General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A schweddy question... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-23 11:42 AM

User image

, New York
Subject: A schweddy question...
I decided to calculate my "sweat rate" this morning. Wow, was I surprised by the results; 40 ounces/hour was way more than I was expecting to lose. I started at 160.8, finished at 159 even. I used this site to cheat on the math > http://www.triharder.com/THM_SwRate.aspx. This was from a 5 mile run (which is my normal morning distance) that lasted about 42 minutes. (I'm no speed demon but the run did have about 260' elevation gain.) It was about 75f and moderately humid out.

Up to this point I have not worried about bringing hydration unless the run was over 6 miles or longer than one hour. 45 minutes before a run such as this I drink a class of water, follow it with some coffee and nibble on what ever I'm packing for lunch.

I should also say this was a miserable run for me... I have had not trained in almost a week and had eaten poorly (basically no dinner) the night before. I'm thinking this lack of fuel was the main culprit behind my misery but after the surprising volume that poured out of me I just don't know...

Thoughts?

2014-07-23 2:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
Subject: RE: A schweddy question...

I regularly weigh myself before/after to calibrate how much l should be drinking / eating.  I try not to drop too far, it's an indication I wasn't fueling enough.

Using http://www.triharder.com/THM_SwRate.aspx I calculated:

• This morning's half hour swim: 16 oz/hour
  • A 45 mile bike ride outside with hills: 32 oz/hour
  • A 45 minute run on my treadmill inside the 75f exercise room (which gets hotter and hotter as I work out): 52 oz/hour
  • A 10 mile run in 85 degree unusually humid weather: 71 oz/hour

From that I'm going to guess that if I did a five mile run in 75 degree New York humidity that 40 oz/hour would be about right, maybe a bit higher.

Outside I don't usually bring liquids along on anything shorter than five miles unless it's 75f or warmer.  Then I'll either have a half bottle immediately before and half bottle after. Inside I always have a bottle ready. 

I've ran Central Park multiple times in the spring, summer, and fall and if it's over 80f I will always bring liquids with me, usually bought from the vendor at Columbia Circle. I'm not used to NY humidity.

Edited by brucemorgan 2014-07-23 2:38 PM
2014-07-23 3:23 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: A schweddy question...

If I can ask a related question...How quickly does the body absorb fluid?  I know that it takes about 15 minutes for the body to begin processing nutrition but I've wondered if hydration is instant or if it takes some time for the body to replenish fluid deficits.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A schweddy question... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

1 swim question, 1 bike question

Started by titeloops
Views: 1266 Posts: 7

2010-05-05 5:53 AM titeloops

It's time I ask some questions.. mostly bike questions.....

Started by cathyd
Views: 1145 Posts: 13

2007-04-13 8:53 PM Machiavelo

Quick bike question and Triathlon Question

Started by nuorder
Views: 877 Posts: 6

2006-08-25 6:10 PM MCH13

Swim question and a nutritional question.

Started by CPerkins
Views: 873 Posts: 3

2006-08-04 10:44 AM MLJ

Swimming question - an actual triathlon question

Started by mnewton
Views: 1100 Posts: 8

2005-06-17 2:54 PM Gwendal
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 5, 2010
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 4
The grand pull to Kona is both a product of our sport's mythology, marketing, and the intangible desires that each create.

date : December 19, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
My problem is I can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? I need to get from 40 to 750 meters in 6 months.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?

date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.
date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.

date : September 3, 2005
author : Michael Silva
Without paying a personal trainer or a PT on a regular basis, is there a regimen of exercises I can do to strengthen all around?
date : May 3, 2005
author : AMSSM
During training and endurance events, athletes should be careful not to ingest more fluids than necessary.

date : April 3, 2005
comments : 1
Mark Allen, six time Ironman Champion, answers the most common questions beginners have in getting into triathlons.