General Discussion Triathlon Talk » VA Trip and Places for Long Bike Ride Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-21 3:25 PM

User image

Regular
Smyrna (ATL)
Subject: VA Trip and Places for Long Bike Ride
I will be up there the week of Aug 5th and have a long ride to do (5 hours). Suggestions? Will be in white stone area by the bay.

Thanks,

Seth

2014-07-21 4:16 PM
in reply to: sramaley

User image

Expert
Broadlands
Subject: RE: VA Trip and Places for Long Bike Ride

Not sure exactly where you'll be, but the Lake Anna half Ironman course is about 2 hours (Car) from White Stone.  The ride from the State Park at Lake Anna is pretty nice, you could plan to drive there and follow the course.  detailed on the website (Patriots Half)

I'm sure it's nice around White Stone itself, Although I imagine flat.

2014-07-22 9:23 AM

User image

Regular
5 hours is a lot to get in around that area, as you won't be able to cross the Rapp bridge on your bike.

White Stone out to Windmill Pt is only about 7 miles, but worth the trip for the views of the Bay. You can then go 2 mi west to Irvington, then 3 mi north through Kilmarnock.. that doesn't get you much though. Past here is where you need to find the bulk of your mileage. Lots of narrow country highway, not ideal for bikes.

You might try searching routes on RidewithGPS.

Otherwise consider driving an hour south to Williamsburg and riding the Capital Trail routes. I did this a bunch while training for IM last year.
2014-07-31 1:33 PM

User image

Regular
Smyrna (ATL)
Thanks. Yes, rode some of the roads last year and they were not bike friendly. I will check out your reccomendations. Thanks.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » VA Trip and Places for Long Bike Ride Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bike rides around Old Town Alexandria,VA

Started by Dlaxman31
Views: 1755 Posts: 7

2011-10-14 9:17 AM windandsurf

Staunton VA Bike Rides...

Started by jimburnettva
Views: 1361 Posts: 1

2011-05-20 9:08 AM jimburnettva

Need long ride route in VA beach please.

Started by chevy57
Views: 1652 Posts: 8

2010-07-28 11:06 AM Bone Head

Williamsburg Va Rode Ride Today

Started by tri'n
Views: 710 Posts: 1

2008-02-09 7:46 AM tri'n

Power training seminars with Hunter Allen - VA Beach, VA

Started by TH3_FRB
Views: 715 Posts: 2

2007-09-25 10:38 PM TH3_FRB
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 0
A disappointing start to the season need not set the tone.

date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!
date : January 8, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
I am in the market for a new road bike, at several local bike stores I will test ride several bikes. Other than basic fit and components, how should I compare them while doing a test ride?

date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?
date : November 12, 2008
author : AMSSM
On the long bike rides of 80+ miles I get very strong pain in my toes. I slow down my pace and I might recover, but when I hit the next hill it is back. Could this be some kind of circulation issue?

date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.
date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.