General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nose plug what-if Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-21 12:13 PM

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: Nose plug what-if

I use a nose plug when I swim and I'm doing my first tri on 8/17.  I'm planning to go in the newbie/"comfort" wave (we get to start when we're ready, not when they blow the horn).  I'm still kind of freaking out about the possibility of losing my nose plug during the OWS.  I really struggle with swimming without it.  I'm planning to continue doing tris, moving up to an Olympic and maybe an HIM over the next few years, so I anticipate this could be an ongoing concern.  I'd really like to find a way to address it so I don't have to worry about it before every race.

What's the likelihood I'm going to lose my nose plug during the OWS by having it kicked off by somebody or it slipping off?  Should I stick an extra in my wetsuit or over my goggle strap (putting cap over goggles), or is this one of those "what-ifs" I shouldn't worry about?

2014-07-21 12:34 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

Subject: RE: Nose plug what-if
I am doing my first tri this weekend and I also swim with nose plugs. My plan is to hook an extra pair under my goggle strap.
2014-07-21 2:42 PM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Originally posted by laffinrock

I use a nose plug when I swim and I'm doing my first tri on 8/17.  I'm planning to go in the newbie/"comfort" wave (we get to start when we're ready, not when they blow the horn).  I'm still kind of freaking out about the possibility of losing my nose plug during the OWS.  I really struggle with swimming without it.  I'm planning to continue doing tris, moving up to an Olympic and maybe an HIM over the next few years, so I anticipate this could be an ongoing concern.  I'd really like to find a way to address it so I don't have to worry about it before every race.

What's the likelihood I'm going to lose my nose plug during the OWS by having it kicked off by somebody or it slipping off?  Should I stick an extra in my wetsuit or over my goggle strap (putting cap over goggles), or is this one of those "what-ifs" I shouldn't worry about?

Since you have almost a month until your triathlon, I think you would be best served by learning to swim without the nose plug.

Good luck and have fun with your first tri!

2014-07-21 2:53 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Hook'em

Since you have almost a month until your triathlon, I think you would be best served by learning to swim without the nose plug.

+1 I thought i needed one for a while. I would highly suggest practicing without your nose plug. Also, I believe you are in Colorado - if you haven't ventured out to the Grant Ranch lake through Mile High Multisport i would reccommend a day pass so your first OW experience is not a race, Cheers,
2014-07-21 3:10 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
When I first started swimming, I used a nose plug as well, but I always felt they were a pain and finally ditched it and taught myself to swim without one. Take some time the next few weeks and focus on that...breath and then blow out thru your nose under water. Do sets of these just like you would do intervals to get comfortable and build up. I promise it is much easier to swim once you aren't reliant on this!

I would think in an open water swim there would be a good probability that it would come off. Just one more thing to worry about and deal with.

That's cool about the wave you get to start in! Good luck! Have fun!!

2014-07-21 3:14 PM
in reply to: runspingirl

User image

Yardville, NJ
I don't swim with a nose clip, but my wife does. She worries about the same thing, and has lost it in training on occasion. She took a short piece of monofilament fishing line and tethered the nose clip to her goggles. No more losing it!

2014-07-21 4:15 PM
in reply to: Mfechter67

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

BTW, bobbing at the side of the pool is the first step in learning to breathe without a nose plug.  Facing the side of the pool, hands on the edge, put your head under the water and breathe out through your nose, then back up for a breath.  You will also find that you don't need to constantly breathe out through your nose to avoid water entering by do the same drill and just holding your breath.

2014-07-21 4:26 PM
in reply to: Mfechter67

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
I swim with a nose clip too. It's not that I can't swim without one but due to sinus problems it is just easier to use one. My guess is worst case scenario if it gets kicked off your face you could finish the swim just fine without it. Although there is ways to put the odds in your favor that you will not lose your nose piece even if kicked off. I swim with a nose clip that has a band on it so if it gets kicked off it is still around my neck. The only way I'm losing my nose clip is if the band breaks. If the kind of nose clip you prefer doesn't have a band on it just attach a rubber band from the nose clip to your nose piece on your goggles. That would prevent you from losing your nose clip unless you lose your goggles.
2014-07-21 11:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by Hook'em

I am an adult learner when it comes to swimming. I just couldn't get the hang of exhaling underwater through my nose. I just couldn't do it right - my exhale was too weak or too fast, too inconsistent, too much breath holding, and then the suffocation fear panic kicked in.  I tried a bunch of times in the pool, then I gave up on that and just went for distance.  I did my first Ironman in 2006 wearing a Speedo brand nose clip with a spare one jammed on each hand (middle finger at the base) in case I lost the first one.  I didn't.

I vowed to lose the nose clipf or my 2nd IM so after reading up I found a method to learn to exhale and ditched my nose plug in a week. 

This method involves a large salad bowl of warm water on your kitchen table.  Put your face in the water, exhale slow and steady, then take it out and exhale. Repeat. Over time this gets easier and steadier and then you're on a pace and rhythm just like "real" swimming.  It took me several different 20 minute sessions to get the hang of steady exhale.  You're just in your kitchen, so only your kids will make fun of you. Forever, btw.

Next, go to the pool and repeat the same with a kickboard.  Face down, exhale, face up, inhale.  After a while, that's natural.  Then ditch the kickboard, and try just swimming a crawl stroke. It will work. I've never used a nose plug since.  Took about a week.

Good luck on your first tri!

PS - my wife saw a guy at IMAZ13 with a nose clip like mine and 8 spares, one on each finger. I guess he really didn't want to take chances.

Edited by brucemorgan 2014-07-21 11:37 PM
2014-07-22 9:23 AM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Denver, CO

Thanks, everybody.  I like the idea of a rubber band or monofilament line.  I'll give that a try.   Although I'm an adult learner, I can swim without one.  I don't because I invariably get bloody noses after swimming in a chlorinated pool.  I'm sure I'm probably doing something wrong, but it's not a huge priority to fix at this point if there's a simple way to be able to feel confident about not losing the darn thing in a race.  Maybe I'll add non-nose-plug swimming to my list of things to work on in the off-season.  (This list keeps growing!!)

@Brian W, I've already gone to Grant Ranch twice and loved it.  Will probably go one more time before my 1st race, then again 1-2x before my next race in Sept. (Longmont Oktoberfest Sprint).

2014-07-22 12:11 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I feel your pain. Only one with a nose plug at a 5k open water swim. Worse is when you drop it before the race and your looking for it in the sand. I am not worried about it in the water. It really should not go anywhere.

In my second 5k open water swim I did lose it before the race and I somehow survived the race. I think I am not too bad in open water just pools it really bothers me not having it.

2014-07-22 2:22 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
I use one also, but I do it to avoid sinus pain.

I've made it through 25 tris of various distances without losing one. For Oly and longer, I tuck a spare by my ankle inside my wetsuit.
2014-07-22 2:45 PM
in reply to: Swimbikeron

User image

Expert
Floriduh
The pix is Missy Franklin putting on a nose clip, so you are in good company. I have done many races and have had my fair share of kicks and swats in the head, but only once did I get my goggles knocked off kilter. If you don't commonly lose your nose clip when training, I think it unlikely you will lose it during a race. Keeping a spare or two handy is a great idea but I truly doubt you will need it given what I can imagine is the necessary level of force needed to dislodge the nose clip.

(000802aa2f491184cdbe0a.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
000802aa2f491184cdbe0a.jpg (66KB - 10 downloads)
2014-07-22 3:07 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
remember you could always do the back stroke worse comes to worse. Its not ideal but its been than a DNF.
2014-07-22 5:05 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I really recommend this kind:

http://www.swimoutlet.com/p/poolmaster-nose-clip-36688/?color=18645

I had a brand name version, never lost it due to the usual swim kerfuffle.

My problem was getting water in my face/nose during open water swims. I was okay without the clip in the pool, but struggled getting over it during a race.   It just keep trying and I finally kicked the habit.   I got tired of it wrecking my beautiful wetuit-wearing pre-swim pictures.  Because,  of course, the noseclip was the worst part...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nose plug what-if Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Nose clip/nose plug recommendation please

Started by mrheathen
Views: 1387 Posts: 11

2012-03-23 7:29 AM EKH

to nose plug or not to nose plug...that is the question

Started by up4challenges
Views: 2896 Posts: 16

2015-02-28 8:23 PM Nick B

Nose Plugs?

Started by hazmaster
Views: 686 Posts: 8

2007-02-27 1:01 PM tkbslc

nose plug

Started by kimberly
Views: 628 Posts: 4

2005-06-20 10:17 PM nj newbie!

Nose Plugs / Clips

Started by Y-NOT-TRI
Views: 1310 Posts: 5

2004-01-24 3:07 PM Michael
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 13, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
I cannot get comfortable without the nose of the saddle being tilted down. I have tried many different seats and had two professional fittings, but still have excessive numbness and discomfort.

date : May 16, 2005
author : DominiqueL
comments : 0
Enter the new TYR X-Sight goggles. The X-Sights have been designed with a flexible nose bridge that (surprise, surprise) is shaped like an “X”.