General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Speed wobble Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-07-23 7:26 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Subject: RE: Speed wobble
I'm so glad I saw this thread. This happened to me two weeks ago and I couldn't figure out what it was. The wheel began to shake, then flutter back and forth. I remember trying to decide if I should/could try to jump-off toward the grass on the side of the road or ride it out. I still cannot believe that the front wheel could flop back and forth that much and I didn't crash. I checked everything afterwards and straightened the wheels a bit, though they didn't seem to need it. I tried to replicate it on the same hill, but couldn't.

2014-07-23 7:33 AM

Does anyone know if there is a difference between metal frames and carbon fiber frames: i.e. if one is more prone to wobble or not? Just curious.
2014-07-23 7:55 AM
in reply to: JoeE

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by JoeE
This happened to me two weeks ago and I couldn't figure out what it was. The wheel began to shake, then flutter back and forth. I remember trying to decide if I should/could try to jump-off toward the grass on the side of the road or ride it out. I still cannot believe that the front wheel could flop back and forth that much and I didn't crash.

Tri bike or road bike ?
2014-07-23 11:22 AM

User image

, New York
I used to race motocross and harescrables. On dirt bikes we called it head-shake. MX bikes that were great carvers (turned well) were much more prone to this than "desert bikes". We had some tricks to minimize it it but it really boiled down to the bike's core geometry (fork angle, trail, rake, wheelbase, etc.).

It was terrifying off road on the dirt with all of our protective gear. I can't imagine it happening now on pavement when all I have is my helmet and tri suit!
2014-07-23 11:44 AM
in reply to: gus123

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by gus123

Does anyone know if there is a difference between metal frames and carbon fiber frames: i.e. if one is more prone to wobble or not? Just curious.

Yes carbon fiber frames have more natural dampening than steel and AL. However it can still happen on any bike, It has to do with the whole system. When you hit resonate frequency of a system it will shake. Putting knees against the top tube effectively changes the system and in most cases will stop the shaking. Every bike has a different geometry and a different rider(yes you on the bike changes the system) so you have ride it to see if the problem occurs.

DON'T assume because you have a wobble at speed that this is the "speed wobble" problem. Make sure your bike is well maintained and you don't have a problem with your bearings or head tube, you can get wobble from those as well.
2014-07-25 1:01 PM

I can add another for having not experienced this on my Felt TT bike with decent speeds 50+. I have experienced it on my old road bike. It falls into the I checked and changed my underwear at the bottom of the hill.

2014-07-25 1:58 PM
in reply to: dougie2008

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo
When I started cycling in my teens, I was instructed by others about speed wobble and what to do with the knees. I experienced it once and did the knee squeeze. But, now I instinctively do it when going downhill and not pedaling. I pedal all the time unless I can't b/c I ran out of gear. And with a 55/11 big ring, I'd have to be going pretty damn fast at 100 rpm downhill to run out of gear. I've hit 50 plus before in races, but I try not to think about the speed and just focus on not upsetting things in nature... LOL.

Another thing is sometimes, it's a function of the relationship of the stem length to overall length... I like to use longer stem lengths when possible, which means being in a slightly smaller frame... I'm on the cusp of 54-56 by most bikes and use the 54 size with 110 or 120mm stems... the longer the stem the less twitchy the front end will be.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Speed wobble Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Speed Wobble

Started by Captain Morgan
Views: 1776 Posts: 15

2013-04-09 11:44 AM syjenkins

high speed wobble - experiences and how to get over being "speed shy"

Started by drgary
Views: 2941 Posts: 12

2011-05-03 6:28 PM drgary

Speed Wobbles with bike

Started by spjon25
Views: 908 Posts: 7

2010-05-31 12:07 PM mattanderson

HELP - Solve my dilemma - SPEED WOBBLE

Started by VanderRich
Views: 1834 Posts: 18

2008-10-18 6:46 AM Fatdoggy

Speed Wobble

Started by millarg
Views: 851 Posts: 6

2006-04-13 2:13 PM crusevegas
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 13, 2012
author : KarbonSpeed
comments : 2
"These wheels are really fast and we can prove it with our tests from the A2 Wind Tunnel. We developed an ultra-fast modified V-Notch rim shape which keeps drag to an minimum."

date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
My back wheel needs to be trued up. It has a slight side-to-side wobble, and I feel at times like I'm going to lose control when I ride. Is this something that I should only trust to my LBS to do?
date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
comments : 0
I decided to list a few interesting workouts to increase speed.