Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Toronto: Ride/run/swim suggestions Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-22 6:04 PM

User image

Subject: Toronto: Ride/run/swim suggestions
Hi all!
I will be visiting Toronto for several weeks (starting this weekend) and, while this is sure to be a good time it also coincides with the last, few weeks of 70.3 training. That being said I was wondering if anyone had any tips for good rides (my longest will be roughly 80miles), running routes, and pools? Thanks in advance!

Helen

2014-07-23 10:49 AM
in reply to: mtrunner6

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Toronto: Ride/run/swim suggestions

So, are you staying downtown? Do you have access to a car?

For biking:

From my perspective as a westender - the easiest if you have a bike and are relatively close to the waterfront is to go to the Martin Goodman trail and head west. It will take you pretty far but you'll eventually connect with Lakeshore Blvd. which is pretty bike friendly (traffic can be fast but the earlier the better) and you can stay on that for quite some time.  I am sure that on Strava or Map My Bike you can see where people typically go.  (I have a route this way and i can describe more if you want since there is some construction in Mississauga right now)

If you have a car a very popular thing to do is 'ride Warden'.  It's a country road just north of the city - there's a baseball diamond where most people park (Just of hwy 404 at Elgin Mills) - you have to head east on your bike on Elgin Mills for a few minutes and then go left on Warden and you can basically ride north right to Lake Simcoe.  Just turn around when you've reached the time.

Swimming

Lots of options too - tons of public pools with an hour or two each day for lane swim. Costs $3-3.50 - search lane swimming on the city of toronto website. it's not the greatest site, you'll probably want to use a map to see the nearest to you.

Also open water in Lake Ontario - see here: http://oannesswims.com/ they have group open water. And C3 (a coaching group) outside of the city has open water times in a quarry for about $10.  But it's out of the way if you don't have a car.  You can get to the Cherry beach for swimming by bus if you want.

These are ones I know of. 

Running:

Toronto has lots of great places to run - just depends on where you are for specifics.  If you want a group or to ask about routes near you there are tons of Running Room stores.  (Are you canadian? You might know this so sorry if it is a repeat) But they have free group runs on Wednesday at 6:30 and Sundays at 8:30am. If you are downtown there are several stores.

Is that a start? I may be able to help more depending on where you stay. 

2014-07-23 10:58 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Elite
Ontario

To Jen's point - it really matters where you are going to be staying.  But there should be lots of options available to you no matter what.

2014-07-23 1:43 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by juniperjen

So, are you staying downtown? Do you have access to a car?

Good point! I think being from a small town makes me forgot how massive Toronto is (or so I've heard). In answer to your questions: I am not Canadian, actually this will be my first visit to Canada, I will be staying in the downtown area, near York University, and I do have access to a car. Thank for the suggestions, I'll take any other tips as well!

Helen

Edited by mtrunner6 2014-07-23 2:05 PM
2014-07-23 5:47 PM

User image

Strike that! I was just informed I will be in North Toronto (around Yonge and Lawrence), sorry for the mix up , as I said this will be my first time in Toronto.
2014-07-23 9:21 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Yonge and Lawrence is a lovely area.  (I lived around there for a while - near the Glendon Campus of York but before i became a runner/triathlete).   For running you'll be well set up being near to Sunnybrook and the Beltline.  You'll also be handy to the Yonge/Eglinton running room where they can help you out with more routes.

I don't bike around there - i know there are well-traveled routes around Bayview but you might need some other folks to chime in.  There is the Trek store midtown - my swim coach sometimes leads bike groups and seminars from there. And Gears is in Leaside and is great bike shop - you may be able to get better info about biking in the area and groups to join.

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Toronto: Ride/run/swim suggestions Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Master Swim Toronto?

Started by Pesch
Views: 930 Posts: 3

2012-11-21 12:28 PM juniperjen

Swimming in Toronto

Started by jaycee6
Views: 1468 Posts: 10

2012-04-10 12:45 PM NickChasovskykh

Swim wear in Toronto

Started by IndependentMind
Views: 4197 Posts: 11

2009-12-20 11:43 PM sandytilan

Favorite Open Water Swim locations west of Toronto

Started by mgalanter
Views: 4196 Posts: 8

2009-07-26 9:18 PM mshanks

Looking for Masters Swim Program in Toronto

Started by jordanb
Views: 1277 Posts: 6

2009-03-03 4:21 PM mauisurfchick
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
comments : 0
What is the difference between a recovery ride and junk miles?

date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : November 3, 2008
author : stultzt
comments : 3
Two years ago I weighed in at a hefty 280 lbs and was a mess. Now I'm a lean 180 lbs and train daily. What a difference healthy eating, exercise, and self discipline can make!
date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.

date : November 6, 2006
author : Terese Luikens
Over this next month I will be learning more about my bike each time I take it out to ride. I want to take full advantage of what it has to offer.
date : June 5, 2006
author : Ontherun
A few months back I wrote an article about buying your next bike. Well now I have done it and wish to share my experience and choice with you.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.