General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trying to Decide which Ironman to do in 2015 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-22 5:03 PM

Subject: Trying to Decide which Ironman to do in 2015
Hey Everyone!!

So this past weekend I did my first half ironman (Racine). I had a blast and it was an amazing experience. I finished an hour ahead of my goal time. It really wasn't until the last few miles of the run that I started to feel myself get tired. However, I was never sore and two days later I feel back to normal.

Prior to this race I was undecided about whether or not I wanted to do a full next year. Honestly I wanted to see how I did in the half before making a decision. Now that I've completed Racine I really want to do one in 2015. I've done 12 marathons, 5 ultras, and several century rides so I know how to train for endurance races.

I'm trying to decide between two races, Wisconsin and Lousiville. I live in Chicago so I want to do one that is driveable since I really don't want to have to deal with airfare, shipping my bike, etc. Logistically Wisconsin makes the most sense (and I am signed up to volunteer) but the bike course scares me with all the hills. I just don't want to be the one that has to walk the bike up the hills. I am not a super fast cyclist (I average around 17-18 mph).

Although for Lousiville there are hills, however, they don't seem to be as steep as Wisconsin. However, the heat has me worried.

Has anyone done either one or both? All I've read online is how bad the Wisconsin bike course is and how bad the heat is in Louisville.

Thanks!!

2014-07-23 7:05 AM
in reply to: katgirl2013

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Trying to Decide which Ironman to do in 2015

I haven't done IMmoo or IMKY.  

Heat and humidity don't excite me, so unless I spend a couple years here getting acclimated to both, I'm unlikely to sign up for IMKY.  

From what I've heard, the hills at IMmoo are continuous rollers, so nothing overly steep or long, just constant.  You could go ride the course and see for yourself.  

Getting into IMmoo is harder than IMKY.  Plan to volunteer and register on-site.  I rode over the weekend with someone who signed up for IMKY a month before the race.  

2014-07-23 8:45 AM

User image

gawd - I'd love to avg 17-18 on the bike...my IM right now is looking at a 15-16 avg...
2014-07-23 1:27 PM
in reply to: #5029259

User image

New user

I've done L' ville and will be doing Wisconsin in September. While I haven't raced Wisconsin yet, I have gone there as a spectator. I would absolutely recommend Wisconsin over L'ville. The bike course might be slightly harder, but not by a lot. Beyond that everything else is better at Wisconsin. The swim... The Ohio river is disgusting. The fan support, way better in Madison. Good luck whatever race you sign up for.
2014-07-23 2:21 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I've done both - and loved both for different reasons.

You are correct that the hills are HILLS in Wisconsin. I am a weak cyclist and average under 15mph over 112 miles - and was just fine. Yes it was slow, and the amazing spectators could run along side me on the hills - but the Wisconsin hill sections are some of the most memorable in all of Ironman. Think Tour de France, with people dressed up as devils with pitchforks, men in cheerleader outfits, super heroes, blow up dolls, and the music and cowbells! Loud and electrifying and amazing. It was something I'll never forget - and it made the grind upwards so much fun.

Living so close, ideally you can pop up to the race course and do a few practice rides. I live in Kansas and made the road trip 2x before my race, and am so glad I did! There is typically the Madison Open Water Swim race (conveniently 2.4 miles in Lake Monona!) about 3 weeks out from the Ironman - it's packed with athletes using it as a last "big" training weekend - everyone hits the bike course afterwards for a cool 100 or 112 miles. A great training opportunity!

Louisville was also great for me - the swim is a time trial start and I had ZERO contact in the water, a far cry from Madison's mass start (do they still do mass starts there?). I loved it. All lake and river water is the same to me, so when people complain how dirty the Ohio River is, it doesn't resonate here. They are all dirty. I did Louisville the year after the "running out of water" debacle, and the temps didn't even reach 90 degrees that day. It was quite lovely. The run in Louisville is pretty much an out and back, which was comforting to me for some reason. I could see all of my friends in multiple places, unlike a winding/curvy route with lots of turns.

I will give an edge to Wisconsin for the rockstar atmosphere. There was some of that at Louisville, but nothing like Madison, especially along the bike course. Finish lines were equally amazing - the lights, the people, how they make you feel like a super hero with your own parade. 

I don't think you can go wrong, but for your location and ability to practice on-course I would probably lean towards Wisconsin.

Here are my race reports if you have time to kill - Wisconsin 2010 and Louisville 2011.

2014-07-23 4:16 PM
in reply to: lisac957

Thank you all so much for your input!! I talked to a friend who biked part of the Wisconsin course and claims she is a pretty weak cyclist. She said while the hills were hard for her they probably wouldn't be as much of a problem for me.

I think I am going to do Wisconsin. The big crowd atmosphere appeals to me and I know several family and friends that would make the drive up there to cheer me on.

Like I said I am signed up to volunteer at Wisconsin so I'll be able to register the day after the race.

I never thought in a million years I would be signing up for an ironman. I've only been swimming for a year and a half and am sort of self taught ( I have taken lessons). This winter I plan on working on getting faster in the pool and building up my endurance on the bike.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trying to Decide which Ironman to do in 2015 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Austria 2015

Started by WildWill
Views: 954 Posts: 1

2014-06-30 9:04 AM WildWill

Good Family place to stay for IMLP - 2015

Started by Mike_D
Views: 1426 Posts: 5

2014-07-25 5:54 AM miamiamy

Ironman Texas - 2015 Pages: 1 2

Started by Swimaway
Views: 4943 Posts: 26

2015-02-16 10:21 AM Iron0331

Trying to decide on which Plan for Full Ironman

Started by JHembrow
Views: 1682 Posts: 8

2013-12-17 10:17 AM Kevin26.2

Trying to decide between Zoots or Kinvaras for first IM

Started by ahohl
Views: 1112 Posts: 3

2010-09-03 2:32 PM bryancd
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : December 24, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.
date : December 19, 2008
author : AMSSM
My right knee has a pain in the front, just below the kneecap. I walked 24 miles of IM Louisville. No pain while walking but it started immediately when trying to run.

date : November 19, 2007
author : CyndiPPF
So here I was, a hard-working, respectable, just-turned-forty-six-year-old, who never considered herself athletic, lining up in my swim cap and goggles for my first triathlon.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.
date : July 17, 2005
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 8
What to wear under the wetsuit? What to wear for the bike and the run? Good thing someone invented the wonderful trisuit, to which we’ve become accustomed. It’s supposed to make our lives so simple.

date : May 16, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Enter the new TYR X-Sight goggles. The X-Sights have been designed with a flexible nose bridge that (surprise, surprise) is shaped like an “X”.