General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Salt deficiency ? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-21 9:39 PM

User image

Subject: Salt deficiency ?
Ok, so I am totally self diagnosing here but maybe someone else (many others?) have had the same issues.

Almost every swim for the past 2-3 weeks I cramp up in the pool, im talking those crazy big toe going in the wrong direction cramp. My other issue is at night when standing up quickly I often get a quick faint dizzy spell.

I realize that this prob isn't enough info to give something in concrete, however does that sound like salt issues? If so, what next (besides the obvious eat salty things). What do others make sure they are getting to get enough salt that obviously wouldn't involve eating chips

2014-07-21 10:54 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Salt deficiency ?
How in shape are you? Are you swimming at your limit most of the time? If you're not in the best of shape or you're always trying hard, then you're going to cramp up...at least until your body gets used to it.

Also, I get light headed when standing up most of the time too and have to grab the counter a lot. My blood pressure normally hovers at 90/50 to 100/60. Just one of the side effects of being in shape. If it gets any lower than that, then I'd talk to my doctor about what steps or meds I would need to take but it's just being physically fit for me, instead of being a medical issue.

Edited by Blastman 2014-07-21 10:54 PM
2014-07-21 11:04 PM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Id like to think I am in pretty good shape, on avg for the past 6 months or so I have been doing 2-3 Swims, Bikes, Runs a week.

My BP is getting lower, possibly connected to the dizzy spells? was around 110/70 last week.

So, odd (or maybe not) the cramps only happen in the swim, no problems running 5-8 miles a time or biking 25-40 miles a time
2014-07-22 6:12 AM
in reply to: ECS49

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
For the swim, do you point your toes continually? Ideally you want to leave your ankle relaxed without having to use your calf to point your toes. If your calf is continually engaged, this will often lead to cramps of the lower legs and feet. Another issue on the swim is how you push off the wall; try to put you foot flat on the wall and push as this will often help ward off cramps.

Beyond that, just keep swimming and most likely as fitness improves, the frequency of cramps will decrease.

Shane
2014-07-22 7:41 AM
in reply to: ECS49

User image

Regular
Originally posted by ECS49

Ok, so I am totally self diagnosing here but maybe someone else (many others?) have had the same issues.

Almost every swim for the past 2-3 weeks I cramp up in the pool, im talking those crazy big toe going in the wrong direction cramp. My other issue is at night when standing up quickly I often get a quick faint dizzy spell.

I realize that this prob isn't enough info to give something in concrete, however does that sound like salt issues? If so, what next (besides the obvious eat salty things). What do others make sure they are getting to get enough salt that obviously wouldn't involve eating chips

ECS - can only comment about the dizzy spells. When I first started training, I had the same problem, but I actually passed out twice. I went to a number of doctors and essentially was told I needed to drink more water. I'm a heavy sweater and I was not replacing enough fluids during the day. Once I started doing that, the problem went away. Occasionally, it will creep back, but if I increase my water intake, its controlled.
2014-07-22 10:54 AM
in reply to: Blastman

I eat about 1/2 T of table salt each morning per the advice of my cardiologist. It made a huge difference in my lightheadedness/dizziness/fainting.

I can skip for a while (like weeks) but then it starts to come back again. When I am less active (and I'm not fit or terribly active!) I still get dizzy when I skip, so I'm not sure where all that salt is going.

2014-07-22 11:07 AM
in reply to: Quigley

User image

The sweat/water would also make sense. I sweat alot when working out, especially if it is humid. I really prob need to take in more water
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Salt deficiency ? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Salt tablets/ salt stick

Started by Fitzy
Views: 2825 Posts: 18

2014-06-09 8:49 AM DV 1

PSA re: iron deficiency

Started by wrkinprogress
Views: 3000 Posts: 23

2013-06-30 1:31 PM RZ0

Post dog encounter adrenaline deficiency

Started by smoom
Views: 1317 Posts: 5

2012-12-16 8:19 PM jobaxas

Salt Pills

Started by benihana
Views: 1683 Posts: 14

2006-06-11 7:18 PM joannh13

Too much salt?

Started by kpar
Views: 439 Posts: 1

2006-06-06 1:36 PM kpar
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
comments : 0
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : May 25, 2009
author : mrakes1
Do you consume too much salt in your diet? What are the ramifications for the endurance athlete?
date : March 5, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 3
Why do you think you need to take so many pills? Look instead at your eating patterns - not vitamin deficiencies - as contributing to the low energy.

date : September 25, 2007
author : mrakes1
Are you a heavy sweater? Do you finish a race covered in white-streaks? Do you cramp during a race? Than this article is for you.
date : June 14, 2005
author : infosteward
The best hydration formula includes a mixture of salt and a variety of carbohydrates, amino acids are good to decrease muscle soreness but not necessary to increase performance.

date : May 16, 2005
author : Nancy Clark
Perhaps you, too, have wondered about the role of salt, or more correctly, sodium (the part of salt associated with high blood pressure) in your diet. This article can help you figure that out.
date : April 9, 2005
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
I am training for my first IM and lately I have been getting cramps in my calves. I am a heavy salt sweater and I was wondering if that has anything to do with it?

date : August 28, 2004
author : BrianPBN
Not one menu is a perfect fit for all athletes, but there are some general rules that everyone can use as a guide during the final 24 hours leading into your race.