General Discussion Race Reports! » Escape to Blue Ridge Tri The Mountains Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Escape to Blue Ridge Tri The Mountains Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Blue Ridge, Georgia
United States
Georgia MultiSports Productions
72F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 35m 4s
Overall Rank = 57/291
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 7/20
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3am. Alarm went off at 4am. Had waffle, 2 eggs, larabar, coffee. Left at 4:30. Arrived at 5:40. Plenty of time to setup. Low stress.
Event warmup:

Swam for a few minutes in the lake.
Swim
  • 13m 9s
  • 600 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

panicked in first 50 yds. right goggle was loose and letting in water so couldn't see. had to flip over on back and fix goggle. 2:12 is way slower than I usually swim!
What would you do differently?:

ensure goggles are fastened. not panic at start
Transition 1
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

fumbled with putting on socks. i was seeded toward the back row so had a long run out of T1. need to work on having shoes already on pedals then running mount

Roll bike socks or no socks at all for Sprint distance
Running mount with shoes already on bike.
Bike
  • 54m 29s
  • 18 miles
  • 19.82 mile/hr

nothing
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

did everything one at a time. could multitask better

get used to riding on top of shoes and jump off bike while moving so I don't have to take shoes off at T2.
Run
  • 25m 17s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 07m 54s  min/mile
Post race
Warm down:

stretched adductor. strecthed hammies. ran/walk back to TA with Renee. bonus 3.2 mi

What limited your ability to perform faster:

swim panic. slow T1 .

Event comments:

Went into my 3rd triathlon in Blue Ridge, GA pretty confident after spending this year ramping up my swim at the Aquatic Center and Open Water Swims at Lake Allatoona. Swimming being my main limiter and biking and running, my strengths. I never realized just how much technique is involved with swimming and it's been a challenge to get faster in the water and to also become comfortable in open water. For this race, I knew I would have no problem with the Sprint distance: 600 yard swim, 18 mile bike, 3.2 mile run.

No I don't have an expensive Tri bike with aero wheels, aero bars or aero helmet. In fact, you'd laugh at how much my race bike costs. Hey, I figure I'll build my body up first before diving in fully with the expensive gear.

Rested 3 days prior and was battling a groin/adductor pull. Hurts like crazy unless legs are crossed.
Race morning woke up at 3am! Alarm was set for 4am. Gluten free waffle, larabar, 2 eggs for bfast. Bottle of Skratch on the drive up. Some coffee.
Arrived in Blue Ridge at 5:40, set up Transition area in plenty of time. So glad we left early to avoid being rushed and stressed. Plenty of time to swim a bit to calm the nerves. Wasn't really nervous at all. When they called us down to the boat ramp I started to get anxious. Then we had to stand on the boat ramp for 15 minutes or so waiting for the waves. I was in wave 3. Wound up at the front of the wave and dove in. About 10 seconds in I had a feeling of panic and not really sure why. Swallowed a good bit of water early on also. Then had this overwhelming thought that I wouldn't be able to finish. Plus, I saw a guy in front of me being pulled out of the water. Think he was kicked in the head. Another weird thing was my right goggle was letting in water so I was blind in that eye. Tried to push through it but eventually had to flip on my back and tighten the goggle. It was good the rest of the way but that probably cost me 30 seconds! Silly stuff! Finally settled down after about 200 yards and just tried to concentrate on swimming my stroke. Most of my wave was still behind me so I knew I was doing alright. I ended up with a 13:09 swim time and 2:12 /min pace which was one of the faster times. However, I know I can swim faster than a 2:12 over 600 yards. I would normally do a 1:58 pace or so which would've given me a time in the 12s. Relieved to be out of the water somewhat and heading into first transition.
Fumbled with bike socks for too long and had a lousy 1:11 minute transition. Plus, I was placed at the back of the transition area so had a ways to run with my bike. Definitely need to work on a running start on the bike with shoes already clipped in! Also, on Sprint distance I don't think socks are necessary and need to start training without them for more time savings. Bike gloves necessary? Precious seconds...
Bike was good and I felt taxed but comfortable. I ended up doing a 19.3 mph on a rolly course so I'm pleased with that. Handling was good, climbs were good. Downhills were good.

Transition to run was alright. Had to rack my bike then run around to the front wheel to "address" my bike and run gear. Strict USAT rules and officiating here! Put on hat, shoes, race belt fairly quickly. Then grabbed handheld water bottle which may have been overkill for a 5k run. The run seemed to be uphill most of the way, especially the 2nd mile. Managed an 8:07 pace and felt mostly good on the run. carried a handheld with Skratch which seems overkill in hindsight.

Pleased with my effort but was hoping for a higher finish than 7 out of 20 Age Group. Still had a blast and can't wait for the next one!

Last updated: 2014-06-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:09 | 600 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/20
Overall: 0/291
Performance: Below average
Suit: none
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:11
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:54:29 | 18 miles | 19.82 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/20
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Rolly
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:25:17 | 03.2 miles | 07m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/20
Performance: Average
Course: hilly mile 2. some downhill
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-07-21 7:24 AM

User image

Subject: Escape to Blue Ridge Tri The Mountains Triathlon

2014-07-23 9:44 AM
in reply to: #5028327

User image

Subject: RE: Escape to Blue Ridge Tri The Mountains Triathlon
Updated with post-race thoughts
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Escape to Blue Ridge Tri The Mountains Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Escape From Black Ridge

Started by ingleshteechur
Views: 1127 Posts: 2

2013-08-11 8:03 PM cdban66

Escape to Blue Ridge Tri The Mountains Triathlon

Started by Allen_Leonard
Views: 1146 Posts: 1

2012-07-27 6:20 PM Allen_Leonard

Escape to Blue Ridge Tri The Mountains Triathlon

Started by Gunky
Views: 1037 Posts: 1

2012-07-25 8:58 PM Gunky

Blue Mountain Triathlon

Started by desertsix
Views: 978 Posts: 1

2009-04-01 10:26 PM desertsix

Blue Ridge Burn

Started by BabsVa
Views: 1040 Posts: 1

2007-10-20 11:04 AM BabsVa
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
A Walmart bike, a borrowed road bike or a new carbon fiber bike? You don't need to break the bank for your first triathlon bike.

date : May 25, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
I read somewhere about "bar ends" to put on your handle bars, do you recommend them? Is this similar to adding clip on aero bars?
date : March 4, 2008
author : ahilden
comments : 1
Four months ago I set upon a journey to train for and complete a triathlon, and a few Sundays back I raced in the Blue Water Triathlon in Parker, Arizona.

date : June 14, 2005
author : PirateGirl
The XTERRA off-road triathlons consist of a lake swim, a mountain bike trail ride, and a trail run. I decided to try the AZ Xtreme Desert XTERRA Tri as my 1st off-road triathlon, and my 3rd tri ever.
date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
Well I said that I was not going to do it this season, but I cracked. I broke down and bought a new bike. I went out and bought a shiny new Cannondale road bike.
Well its the middle of winter and there is 5 inches of snow on the ground and I am too cheap to buy a gym membership and take spinning classes, so what do I do?

So after about 10,000 emails, dozens of phone calls, and one pre-race pasta dinner, the 1st meeting of the Steve's in a triathlon finally arrived.