General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do I need a wetsuit? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-21 3:11 PM

Subject: Do I need a wetsuit?
I'm doing my first triathlon in early Sept. It's a sprint triathlon. It's an open water swim and the water is supposed to be around 65 degrees F.

I'd prefer not to buy a wetsuit because it's my first triathlon and I'd like to see if I'll stick with the sport before spending a lot of $$. However, I'm not sure if I'm nuts for not doing so -- I'm pretty sure 65 degrees is quite cold, but I'm not sure *how* cold. FWIW, I'm a decently strong swimmer and not super concerned with time, so I'm not interested in the wetsuit for the benefit of efficiency.

I tried renting from xterra, but they don't have my size in stock.

2014-07-21 6:32 PM
in reply to: #5028622

Subject: RE: Do I need a wetsuit?
I just did a HIM in 62 degree water, wish I had a long sleeve suit, instead of sleeveless, But I'm a wuss about cold. Post in your local section of the forum and see if someone will let you borrow one.
2014-07-21 10:21 PM
in reply to: mgtye

User image

Veteran
Great White North
65F is 18.3 C... only 1.7 degrees C below the elite wetsuit cutoff. Its chilly if you are new to open water. I raced 3k in 19 without a wetsuit and was perfectly fine and some other guy was acting like he was hypothermic after racing in a full suit. After 15 minutes he was fine. It comes down to experience and tolerance. If you are not used to the feeling of cold water on your face you are more likely to have a problem.

Having raced in 10C (50F) in a wetsuit after swimming non wetsuit in 18 C water I will take the non wetsuit 18 every day of the week. Can you practice under similar conditions? What is your budget to rent. Maybe you can purchase a used sleeveless suit...
http://www.xterrawetsuits.com/store/index.php/products/wetsuit-clea...
2014-07-22 2:29 AM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Harare
Depends on the person, but I'd say you don't need a wetsuit for a 65 degree sprint. It will be chilly for sure, but not dangerous as long as you are reasonably accustomed to swimming in colder water. I train mostly in about 68 degree water, and after 5 minutes you don't notice the cold. Just make sure you get in the water a bit before the race so it's not a huge shock to the system. If it's unseasonably cold the week before I'd start looking for a loaner, though.
2014-08-03 8:45 PM
in reply to: mgtye

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
How's your tolerance for cold? 65 is not that cold - it will seem cold at first but you'll get used to it and if you're working you'll keep plenty warm. That's just my experience/opinion, as mentioned what one person considers "refreshing" someone else might consider "OMG I'm getting hypothermia!"

Assuming you have done some open water swimming as part of your training (or are planning to), make note of the temperature and how you felt about it (after finishing your swim, not before). That should give you some sense of what you can take.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do I need a wetsuit? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

What To Wear Under Wetsuit-Support Needed!

Started by Sula
Views: 909 Posts: 4

2008-06-13 1:21 PM Artemis

Ladies: I need help with Wetsuit options

Started by rbekkelund
Views: 1243 Posts: 9

2007-05-16 2:45 PM DMW

DeSoto t1 Wetsuit Opinions Needed

Started by OldAg92
Views: 664 Posts: 9

2006-04-24 9:47 AM Daremo

Will I be needing a wetsuit?

Started by phoenixazul
Views: 1326 Posts: 8

2005-08-17 11:36 AM DRM

Is a full wetsuit needed?

Started by macsman
Views: 1009 Posts: 8

2005-01-07 3:49 PM umbach
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 24, 2012
comments : 1
Your wetsuit is a substantial investment, and proper care will extend its life considerably.

date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.
date : February 4, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Learn about the different styles of triathlon wetsuits, how to choose one and why it is beneficial to have one.

date : November 17, 2008
author : Ontherun
In part 3 of this series on mid-range fullsuits, we review the Neo Sport Sprint fullsuit for comfort, warmth, buoyancy and performance.
date : September 3, 2008
author : Ontherun
The first video in this series will go through some wetsuit basics: what is a triathlon wetsuit, different styles, rules for racing with a wetsuit and wetsuit care and fit.

date : August 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
I'm doing my first tri Saturday. It starts at 7 AM and the forecast is calling for a high of 82 (air temp). Do I need to rush out and get a wetsuit?
date : July 7, 2008
author : Ron
This is a 'first impressions' review of the Fit2Race Sockeye Fullsuit. From a first wetsuit point-of-view, I was able to dramatically improve my pace over non-wetsuit swims.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"