General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMMD And Making It Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-23 1:25 PM

User image

Philadelphia
Subject: IMMD And Making It
I would really like to register for IMMD, but I have not yet registered because I'm not sure if I can make the distance. I've been training for about a month, because my spring was taken up by training for a really long run (+20 hours). I think I need to make the call on IMMD registration pretty soon. It would be my 4th triathlon (two Olympic, one HIM last year).

I'm swimming 3x per week at about 2,500-3,000m each time, biking 4x per week (3x on trainer at 1-1.5 hrs each, 1x on road 3-4 hours), and running twice a week (6-12 miles per run and totally relying on marathon/ultra history here). I am lacking on the bike (Trainer Road FTP is 135 but up from 95 three weeks ago), but I am really determined to get better. That being said I average about 14 mph on a good day and two centuries last year took me 8 hrs and 6.5 hrs (second one wsa in a pace line).

It's obviously a significant cost to pull the trigger (race, hotels, etc) but is something I'd really like to do once in my life. That being said, I'd rather save $1,000 than DNF. I think about this every day, and don't want to ditch IMMD for the local HIM if there is a chance to finish a full. Anyway, I just thought I'd type this out to see if it pushed me in either direction, maybe I'll feel differently if I have a good bike session tonight!

2014-07-23 4:11 PM
in reply to: niceguy542006

User image

, North Carolina
Subject: RE: IMMD And Making It
Why does it have to be this ironman?

There are many many ironman races you can do. Since you dedicated so much time to the running race in the spring wouldn't another HIM(which is an accomplishment in it's self) be alright this year? Then you can dedicate your time afterward for a full ironman in the spring or summer?

Do you have any outside motivators? Like a few buddies going? Told your girl you were doing it? Those can be seemingly small to us but a huge deal to you.
2014-07-23 4:13 PM

Downingtown , Pennsylvania
Did you already get the tattoo?
2014-07-23 4:27 PM

Nobody ever feels fully prepared for their first IM, so those feelings are normal. Based on what you said you were doing for training, you're in pretty good shape for an IM distance race. That said, any IM is a long day out. You won't break any land speed records on the bike leg or run leg (and none of us do), and you'll have to pace yourself esp on the bike, but I think you have a good chance of finishing based on what you said you've been doing. And if you continue your training (and increase it esp on the bike), you should be in much better shape for a late Sept race.

As for the $$ factor, can't help you there.

good luck!
2014-07-24 7:18 AM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

User image

Philadelphia
Thanks for your responses, I appreciate them! As far as why I'd be selecting this Ironman, it's sort of opportunistic - it's within driving distance, I have the time to train 10-12 hrs/wk for the next few months because I'm between jobs, and this time next year we could have our first kid on the way. I'm planning on pulling back on the tris/ultras a bit if that's the case, I think raising a child will be its own test of endurance!

Triathlons involve a lot more than running does, and I am only now feeling like I'm getting my arms around it all - regular training schedule, transition practice, nutrition, equipment, etc. Now I'm trying to dial it in a bit. If I can get through a 50 mile bike ride and a 12 mile run on Saturday, hopefully in about 6 hours, I'd be fairly happy. I do love the hard work though, and being out on a course for 16 hours would be a wonderful and invigorating adventure.

Thanks for the advice!

2014-07-24 7:20 AM

User image

Originally posted by niceguy542006

Thanks for your responses, I appreciate them! As far as why I'd be selecting this Ironman, it's sort of opportunistic - it's within driving distance, I have the time to train 10-12 hrs/wk for the next few months because I'm between jobs, and this time next year we could have our first kid on the way. I'm planning on pulling back on the tris/ultras a bit if that's the case, I think raising a child will be its own test of endurance!

Triathlons involve a lot more than running does, and I am only now feeling like I'm getting my arms around it all - regular training schedule, transition practice, nutrition, equipment, etc. Now I'm trying to dial it in a bit. If I can get through a 50 mile bike ride and a 12 mile run on Saturday, hopefully in about 6 hours, I'd be fairly happy. I do love the hard work though, and being out on a course for 16 hours would be a wonderful and invigorating adventure.

Thanks for the advice!

IMMD is 60ish days out (because my IM is the week after and we are 67 days out) - with a 3 week taper - I'd be concerned if your longest ride to do is only 3-4 hours, I think you would need to get some serious bike time - good thing (if you look at it that way) - MD will be fairly flat, so you wouldn't need to do much hill training, but the swim could be tough based on some reports from the previous Chesapeakeman Race Reports

2014-07-24 9:26 AM
in reply to: #5029595

User image

Champion
MA
50 mile bike followed by 12 mile run is not a good idea for most folks for training for IM. Better to ride 70 to 80 miles and run 45 minutes to test how your bike pacing and nutrtion worked for you based on how you feel on the run.

If you want to do Immd, ride more build up long ride quickly and do a mid length ride each week as well. Get so you are doing 6 to 7 hour ride plus a 4 hour ride each week. If you can ride 50 miles and your bike fits you should be able to ride 70 to 80 without to much trouble. I'd push bike volume up quickly now to get more weeks in at normal IM bike training volume before tapering plus I suspect you can make solid speed gains if you recover well.

Also run more often like 4 times a week even if t two runs are 3 to 5 miles.

Sounds like you are sort of winging a plan. Look at plans back into one that is bike heavy and see how it goes.

Course is flat and fast. Work now smart and see how it goes. I'd do a week or two of more biking and see how you feel then pull the trigger. Hotel rooms are hard to get for that race.
2014-07-24 2:09 PM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Philadelphia
Thanks, yes more bike time is what I'm aiming for. And I'm following one of the plans from BT. I will likely cut the taper time down some so I have an extra week to train (the wisdom of this is certainly up for debate). And oh yeah, I've read all about the Choptank's roughness as well as the sea nettles, I'm planning on wearing a long suit and hoping its wetsuit legal!

The hotel situation is definitely an issue. In prior years Chesapeakeman has had a camping option, which, unless you want to stay in St. Michaels, could be the only option this year. Everything near the race seems to be sold out, so it will definitely be an adventure.

2014-07-24 2:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by niceguy542006 Thanks, yes more bike time is what I'm aiming for. And I'm following one of the plans from BT. I will likely cut the taper time down some so I have an extra week to train (the wisdom of this is certainly up for debate). And oh yeah, I've read all about the Choptank's roughness as well as the sea nettles, I'm planning on wearing a long suit and hoping its wetsuit legal! The hotel situation is definitely an issue. In prior years Chesapeakeman has had a camping option, which, unless you want to stay in St. Michaels, could be the only option this year. Everything near the race seems to be sold out, so it will definitely be an adventure.

I heard through the local rumblings that they might bring in a cruise ship for extra hotel space

2014-07-24 2:34 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I found that tapering different times for different sports. Running is the longest, bike is middle, and swim the shortest.  First year I tapered for 3 weeks as I was so tired and felt I lost fitness. Next I tapered 10 days. Last two IMs I tapered various times but none more than 2.5 weeks and it worked well. Bike was 7-10 days and swim was 4-5 days.

The cruise ship idea would be pretty neat for extra housing.

Good luck and enjoy the journey!

2014-07-24 3:11 PM

User image

Elite
I say go for it. I did Chessie after having a great base but had to take July off of running and had to limit my cycling due to back issues. I managed 5 centuries in August and the first weekend of Sept, did one 80 miler and 40 mile the week prior. The run I only did an 8 miler, 10 miler, 12 miler, and one 15. You've got a base, get rides up to 7 hours, flat and windy-- it's tiring to spin constantly in 25 mph headwinds.

2014-07-30 11:56 AM
in reply to: turtlegirl

User image

Philadelphia
Thanks for the advice everyone. Yes a cruise ship would be a pretty interesting experience, but short of that, I might end up camping, as that is the only option left unless you want to stay a few towns away.

I'm riding in at least two century rides in the next 6 weeks, and now may have to work around taking the family on a vacation in late August. It's going to be a busy few weeks.

These are my July totals. Swimming remains fairly consistent a 3x/week, ~3,000 meters per swim. Bike is 4x/week (1 hr tempo ride, 2 hour mid week distance ride, 4+ hour long ride outside, 1hr recovery ride), and running is my strong suit (6 marathons/ultras so far this year). I hate rushing it like this but time is short and I need to get on it.

Swim: 10h 35m - 27300 Yd
Bike: 19h 30m - 258 Mi
Run: 9h 25m - 54 Mi
2014-07-30 4:50 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Your swim looks good, might get some long sessions in at 4500 yards or so just to get used to pacing for that distance. 

Sounds like you have the run in the bag, plenty of experience there. Just don't freak out when your pace is all screwed up in an IM. The run is based a lot on your bike fitness which brings me to the last sport.

Your bike is a bit on the scary side. 8 hours is a long time for a century unless it was very hilly and windy. My centuries before my IM were in the 6-6.5 hr range and I am not a great cyclist. 

Sounds like the main hurdle is going to be making the bike cutoff times. With your fitness background (marathons, ultras) it sounds like it is very doable for you to translate some of that fitness to the bike. 

Ideally I would say give it a year, but like you said the time commitment is serious, if you are planning on a kid next year then this sounds like a much better time for an IM. 

Work hard on that bike, get some long OPEN WATER swimming in, then let your experience on the run take you home. Go for it!

ETA: I don't know anything about the race you are looking at, but it might be a good idea to look at what the weather tends to do at that race. If you are already close to cutoff times, the weather can push you over to the other side very easily. Would suck to spend all that money on a race then get cutoff on the bike. For example the bike times at IMCDA this year were an average of 35 minutes slower than last year due to wind, the swim was way off too. Just something to think about.

Edited by Aarondb4 2014-07-30 4:55 PM
2014-07-31 7:32 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Your bike looks scary! Do you ride with anyone else?

I would suggest you get into some C level group rides on the weekends, if you can't find any in Phila they have rides out of West Chester all the time. Look up West Chester Cycling club (pa) and they have all their rides posted. weekend rides are posted by Thursday night.
When you looking at the levels remember that these rides are in the hills, a flat 50 mile ride will have 3000 ft of climbing.
2014-07-31 3:43 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by KathyG

50 mile bike followed by 12 mile run is not a good idea for most folks for training for IM. Better to ride 70 to 80 miles and run 45 minutes to test how your bike pacing and nutrtion worked for you based on how you feel on the run.

If you want to do Immd, ride more build up long ride quickly and do a mid length ride each week as well. Get so you are doing 6 to 7 hour ride plus a 4 hour ride each week. If you can ride 50 miles and your bike fits you should be able to ride 70 to 80 without to much trouble. I'd push bike volume up quickly now to get more weeks in at normal IM bike training volume before tapering plus I suspect you can make solid speed gains if you recover well.

Also run more often like 4 times a week even if t two runs are 3 to 5 miles.

Sounds like you are sort of winging a plan. Look at plans back into one that is bike heavy and see how it goes.

Course is flat and fast. Work now smart and see how it goes. I'd do a week or two of more biking and see how you feel then pull the trigger. Hotel rooms are hard to get for that race.

Coach kathy has great advice!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMMD And Making It Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Who makes the best running Shoes? Pages: 1 2

Started by David_Zen
Views: 1692 Posts: 30

2004-06-21 6:00 PM rookie44

Well I made it!!

Started by royj
Views: 635 Posts: 3

2004-05-30 11:43 PM Flyboy

Training makes me hungry all the time now!

Started by PhoenixRises
Views: 861 Posts: 4

2004-05-31 4:18 PM CLLinIA

What a difference a day makes.

Started by Canadian_newfie
Views: 939 Posts: 7

2004-04-08 10:12 PM teechur

mistakes made so far

Started by OLDMAN
Views: 1337 Posts: 13

2003-09-19 1:52 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : November 16, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussions on a good stroke count, getting faster on the swim, swim drills to get faster, recommended swim drill time and 'my wetsuit is making me slow'.
date : May 5, 2009
author : FitWerx
Having trouble shifting? Is your chain not going to the next gear properly? Is it making too much noise? This video will go through some adjustments to your front and rear derailleurs.

date : November 28, 2007
author : mrakes1
Discussions on making better food choices, under or over-fueling, the 'write everything down' theory, sample meal template and cottage cheese substitutes.
date : March 20, 2007
author : Ontherun
comments : 1
Making goals achievable is an important part of reaching our end goal. Also, having a bar that is set high is important, so we are always striving for something better.

date : September 11, 2004
author : Total Immersion
How to improve continuously…no matter how long you swim.
date : September 11, 2004
author : Total Immersion
The essentials of stroke count with respect to freestyle swimming.