World Triathlon Corporation
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 02m 39s
Overall Rank = 1043/2594
Age Group = f50-54
Age Group Rank = 19/63
Pre-race routine:

Typical pre-race routine. Up by 3:30 for some coffee and fuel. Had a KII Kookie and banana. Left the house about 4:30 Arrived at venue about 5:10 to masses of folks trying to find parking. We parked on the street as usual, walked to transition, said "hi" to Jeff, and set up our gear. Returned to the car to dump whatever we didn't need that morning. Then headed back down to transition. Got all our swim stuff together and headed for the long walk to swim start
Event warmup:

no warmup! Water temps were at the brink, so it was important to keep myself as toasty warm as possible. Got in my own head like I typically do and just thought about the day to come. I knew in my head that breaking 6 hours was going to be a challenge. The day before, I figured 6:02. But wanted desperately to go under 6. So my little brain was calculating different scenarios.
Swim
  • 36m
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

Gosh, I love this swim! Lake Michigan can be a beast or a baby. And today she was a gentle giant. I remember thinking about the bike during the swim, and then said to myself, "Cyn, just enjoy this moment. This is where you are the most comfortable. Mentally, stay here". I have such an early start that the only folks I have to work thru are the 55+ men in the wave in front of me. It seemed like a lot of them struggled more this year. Could be the cold. The important thing was to not crawl over them. Those that are struggling deserve a little room
What would you do differently?:

I may have started a little closer to the buoys. My favorite area has always been to line up to the left and let the ladies "who think they are fast" just go. Its just not worth the struggle or extra energy.
Transition 1
  • 05m 7s
Comments:

This is a dicey transition with the beach run to the path. My thought is to keep my HR down and carefully make my way through. Then when I hit the pavement, it's dip the feet, strip the suit and go!

probably could have shaved off about 15 -20 seconds in T2 with organizing my stuff.
Bike
  • 3h 12m 27s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.46 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike is all about maintaining patience and diligence. Fueling is critical. Without proper fueling, it's a burn up on the run. And my coach says, " a successful 1/2 ironman is based on the run, not the bike or swim". So was cautious not to cramp. This was the first time I rode the course with such confidence. Feeling good about the day and no cramping, I finally picked up the pace a tad at mile 40. The road conditions are less than perfect, but the volunteers and police are by far the BEST for any race we've done. My goal was to hit Main St. at the 3 hour mark. Unfortunately, I didn't hit the number, but I was close. I'm also trying to teach myself to "flow on the go"....yeah Right! I tried sitting, standing, coasting, pedaling. Nothing! This is something that needs work.

Learn to pee while riding. What the heck?! It shouldn't be that difficult.
Transition 2
  • 02m 56s
Comments:

Gosh darn....I should have been faster in T2. I sat down, changed shoes, made sure I took gel/salt. And grabbed my hat, belt and gels. Hit the lap button on my watch on the way out and saw 3:57 on the clock! Holy CRAP, I said (probably out loud). I was so excited to think I needed to run a 2:03 to hit that 6:00 hr mark.

move faster thru transition.
Run
  • 2h 06m 9s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Well now.....things were going along quite nicely until I felt a little niggle on the bottom of my left foot. I kept myself on pace until about mile 8.5, then decided to remove the shoe and sock to have a look. Didn't see a pebble, so put everything back together and kept moving. Gotta put it out of my head. Clock was a tickin' and I had to make up time. Got a giggle at the rooster on both laps. Apparently, we annoyed the heck out of him. And the cattle/steer were hysterical...up, down, mooing. Nothing like it on any other course. :-) Made the final turn at Shoop for the hard run down. Made sure I continued to walk thru aid stations and take in water, gel/salt and Rx'd in my race plan. Made my way off main street and I was all smiles. What a day I had.

Probably would have skipped the last aid station and just made my way home to the finish.
Post race
Warm down:

headed directly to the first aid tent for some coke and ice.

Event comments:

I do enjoy Ironman organized events! Top notch, well run, and I feel safe!

Last updated: 2013-10-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:00 | 2112 yards | 01m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/63
Overall: 49/2594
Performance:
Suit: long sleeve
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:07
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:12:27 | 56 miles | 17.46 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/63
Overall: 1258/2594
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 83
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:56
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:06:09 | 13.1 miles | 09m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/63
Overall: 1043/2594
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-07-22 4:10 PM

User image

New user
Kenosha
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Racine
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Racine Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Racine Pages: 1 2

Started by kimk
Views: 6049 Posts: 26

2010-07-22 8:14 PM miami9296

Ironman 70.3 Racine

Started by TUEFELHUNDEN
Views: 3475 Posts: 10

2013-07-22 5:34 PM Diesel J

Ironman 70.3 Racine

Started by GRB1
Views: 3631 Posts: 7

2010-07-22 12:11 PM Ershk

Ironman 70.3 Racine

Started by swimwiu52
Views: 3185 Posts: 7

2010-07-22 12:27 PM Ershk

Ironman 70.3 Racine

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 4989 Posts: 19

2013-07-22 4:15 PM rdietz
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.