General Discussion Race Reports! » Escape to Blue Ridge Tri The Mountains Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Escape to Blue Ridge Tri The Mountains Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Blue Ridge, Georgia
United States
Georgia MultiSports Productions
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 22m 46s
Overall Rank = 7/291
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/32
Pre-race routine:

JT and I drove up to Blue Ridge in the rain on Saturday afternoon to catch up with Todd & Molly at their cabin for a low key pre-race evening. Met Zach who was also staying with us - he was also racing Blue Ridge as only his second-ever triathlon. I got my race stuff together pretty quickly and then made appetizers and cooked diner for everyone while we all watched the Tour de France. We may have drank a little too much wine....

Got up at 4:45 and had a coupe of pop tarts and a banana for breakfast - I wasn't really all that hungry as I was still a little full from dinner the night before. We rolled out headed for the marina at 5:50am, which was later than I wanted - I kew we were going to be cutting it close. It started to rain again, but stopped just as quickly as it started. We got to the race venue at 6:15 and they were already announcing that they were closing transition in 15 minutes. I got set up quickly in the only spot left on my assigned rack, which was right in a big puddle of water about 2 inched deep. Didn't worry too much about it as I was going to be soaking wet pretty soon anyway!

Event warmup:

A little bummed that I was not going to be able to get my pre-race run warm-up done, but no biggie - I would just get a little extra swimming in instead. So I hustled down to the water, got my speed suit on, and just as I was wading in they started herding folks out of the water for the pre-race meeting and the national anthem. Crud - so no swimming warm-up either. We got lined up in our waves and I was a little surprised to find that the masters age groups were split in two for such a relatively small race, but at least we would be racing the rest of the group from the back, so I I had to do was worry about catching folks up the road. I was chatting and cutting up with some teammates and almost forgot to move up to the front of our group for the swim start.

Swim
  • 11m 11s
  • 600 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Got moving quickly and surprisingly jumped of the front with one other guy. It seemed like he was going pretty good so I slid over to him and sat on his feet. I kept waiting for the normal bunch of fast guys in our wave to overtake us, but they never did - I took a peak back at the first turn buoy and we had actually opened up a little gap - very unfamiliar situation for me on the swim. Knowing that I was suppose to hit the bake much harder than I normally would I was happy just to continue to take it fairly easy with the hope of coming out of the water ready to go. I was feeling great though so with about 250 yards to go I started easing up the effort and just built it all the way in. Sighted well and thought this was a good swim.

What would you do differently?:

I thought this swim would be about 10:30, so was a little surprised to see my time after the race. I should have gotten to the race earlier and warmed up well, and trusted my pacing instincts a little more - I knew I was taking it easier than I was able, but being off the front simply confused me somewhat.

Transition 1
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

Jennifer was standing right next tot he swim out, and she was shouting to me that I was second out of the water, confirming what I thought. I Hustled quickly to my rack, and then flubbed the rest of T1 kinda hysterically. Todd was standing next to the transition fence right at my rack and yelling all kinds of crazy things at me, and I honestly got kinda tickled. I got a little tangled up in my speed suit, and then stumbled around getting my feet in my shoes. I jammed my helmet on and took off running with my bike for the exit, only to realize that the rear adjustment buckle for my helmet was jammed up on top of my head inside the helmet. It was very uncomfortable and I actually thought for a second about stopping and getting it right, but then decided to punish myself for being such a klutz and instead just soldiered on.

Again, get to transition early enough and get everything set up correctly. I know the buckle thing is an issue with my helmet, and I usually lay it out so that doesn't happen. I also did zero pre-race transition walk through or visualization like I normally do.

Bike
  • 48m 50s
  • 18 miles
  • 22.12 mile/hr
Comments:

After I got through the shit-show of T-1 I got settled down and got to work on what I came to do: burn all my matches on the bike. I rolled up the big hill out of the marina fairly hard, but there was a 16 year old kid that SPRINTED wide-open past me up to the top of the hill. I caught him free-wheeling down the first first little descent, already popped. Kids are funny!

This race was slotted in my schedule more as a test/training day and my primary instructions were to attack the hills harder than I normally would, so that is what I commenced to doing. With 1300 feet of climbing in just 18 miles, the course was as hilly as described, but nothing was too steep, and I just hammered away in the aerobars the whole way. I caught the guy that beat me out of the water within a half mile, and for the next couple hills I played cat-and-mouse with a couple of other guys, including one of my teammates Tony who had gone of in the wave ahead of mine. By the third mile I was clear and just focused on hitting my power targets on every ascent and worked hard to stay steady on the descents. The course was a straight out-and-back, and as I neared the turn-around the folks from the first waves started trickling by headed the opposite direction. With over 100 folks going off in front of me I was surprised that by that time there were less than 20 folks still up the road. That gave me a lot of incentive to push harder on the return trip and I was able to catch several more folks before there was nothing but clear road up ahead for probably the last three or four miles of the bike. On the second to last descent I gobbled down a gel.

Well, I rode the bike exactly lie I was supposed to, but I was still surprised that I had the legs that I did - they felt fairly fresh even though I had a relatively hard 20 hour week which included a couple of hard rides and no taper. So, if I wanted to race this a little better I would have tapered a bit and rode a little more evenly, but that was not the point today.

Transition 2
  • 00m 35s
Comments:

I slipped out of my shoes on the descent back to the marina, hopped of cleanly at the dismount line, and ran to my rack quickly. bike up, helmet off, shoes on, grab my visor, glasses, and race belt, and off quickly.

In the wrong direction.

The guy that came in right behind me was nice enough to shout that I was going the wrong direction. Aughhhhh! I spun around, thanked him, and took off in the opposite direction out of T2.

It was all good except for not knowing where the run exit was. Again, get there early. Walk through transition. visualize. It really is as simple as that. I am usually good at this part, but I kinda blew both transitions this time around.

Run
  • 21m 19s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 16s  min/km
Comments:

Yeah, well, if I rode the bike portion of the race as prescribed, this wasn't suppose to go particularly very well, but in the back of my brain I was still hopeful. The run almost goes almost immediately uphill, and within about 30 meters I here some feet coming up behind, and fast. The guy that was nice enough to tell me that I was going the wrong way out of transition comes by me, and I look over and in my very best Jerry Seinfeld voice (imagine him saying "Newman!") I thought in my head "Keith Marshall!" Goddamit. I took about three steps with him, but he was gone so fast up the hill it was like I was going backwards. I have raced Keith enough to know that even with good legs he is tough to beat on the run, and my legs were toast. He gapped me by a good 45 seconds, but on the long downhill I was able to hold the gap, but just barely. Then on the long uphill into town Keith was just gone from sight, and he ultimately put over a minute-and-a-half on me on the run. My legs were gassed from the effort not he bike, and I was short-stepping on the climbs in order to keep my cadence up. Having Keith up the road was good incentive as I did keep the gas on more that I might have other wise, and I did manage to run down a few more folks from the younger age groups. The last guy I fought was about 800 meters from the finish line, and he lifted his effort and ran with me for a while. I was just hinting to myself "please, please, please" don't sit on and make me try to sprint for the finish, because that just ain't gonna happen. he fell off with about 600 meters to go, and then with about 400 meters to go the finish line came in to view up a loooong, straight uphill right in to the center of town. At this point I glanced at my watch and halfway thought I could run under 21, which would have been a nice benchmark, but I was wide open and it just took forever to get there. About 50 meters from the finish line I saw Todd on the side of the road shaking, shaking, shaking, a champaign bottle. For a brief second I thought about running away from him to the other side of the road, but then I thought "fuck it, let him have his fun" and I ran right at him.

And got soaked from head to toe.

The run went better than expected, but even on a good day I think I would have been a little over 20 minutes on this course. It is an honest one!

Post race
Warm down:

Cheered my teammates and Zach in (Zach got his own champagne celebration from Todd) and then went and hosed down and changed at the bath house. The post race food was supplied by local downtown restaurants and there was even a bluegrass band providing entertainment, so the wait until awards was a lot of fun. There were tons of people there and it had a nice festival vibe being right in town.

Keith and I rolled up to 2nd & 3rd in masters, which was nice - it actually looked like the 45-49 group was a little more competitive this go-round than the 40-44 bunch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No taper, poor pre-race prep, overpaying the bike etc. But all-in-all it was OK - at least I executed the import part (the bike) as planned. But because I somehow got in my mind that this race was actually just another bike workout I just didn't take the whole thing very serious, which I suppose is OK. Talked through the bike data with my coach this morning and I think we have a better idea of pacing targets for nationals.

Event comments:

Very good, tough race. All the hills on the bike and run suit my strengths.

Last updated: 2014-04-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:11 | 600 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/32
Overall: 24/291
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:52
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:48:50 | 18 miles | 22.12 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/32
Overall: 4/291
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:35
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:21:19 | 05 kms | 04m 16s  min/km
Age Group: 2/32
Overall: 8/291
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2014-07-21 12:38 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Subject: Escape to Blue Ridge Tri The Mountains Triathlon

2014-07-21 12:52 PM
in reply to: #5028525

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: Escape to Blue Ridge Tri The Mountains Triathlon

Nice race, Rusty!  I really enjoyed reading about your bike pacing strategy (honestly, I did a sprint race a month or so ago and decided to target an aggressive power just to see how my legs responded as well....always an interesting experiment). 

I know you don't do FTP testing often, but I imagine you have a good idea of where it is, so I'm gonna ask anyways....what were you targeting (percentage-wise)?  How was your VI?  If you think your run could have been ~1 minute faster on a good day, how much do you think you'd have to back off on the bike, and how much would it affect your bike split? 

So many interesting things to ponder with a race plan like this.  Loved the race report....would love to hear more of your thoughts on this!

2014-07-21 1:27 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Nicely done, plan your race and race your plan. This one will surely help the next ones.

2014-07-21 1:34 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Hey Nicole - thanks! I can't imagine my 1 hour FTP is over 240. Average power on this ride was 211AP/223NP. Assuming an FTP of 240 then my IF was .93, which is probably about right based on how I think I overcooked the bike. Normally it would be in the .90 range for a race like this.

VI was around 1.06. The course is rather unique: either up or down mostly - there was one nice rolling bit in the middle so we rode it twice on the out and back. I capped my climbs at 270~280, with the goal of getting over the top of each hill with enough gas to get up to speed very quickly and maintain relatively high watts on the descents. Normally I would cap these kinds of climbs at 240~245.

We haven't completely unpacked the data, but based on some other climbing data I have from the past two weeks the difference between 245w and 270w is about .8mph hour on grades like these. so taking a WAG on a .3mph difference over the whole race and it would be about 45 seconds difference (I know this is not quite the right way to think about it, but I still think it is close).

Add to that in a sprint (and even an olympic for me) I will often race the race that is around me (for better or worse) and I also wonder how the race would have played out as Keith would have caught me on the bile with about a mile to go rather than on the run. My legs would have been fresh and I would have picked up the effort and paced him back to T2. I know from experience that I still would not have been able to run with him when he is having a good day, but I would have kept him in sight the whole way, which most likely would have made me a little bit faster again. 

It is all interesting stuff - I like having these kinds of races on the schedule because I for one just can't quite perform these kinds of experiments in training.

2014-07-22 9:14 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Nice race Rusty!  Congrats on the results!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Escape to Blue Ridge Tri The Mountains Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Escape to Blue Ridge Tri The Mountains Triathlon

Started by JHiott
Views: 1280 Posts: 2

2014-07-23 9:44 AM JHiott

Escape From Black Ridge

Started by ingleshteechur
Views: 1127 Posts: 2

2013-08-11 8:03 PM cdban66

Started by Allen_Leonard
Views: 1146 Posts: 1

2012-07-27 6:20 PM Allen_Leonard

Started by Gunky
Views: 1037 Posts: 1

2012-07-25 8:58 PM Gunky

Blue Mountain Triathlon

Started by desertsix
Views: 978 Posts: 1

2009-04-01 10:26 PM desertsix
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
A Walmart bike, a borrowed road bike or a new carbon fiber bike? You don't need to break the bank for your first triathlon bike.

date : May 25, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
I read somewhere about "bar ends" to put on your handle bars, do you recommend them? Is this similar to adding clip on aero bars?
date : March 4, 2008
author : ahilden
comments : 1
Four months ago I set upon a journey to train for and complete a triathlon, and a few Sundays back I raced in the Blue Water Triathlon in Parker, Arizona.

date : June 14, 2005
author : PirateGirl
The XTERRA off-road triathlons consist of a lake swim, a mountain bike trail ride, and a trail run. I decided to try the AZ Xtreme Desert XTERRA Tri as my 1st off-road triathlon, and my 3rd tri ever.
date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
Well I said that I was not going to do it this season, but I cracked. I broke down and bought a new bike. I went out and bought a shiny new Cannondale road bike.
Well its the middle of winter and there is 5 inches of snow on the ground and I am too cheap to buy a gym membership and take spinning classes, so what do I do?

So after about 10,000 emails, dozens of phone calls, and one pre-race pasta dinner, the 1st meeting of the Steve's in a triathlon finally arrived.