General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is the Tucson Marathon fast? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-23 9:50 AM

User image

Pro
Subject: Is the Tucson Marathon fast?

I'm looking at the Tucson marathon as my BQ attempt this year, but can't quite figure out if it's a fast marathon or just a brutal one.  I could just do RnR Az, as that's a very BQable course.

Tucson marathon:  What should make it fast is that it drops over 2000ft.  Must be blazing!  Except that it's not that simple.

1.  it' starts at like 4800ft.  altitude will slow you down.

2.  some of it, such as the first couple miles, is really steep downhill- like 8%.  Hard to run fast when it's that steep.

3.  there are some pretty good uphills in there as well.

now- on the good side,

weather is nearly always perfect.  Nice and cool.  And,

I do run plenty of hills, so, the ups and downs won't be a shock to my training.

Thoughts from those who have run it?  

2014-07-25 12:00 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: RE: Is the Tucson Marathon fast?

I've run the half three times but have never ran the full. I did run Boston though My BQ was actually Rock n Roll AZ and then I ran a BQ time at Boston this year so hopefully headed back next year. 

The half is fast. I'm probably a solid 2 minutes faster on that half than a more flat course, however, the last few miles can absolutely ruin your day. Last year I went 1:21 in the half but the course detour the last 5 miles definitely made that course much slower due to the hills it brought into play. If it's back to the normal profile this year then you really only have that one short, semi steep, hill around mile 19-20 (forget exactly where it is) and that's it. IMO, if you put some focused efforts into running a lot of downhills, like really hammer your legs with them, then you can fly on that course, especially if the original route comes back into play. You just need to be very careful to not let it out too much during the steep parts in the beginning otherwise you'll ruin your day early. If it's the course from last year with the detour through no man's land and the series of hills around 16-20 then I'd skip it and run Phoenix Marathon or IMS instead. IMS is a bit lonely but that's a very fast course. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is the Tucson Marathon fast? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tucson Marathon Input

Started by bluetractor
Views: 1668 Posts: 10

2012-12-06 2:28 PM thebigb

How brutal is the Tucson Marathon

Started by morey000
Views: 3433 Posts: 4

2010-09-16 1:26 PM morey000

Holualoa Tucson Marathon Pages: 1 2

Started by BeCivil
Views: 4348 Posts: 40

2008-12-14 1:57 PM dmillis1

El Tour de Tucson 2006

Started by oldpueblotriguy
Views: 953 Posts: 3

2006-10-17 8:39 PM Focker out!

New to Tri - in Tucson

Started by mikeasu
Views: 919 Posts: 2

2006-08-04 10:24 AM kevindaz
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : April 19, 2011
author : Total Immersion
Terry Laughlin will cover the elements of the "speed problem" in swimming, why the traditional means of swimming faster seldom work and why an often-ignored approach is virtually foolproof.
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : July 14, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
I can swim long with ease and have decent endurance, but I have a race coming up and I don't want to be last anymore. Help?
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : July 5, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I don't really strength train (because I never have and don't really know much about it) and feel like my lack of upper body strength is the reason why I'm not getting faster.
date : July 4, 2005
author : KenMierke
Despite what most runners and their coaches believe, technique plays an enormous role in sustained fast running.

date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.