Tricat Sports
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 42m 5s
Overall Rank = 213/257
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 14/16
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5 of 5. got into my swimsuit and shorts, hoodie, bike was already ready to go. had a egg on a muffin. Then we biked down to the island, about 2 miles from the house to the event. Got down there at 5:30 and wasn't the first, but within the first 50. Got my chip at about 6. drank a little. Chatted and streched. Then at about 6:30 started sucking on some gu, did three packs before we started a little after 7 since it was outlawed for the race itself. 2 chocolate and 1 carmel. Didn't really care for the carmel but they all sat well.
Event warmup:

bike ride in and some streching
Swim
  • 19m 47s
  • 1056 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started out in the water, but it was never more then chest deep the whole time. Pretty good down stream current that helped push everyone. People kept standing up looking like goffers popping out of the water. Most of them were far enough way that they didn't get in my way, just caught my attention. I couldn't see well for three reasons. First the sun just crested over the bridges onto the water when we started, so there was terrible sun glare. Maybe better goggles would help that. I literally couldn't see the person swimming next to me because of glare. Then there was the sediment in the water so I couldn't see far which meant that I was breathing every other stroke instead of my normal pool stroke of every 3. I did switch sides a couple of time but most was breathing on the right side. No glare over there. I was feeling like I was left behind until I smacked my first person and it was a guy. The guys were in 2 waves 3 and 6 mins ahead of all women and teams. Then i felt better because I knew I was catching up on people, just a bit to the right of most swimmers. They told us to go between these 2 archs on the first bridge, but apparently I was the only one listening because everyone else was one arch closer to the island. that probly wasted close to a min of my time. gr
Other wise I didn't breaststroke the whole time, my breathing was fine.
What would you do differently?:

stay a little closer to the island, get better goggles, practice more OWS so the not seeing doesn't bother me so much. I just am afraid of hitting people, going off course
Transition 1
  • 02m 48s
Comments:

I do not have clips, so I had to sit down and put on my sneakers on and tie them, that was most of the time. I also put on a camleback to have water since I only had one water bottle on the bike and I but gatoraid in it.

water down the gatoraid and not wear the camleback
Bike
  • 46m 38s
  • 14.5 miles
  • 18.66 mile/hr
Comments:

WINDY it was so windy going up, I know there were times I was down under 14. I aimed for 19 on the way down and 20 on the way back, but I was falling short. My legs were just to beat to keep up to where I wanted to be. I did get up to 24.2 at one point, but really for the most I kept between 17-20mph.

My camelback. The baby chewed through the mouth piece, so I was fighting with it and it distracted me. it ended up slowly dripping on me the whole way, but the bigger proble was it was hard to control the flow which made breathing and drinking hard. so either get a second bottle mounted, live with just one, or not let kids play with mommy's tri stuff
Transition 2
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

haha, one advantage, I was already in my sneakers. I just switched out my helmet for my visor. then I was off again
Run
  • 32m 5s
  • 2.8 miles
  • 11m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

I RAN THE WHOLE WAY. ok it was much more like a jog, but I was doing all I could. I was only tempted to walk at the beginning of the first lap, then I was fine. It was mentally good and bad to have so many people passing me. Good because I knew I beat them in the combined swim/bike. Bad because it frustrated me that I couldn't run fast enough for them to at least not pass me.
Post race
Warm down:

streched a bit, walked around in circles. Right after I crossed the finish line they took off the time chip and tied my shoe that had been un tied for the whole last mile, but I didn't want to stop and tie it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

muscle pain. Just need more training to get better.

Event comments:

They had bull horns to talk, but no one could hear them at any time. started late and no one said, hey get to the other end of the island to start the swi. that would of been helpful

Last updated: 2006-07-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:47 | 1056 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/16
Overall: 101/257
Performance: Good
Suit: blue striped nike suit
Course: a bit out and straight down stream
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:48
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:46:38 | 14.5 miles | 18.66 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/16
Overall: 181/257
Wind: Headwind
Course: straight up to fort hunter and back down cops at all intersections, lanes closed off. Not much traffic
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:47
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:05 | 02.8 miles | 11m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 219/16
Overall: 16/257
Course: Twice around the island and the inner loop. Start andfinish by the parking garage
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-08-14 9:44 PM

User image

Regular
PA
Subject: Catfish Triathlon

2006-08-15 5:31 AM
in reply to: #511715

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Subject: RE: Catfish Triathlon
Nice race. I swam where we were supposed to also. I'm still not sure how you can miss something as large as a bridge abutment with a huge chunk of hot pink posterboard taped to it... The water was clearer and the current was a little faster out in the channel, so you probably didn't lose any time overall. Good job and congratulations on your first tri!

-Frank

Edited by scuba-punk 2006-08-15 5:32 AM
2006-08-16 2:28 PM
in reply to: #511715

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Subject: RE: Catfish Triathlon
COngratulations. Fabulous race and race report. You are very good in the water and on the bike. Your consistent run training has paid off in that you ran the whole way. Our numbers for our first individual tris look similar. Good swims good bike, sucky runs. This is where the skinny people prevail, you know?! It is annoying when you work so hard!! Anyway, here's to a great race. Cheers :-)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Catfish Triathlon Rss Feed