General Discussion Triathlon Talk » It must be something I am doing but I have seen more bike crashes in races this year Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-21 8:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: It must be something I am doing but I have seen more bike crashes in races this year
3 out of the last 4 tris I have done I have seen pretty wicked bike wrecks right in front of me. Pretty sure I am not causing them but you never know. all of them happened because they misjudged the turn one hit the curb and went flying, the next went into the gravel and flew into the ditch and the other a guy was trying to pass on the inside of the turn hit the back wheel of the other biker. Luckily all the wrecks happened at corners there were plenty of people there to help so they were in good hands. Might be a string of bad luck but conditions where perfect at those 3 races

2014-07-21 11:01 AM
in reply to: BuckHamilton

Subject: RE: It must be something I am doing but I have seen more bike crashes in races this year
I'm guilty of overcooking corners, but never taken a spill. IMO, you're not maximizing your times if you don't do it at least once in awhile. That is why previewing the course can be very helpful, for situations just like this. That, and good bike handling skills. I've gone off the road a couple times and managed to keep the rubber down.
2014-07-21 11:45 AM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: It must be something I am doing but I have seen more bike crashes in races this year

I think most of it boils down to lack of handling skills.  For me, my skills get a bit rusty because I spend so much of my training ride time on the trainer.   I have to force myself out on the road sometimes just so I can sharpen them up before I race.

I also have seen a fair number of crashes attributed to a lack of focus.  People not being aware of potential dangers and being prepared to deal with them.  Things like hitting water bottles that have been ejected, going too fast in and out of aid stations, not being aware of other riders when they swerve while trying to take a drink or reach for their seat mounted water bottle.

2014-07-21 6:45 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin

Just this weekend at the HIM I was racing, I heard of two wicked crashed and the potential of another right in front of me.  I was coming up a 270 degree turn on a hill and a guy was coming back down, super fast, missed that it was a turn and flew right in front of me into the gravel and grass barely keeping upright.  He not only almost crashed himself but almost took me out.  I think there is a lack of attentiveness out there and lack of knowledge of the course.  People need to work on knowing the course!

Edited by crea0029 2014-07-21 6:46 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » It must be something I am doing but I have seen more bike crashes in races this year Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Am I doing something wrong?

Started by Kpoulsen
Views: 754 Posts: 1

2010-07-20 4:33 PM Kpoulsen

Am I doing something wrong?

Started by verga
Views: 960 Posts: 6

2010-03-30 12:56 PM verga

HR on Run...Am I doing something wrong?

Started by swgtri
Views: 1511 Posts: 9

2005-02-24 10:51 AM Steve-

I am having some swimming issues...help, please.

Started by lifeisgood
Views: 1534 Posts: 8

2005-01-11 10:27 AM kepola

Well I am having some trouble!!

Started by royj
Views: 927 Posts: 3

2004-05-30 1:18 AM royj
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.