World Triathlon Corporation
61F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 09m 26s
Overall Rank = 304/2594
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 42/279
Pre-race routine:

3 Ensures and a banana for breakfast. Hard to eat what I what on the road and I read about using Ensure and it worked well. Since my race didn't t start until 8:16 (wave 20), I brought a 4th ensure and water to have about 60 minutes out.
Swim
  • 39m 25s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Having a bike accident 2 weeks ago with a separated shoulder had me worried on if I would be able to do this race. My swim always sucks and I was aiming for 35 or lower for this race. My shoulder hurt like hell when I tried to swim 4 days before the race but it felt much leading to the race and hardly bothered me. I didn't push myself crazy hard but I did push myself with no pain so I'm a little disappointing in the time since I had hardly any pain but if I was in pain, I'd be super happy with the time.

There were no port-a-potties at swim start. Luckily I found some on the run course after walking randomly trying to find some private bushes but they closed them off after I did my business since too many people were using them. Don't know what they expect 2,600 people to do. Obviously people need to do their business before a race,
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster with a good shoulder :)
Transition 1
  • 06m 37s
Comments:

I always make this transition too complicated. I brought some biking shorts to wear over my tri shorts and also wore gloves. This is something I really need to work on.

Get faster. Practice my routine more. Wearing tri shorts alone does not work for me on hour+ rides so yeah...
Bike
  • 2h 34m 58s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.68 mile/hr
Comments:

I was about 10-15 watts lower than I wanted. Was the first time using aero helmet and race wheels in race. Results were nice.

Hit my target zone. I averaged only a few watts above Z2.
Transition 2
  • 03m
Comments:

Thought I did this much faster. I did stop for sunscreen but that was pretty quick/
Run
  • 1h 45m 26s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

With no HRM, I was running blind. It was nice not being a slave to it anymore but I know how it helps me to pace myself correctly on longer distance runs. Started off at a 7:00/pace and felt great. This was too fast and I started to slow down. At mile 8 my stomach cramped up so bad, I had to stop and walk. I tried to slow jog a minute or so later and it hurt too much and I went back to walking. I then tried a slow painful jog. It slowly got better after I downed nothing but water. May have been a GU issue? Never had an issue before though. At mile 10 I was recovered and started getting back to 8:00/mile pace. At mile 12 I felt great and went down to 7:30mile/pace, even with stopping at aid station.

Nothing. Pretty happy about this. I did not eat enough during the race overall but I performed just fine. I was aiming at 1:40 when I started the run since I felt so good but things happen. Still very happy with time though.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Shoulder injury
Crowed course / sometimes difficult to pass
Stomach Cramp

Event comments:

No bathrooms at swim start really sucked and was poor planing, imo. I didn't like that I had to start almost 80 minutes after the start of the race. Luckily I brought a lot of water otherwise I'd be starting thirsty before the race even started. Good support of town/volunteers. Was a nice flat course but the roads need to be addressed like most races but they spent 10+ minutes at the race meeting talking about all the bad spots.

Overall I'm happy with race. I did Kansas 70.3 in 6:06 last year. That course was harder than this but knocking off almost an hour off my HIM time in a year is something I plan to brag about to friends :)

Last updated: 2014-07-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:25 | 2112 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 95/279
Overall: 793/2594
Performance: Below average
Suit: Full
Course: Point to point race.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 06:37
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
02:34:58 | 56 miles | 21.68 mile/hr
Age Group: 43/279
Overall: 378/2594
Performance: Good
HRM was on doesn't didn't work.
Wind: Little
Course: Flat and rough. Lots of officials giving out penalties. Was annoying since all the faster waves started last and had to pass people non stop. Lots of people stayed to the left when not passing.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:45:26 | 13.1 miles | 08m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 42/279
Overall: 304/2594
Performance: Good
HRM didn't work during race...
Course: 2 loop course. 2 small/medium hills that sucked but otherwise was very flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2014-07-21 3:47 PM

User image

Subject: Ironman 70.3 Racine
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Racine Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Racine Pages: 1 2

Started by kimk
Views: 6070 Posts: 26

2010-07-22 8:14 PM miami9296

Ironman 70.3 Racine

Started by TUEFELHUNDEN
Views: 3479 Posts: 10

2013-07-22 5:34 PM Diesel J

Ironman 70.3 Racine

Started by GRB1
Views: 3634 Posts: 7

2010-07-22 12:11 PM Ershk

Ironman 70.3 Racine

Started by swimwiu52
Views: 3186 Posts: 7

2010-07-22 12:27 PM Ershk

Ironman 70.3 Racine

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 4993 Posts: 19

2013-07-22 4:15 PM rdietz
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.