riders, the absolute number of minutes saved is actually larger.

I know that gets said a lot, but isn't that the equivalent of saying that slower athletes are really just getting their money's worth for the race fee?

Call back for second interview.

2014-07-21 7:32 PM
in reply to: msteiner

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race wheels advantage Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Active Advantage taking advantage- watch your bank account

Started by gluestick
Views: 6518 Posts: 17

2011-06-30 7:33 PM pschriver

Race wheels vs training wheels

Started by andreasjs
Views: 6211 Posts: 7

2011-05-18 12:48 PM Khyron

Cheapest wheels you would define as legitimate "race" wheels Pages: 1 2

Started by louiskie
Views: 3928 Posts: 37

2009-06-27 7:36 AM qrkid

Race wheels or training wheels with PT

Started by Skeeter1
Views: 1319 Posts: 6

2009-03-28 9:48 PM Skeeter1

tri wheel questions - race v. training wheels

Started by ff27
Views: 2668 Posts: 17

2009-02-09 12:55 PM rc63413
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 13, 2012
author : KarbonSpeed
comments : 2
"These wheels are really fast and we can prove it with our tests from the A2 Wind Tunnel. We developed an ultra-fast modified V-Notch rim shape which keeps drag to an minimum."

date : October 27, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Hint: It's not a one-person job
date : August 7, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Looking to rent or try-before-you-buy race wheels for your next triathlon? Coach AJ checks out the service at RaceDay Wheels.

date : December 15, 2008
My back wheel needs to be trued up. It has a slight side-to-side wobble, and I feel at times like I'm going to lose control when I ride. Is this something that I should only trust to my LBS to do?
date : September 4, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Coach AJ reviews the Reynolds SDV 66 Racing Wheel and the PowerTap 2.4 SL Wireless Power Meter.

date : August 5, 2008
The wheels are my first area of concern and I have started to shop around. I find it nauseating to think of spending the same amount for wheels as my bike. Any help?
date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.

date : April 13, 2007
author : B-One
comments : 8
This article estimates how much time can be saved in sprint races by converting from stock aero wheels found on most tri bikes to more aero disk and composite spoked wheels.