General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running then RUNNING? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-21 2:06 PM

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
Subject: Running then RUNNING?
Without going into too much detail, I seem to notice an incredible urge to #2 after running 10+ miles. The timing may vary from immediately to an hour or more. I will consume minimal calories, from a gel or lifesaver/starburst as I find it a little easier to take in. I drink a good amount of water while running, but it seems 9 times out of 10, as soon as I’m done running I will need to make an urgent run to the bathroom. My diet is mostly low carb/paleo, and I usually run in the AM or 3-4 hours after a meal. I know some of the theory has to do with the bouncing of the GI, as well as you body “shunting” the blood to your extremities. I am surly not the only who has this, but am curious on what people do to prevent or stop this?

2014-07-21 2:25 PM
in reply to: GotBackup

User image

Subject: RE: Running then RUNNING?
What you describe isn't unusual or abnormal, but just kind of inconvenient. Everyone has their own GI patterns-- I usually run in the morning, about an hour after waking up. I have a light breakfast and tea which gives my body a chance to "clear out" before I run. If I run later in the day or if for some reason I run really early before nature calls, I will have to stop during the run-- I just know this.

So get to know your body's patterns, and be prepared. You may try to experiment with running at different times of the day to make things more conveniently timed. Or you may find it easier to stop earlier in the run for a break so that you won't have the sudden emergency urge when you finish.
2014-07-21 2:25 PM

User image

Regular
Virginia

I don't have any advice about your issue, but I just wanted to point out that it sounds like you need a different user name! 

2014-07-21 2:31 PM
in reply to: MCA

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
always have a backup I know my body's routine, and it only seems to be after the 10+ mile runs, I knew some of the shameless BT folks would come through.
2014-07-21 3:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
I am trying to figure out why you think this is a problem? Its the best "problem" you could have that's related to this particular subject. Could be much worse - many runners have issues DURING a run when you are as far away from a bathroom as possible and things need to exit RIGHT NOW.

Why would you want to stop this?
2014-07-21 4:04 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
check out this article: http://www.active.com/a3_articles/ee9accda-52ff-4f53-a1ec-d07e5ea37...

It gives some tips about lower fiber, etc
I know a few people that have this issue. Most carry TP with them while running in case of an unexpected pit stop.

2014-07-22 9:10 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
You might want to look at what you eat before running to see if there's a common pattern. I know I can't have wheat or milk products within several hours of running if I expect to get through it without a pit stop. Similar problems with dairy without running, but I've never had a problem with wheat, except before running. Apparently I just don't digest it as well as rice or oats. If you are eating low-carb/paleo, wheat may not be an issue but could be a low-level intolerance to something else in your diet, either the morning of or night before. Also, in my experience heat and intensity can definitely speed up GI issues. I need to be a bit more careful about what I eat before/during running if it's very hot and humid, and/or it's speedwork or a race.

In any case, for morning runs, getting up a bit earlier, having a little hot coffee or tea, and being active around the house or yard may be helpful to get things "moving" before your run, rather than during. I try to spend 20-30 minutes after getting up making beds, feeding pets, taking out garbage, setting out things for work, etc. before hitting the road. That also allows me to get my muscles warmed up a bit, run when it's lighter out for most of the year (it varies less for me than most, living in the tropics) and have a quicker transition to commute after my run.
2014-07-22 9:45 PM
in reply to: #5028576

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
I'm glad you posted this lol I've been experiencing the same thing bud! I've become accustom to it and am fortunate for it to hold off until post run (no matter the mileage; it could be a 3 or 10 miler and the "urge" is just the same). My body has adjusted to the point where I can run but as soon as I get back to the house no one better be in my way of that bathroom! I generally do my runs in the evening after work and it's 50:50 whether before or after dinner. However, I've been trying like the dickens to get up before work to do my runs but until I do that a little more consistently, I won't be able to tell if that fixes the problem.

The funniest sign I remember from my last HM was "run now, poop later"
2014-07-23 9:43 AM

User image

Pro

I always run with TP.

Fortunately- I run in rural areas, so a suitable spot is seldom an issue.

Problem solved.  

doesn't happen that often to me, but a zip lock bag of TP in my running belt keeps the whole thing stress free.

2014-07-23 2:57 PM
in reply to: MCA

User image

New user
Kingston, Ontario
Originally posted by MCA

I don't have any advice about your issue, but I just wanted to point out that it sounds like you need a different user name! 

haha awesome
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running then RUNNING? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

tri changed to run-bike-run..help!!

Started by Tizzy
Views: 951 Posts: 9

2006-04-03 10:12 PM TriBefore40

Trail Running...yuck running

Started by swimskaz
Views: 1043 Posts: 12

2005-11-02 12:44 PM Dr Hammer

How to Run a run-bike brick workout Part I

Started by mikericci
Views: 1299 Posts: 14

2005-08-24 1:37 PM lincsguyus

just keep running, running, running

Started by autumn
Views: 973 Posts: 2

2004-08-23 5:00 PM madcow

Run, Flyboy, Run (and swim and Bike)

Started by heatheryan
Views: 558 Posts: 4

2004-06-19 9:46 PM Flyboy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 7, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Intervals help a runner manage the intensity and learn to push at a pace that’s out of their comfort zone. Learn these five intervals with example workouts.

date : February 28, 2012
author : greggseltzer
comments : 6
Why barefoot running is not suited for the average runner.
date : July 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
Third in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : July 9, 2007
author : gsmacleod
comments : 0
Taking the time to have your running form analyzed can help many athletes run further, faster or both!
date : April 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation

date : March 5, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion on tapering, treadmill workout, long run issues, insituting run/walk, surrounded by hills and knowing your LT.
date : July 17, 2005
author : ChiRunning
Running does not cause injury. Poor running form does. Running is more enjoyable, and safer if you know what you’re doing. And yes, even old dogs can learn new tricks.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle