General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any explanations as to why i'm running a similar HR at very different paces? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-23 8:01 AM

Arden, North Carolina
Subject: Any explanations as to why i'm running a similar HR at very different paces?
This has been a recurring thing, not just a one time fluke.
My long, slow runs lately have been around a 10:30 pace, and within a mile or two my HR is up to z2(160ish, give or take. My field test, yes I know how to do it, has my z2 between 155-167).
My mid week runs, are also supposed to be mostly z2, with some z4 intervals.

What I've seen happening is that my HR has been going up fast on my long workouts. Like I said above, i'm in the upper 150's within the first mile.
I've been dropping the z4 work from my midweek runs because whenever I hit that intensity i start feeling an old calf injury. It doesn't hurt yet, but the spot where I felt it becomes noticable. On my run yesterday my goal was just to sustain a z2 run for the full hour. I paced under 9 min miles, and I didn't hit the 160's until mile 5. And I kept getting faster as the run went on. I started around a 9:15, then gradually wound up at 8:50 by mile 4 before slowing a bit. But, still, significantly faster than my long runs. I've also been doing a 9 min run/1 min walk for all my runs. I just find that I'm faster overall by doing this, and it's the only way I keep my HR in z2.

I run at the same place every time, so the terrain is identical. I run in the morning on my long runs, so it's cooler, although the humidity is higher. My midweek runs are at 5 pm, so it's still hot, but less humid.

Could humidity play that much of a factor that I can run 1.5 min/mile faster at the same effort?

2014-07-23 8:19 AM
in reply to: TriDadinAsheville

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Any explanations as to why i'm running a similar HR at very different paces?

I see a big difference between running in the relatively cool mornings versus the afternoon heat here in FL.

When I ran on hot afternoons after a couple of miles I often had problems keeping my HR in Z2 without having to resort to frequent walk breaks.  That's one of the factors that influenced me to start running primarily by RPE, with HR as a secondary input.

I mostly run in the mornings now, heading out before sunrise.  The temperatures are cooler and you don't have the direct sun to contend with, but the +90% FL humidity still has me dripping wet by the time I finish.

Mark

2014-07-23 8:21 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

Arden, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Any explanations as to why i'm running a similar HR at very different paces?
Originally posted by RedCorvette

I see a big difference between running in the relatively cool mornings versus the afternoon heat here in FL.

When I ran on hot afternoons after a couple of miles I often had problems keeping my HR in Z2 without having to resort to frequent walk breaks.  That's one of the factors that influenced me to start running primarily by RPE, with HR as a secondary input.

I mostly run in the mornings now, heading out before sunrise.  The temperatures are cooler and you don't have the direct sun to contend with, but the +90% FL humidity still has me dripping wet by the time I finish.

Mark

That makes sense...however I'm the exact opposite. I'm running better later in the day with the heat and the sun. Maybe this portends good luck for me since the IM run will be later in the day
2014-07-23 8:24 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Most people's body isn't ready for optimal performance very close to waking up.
2014-07-23 8:37 AM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

Arden, North Carolina
Originally posted by Leegoocrap

Most people's body isn't ready for optimal performance very close to waking up.

That makes sense, but I don't get up and run..Its usually a good 2 hours or so after I wake up. But I haven't really moved much prior to those runs. That could be making a difference.
2014-07-23 8:42 AM

User image

i can think of multiple things - humidity, sleep the night before, food consuming during day/night before; overall general health, training load over the previous day/week - I don't necessarily think you can tie HR to one specific element

2014-07-23 8:45 AM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
I'm sure this isn't the case, but I didn't see that you addressed this exactly. So when your HR goes up at the 1-2mile mark on your long runs, if you hold the slow pace, does it stay up, or come back down after a while?

My garmin tends to spike around that same time period, but eventually evens back out by minute 20-25. Probably not the problem, but thought I'd throw it out there just in case.
2014-07-23 10:08 AM
in reply to: toodamnbroke

Arden, North Carolina
Originally posted by toodamnbroke

I'm sure this isn't the case, but I didn't see that you addressed this exactly. So when your HR goes up at the 1-2mile mark on your long runs, if you hold the slow pace, does it stay up, or come back down after a while?

My garmin tends to spike around that same time period, but eventually evens back out by minute 20-25. Probably not the problem, but thought I'd throw it out there just in case.

It just looked at my run from saturday and it pretty much stabilized just under 160 for the next 1.5 hours, at which point it jumped about 5 beats until I did a 20 min z4 interval.

My run yesterday it began rising again after about 30 minutes. But the plateau happened at about the same point...low 150's, but a much faster pace..but the plateau didn't last as long, as when it started rising it rose faster.

I don't know, I think figuring out heart rate is something that's like becoming a chess master. I don't run by HR, I always go by feel, while monitoring HR. Just found this really strange.
2014-07-23 11:37 AM

Why not try running simply by perceived effort then analyze the HR data when you get home? Your HR is affected by so many variables that are completely out of your control. If you feel good, push harder. . . if you feel your on the rivet, slow up a bit. I'm not trying to say HR data doesn't have it's place, it does. . . but I think it's a better tool in post-training analysis.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any explanations as to why i'm running a similar HR at very different paces? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Pace different in training and racing

Started by KatieLimb
Views: 804 Posts: 8

2012-05-24 12:08 PM brigby1

Running HR zones and pace zones don't jive Pages: 1 2

Started by UrsusAdiposimus
Views: 3995 Posts: 38

2010-03-10 4:57 PM Experior

Similar to another post but different

Started by dallas99
Views: 711 Posts: 10