General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First OWS practice... help with sighting Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-23 12:32 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: First OWS practice... help with sighting
This is sooooo different! I am veering off-course. Sighting is breaking my rhythm and streamlined form. Chop is making it little more difficult even with bilateral breathing. The undersized rental wetsuit is tight on the chest... feeling restricted. And lastly, how the hell... do i get this second skin of neoprene off me?!!!

But for the actual swim part, I struggled with sighting/periscoping to keep myself going straight today! If I raised my head up, it felt very awkward and made me less efficient which used more energy. At the same time, I don't want to go zigzag in open water wasting energy and time either. Any thoughts/suggestions?

2014-07-23 1:21 AM
in reply to: ironbaby

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA
Subject: RE: First OWS practice... help with sighting

Concentrate on the sun if it is bright enough. I have usually been able to swim straight by paying attention to the bright spot in my eyes and making adjustments to keep it in the same place and popping up every few moments to check on some far off landmark/buoy/etc.

Also, if you notice a current crossing you, aim for a diagonal into it a bit to offset it pushing you sideways.

Just takes some concentration and practice.

2014-07-23 10:52 AM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Practice sighting in a pool and find a rhythm that works for you. For me, when bilateral breathing, I sight after each breath on my left hand side. 

2014-07-23 11:30 AM

Keep practicing. Perhaps check out a couple youtube video's of ITU swim starts. Check out how they are doing it, how it fits into their stroke cycle. As in everything else, the more you practice the better it gets, but it's not terribly hard to figure out. If I can't get to open water before a race, I'll practice my timing in the pool, sighting for 25 yards on each 100 for awhile.

If you have trouble seeing buoy's that sit low in the water, see if you can find a structure on land (tall tree, bridge, house) that is directly between you and the buoy. Don't underestimate the need to sight early and often. Nothing worse than swimming an extra 2-4 minutes b/c you didn't swim straight. It's super frustrating to be off target and you expend extra energy getting yourself back onto the course. If you can't see what you need to swim to, your often better floating for a few seconds getting your bearing, finding your sight point, and then starting again rather than trying to figure it out while swimming.
2014-07-23 11:36 AM

User image

Are you practicing it in a pool?  How are you sighting?  Lifting your head but finishing the stroke with your head in the same position as if you had just taken a breath.  Or trying to swim a stroke or two with your head out of the water.

Unless you are used to it the act of lifting your head requires a bit more shoulder strength then your normal stroke.   Another option but requires some blind faith (pun intended) is to draft off someone and hope they stay on course.  I would still take a peek or two using that technique.

2014-07-23 1:08 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Are you practicing it in a pool?  How are you sighting?  Lifting your head but finishing the stroke with your head in the same position as if you had just taken a breath.  Or trying to swim a stroke or two with your head out of the water.

Unless you are used to it the act of lifting your head requires a bit more shoulder strength then your normal stroke.   Another option but requires some blind faith (pun intended) is to draft off someone and hope they stay on course.  I would still take a peek or two using that technique.

And if they go off course, you might be going in the wrong direction, but you'll be making good time.

2014-07-23 2:00 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Regular
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Never practiced sighting in a pool. I am not trying to swim with my head out of the water but trying to make sighting a part of the breathing every few strokes. However, I realized that looking up every few strokes really breaks the rhythm and takes lot more energy compared to the pool.

How often do you guys recommend looking up to check the sighting when new to OW?
2014-07-23 2:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
Practice sighting in the pool and find a rhythm that works for you. I've found breathing every 4 works best for me.

Sight frequently, that is, almost every breath cycle - I'm particularly bad at this.

Learn the route, check before, count the buoys and ask if in doubt if you have to go right or left around. Find landmarks, buoys can be hard to see, lone trees, high buildings, eiffel towers etc.

Find a good pair of goggle. I frequently recommend swedish goggles, but for OWS they suck, they give you tunnel vision.

Consider overshooting, this means that if you have to go, say, clockwise so you have to turn right at the buoys, then overshooting to the left will make you do a slightly longer route but you won't have to go back to get the right way around a buoy, and you know that your turning point should be on your right.

I've found swimming without wetsuit makes sighting easier as there's no added buoyancy pushing my head down in the water.

BR, Erik
2014-07-23 2:35 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by ironbabyHow often do you guys recommend looking up to check the sighting when new to OW?

A lot of it depends on how straight you swim.  I'm comfortable with every ten strokes, but you need to practice and see what works for you.

Mark

2014-07-23 3:53 PM

User image

Never practiced sighting in a pool. I am not trying to swim with my head out of the water but trying to make sighting a part of the breathing every few strokes. However, I realized that looking up every few strokes really breaks the rhythm and takes lot more energy compared to the pool. How often do you guys recommend looking up to check the sighting when new to OW?

If you're new and your form is not the best I would sight more often as you will probably be zig zagging. 

Practice in the pool.  With some practice you will get fluid at it and it won't disrupt your stroke.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First OWS practice... help with sighting Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

OWS practice. Somebody yelling for help Pages: 1 2

Started by spiderjunior
Views: 2590 Posts: 26

2013-09-09 8:08 AM franktheguard

First OWS - sighting issues

Started by gti123
Views: 1170 Posts: 12

2012-07-14 8:34 AM mattramirez

OWS sighting practice/drills help

Started by thoover74
Views: 1352 Posts: 12

2011-08-16 3:20 PM b2673ad

First OWS Practice - Not Bad

Started by Goosedog
Views: 663 Posts: 4

2011-05-10 11:24 AM sdejan

Demoralizing first OWS practice

Started by mom2reese
Views: 1730 Posts: 22

2011-04-19 3:31 PM Aarondb4
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 12, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussions on open water swimming with waves, optimal breathing, practicing sighting, when to get up and run, using the back and breast stroke, dropping your stroke count and swim aids.
date : June 27, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Questions and answers on sleeve vs sleeveless wetsuits, benefits of bilateral breathing and practicing it, technique drills, sighting practice, paddle use, weight training and flip turn help.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Some are getting a little OWS practice in, others are strategizing, the rest are just plain scared.