General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Just starting to run, my first Tri in 6-9 weeks. Not sure how to structure things. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-23 7:15 PM

Subject: Just starting to run, my first Tri in 6-9 weeks. Not sure how to structure things.
tl;dr: Tri in 6 weeks(Sep 6), haven't been running at all. How should I structure runs into my routine so I know I can finish comfortably? Run leg of the race is only 2.7 miles. I might do a different race in 9 weeks that's a full 5k.

I'm not worried about the swim(though I probably won't admit my time...). I ride my bike 200-300 miles a week, so that isn't an issue at all. As far as transitions, I ride to the pool&back 2-3x a week. I also commute to work, a minimum of 16 miles(I often extend it to 25). Stop at the gym across the street from my job and lift 3x a week before showering and heading to work.

You'll note there isn't any running in there. While I'm down to 210ish, from 270+ at the beginning of the year-my HS cross country weight was 165, and I'd been planning on not running until I weighed 190, at most for the sake of injury prevention. I have been squatting and deadlifting on my lifting days, so in theory my connective tissue and bones should be strong enough to handle the abuse of running(which is a big part of why I've been lifting...).

So how should I introduce running? Logistically, it'll almost have to be paired with a commuting bike ride. Commute is 16 miles, if I don't extend it to 25 for the hell of it. Most of it is on a MUP, so I can always chain the bike and run anytime I like, really.

What I'm thinking of is:
A) either running at a track by work, before I start cycling home or when I get to work.
B) run at a track in the middle of my commute
C) run 1.3 miles around a pond at the end of my commute/beginning of my commute. If done at the beginning, I would be nicely warmed up by the time I got there, it's a ten minute bike ride away.

Doing the run at the end of the day has the advantage of avoiding South Texas heat.

I'll be running 5 days a week(ideally).
Week 1: 7.5 miles (1.5/run)
Week 2: 10 miles (2/run)
Week 3: 17.5 miles (3.5/un). Two days a week, park the bike and do some hill repeats on the way to work.
Week 4: 20-22.5 miles (4.5-5/run) Three days a week, park the bike and do some fast hill repeats on the way to work.
Week 5: 27.5 miles (5.5/run-twice race distance) Three days a week, park the bike and do some hill repeats on the way to work. Do intervals those same three days.
Week 6: 15 miles comfortable, 3x800 track repeats three times, with hill runs the same day during the commute to work.
This leaves me with three days to the race. Rest on day one, day two, maybe bike 5m, swim a few hundred meters, run a mile or two. Day three rest, race day: Kick .

I for sure want to be doing 3 miles/day for 15/week by week 5. That'll put me in a great place as far as not worrying about completion.

Thoughts?

2014-07-23 7:46 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Just starting to run, my first Tri in 6-9 weeks. Not sure how to structure things.
Good news is you have plenty of swimming and cycling fitness, and you could walk the end of the triathlon and still finish reasonably well. But in my opinion you need to be a bit more gentle with your introduction to running.

Your plan has a very steep buildup, and you are setting yourself up for an overuse injury. Overuse injuries are common in running because people don't give their muscles, joints, connective tissues, and bones enough time to adapt. Your steep buildup just screams of overuse. Weights and squats will help, but it's not specific enough to make you immune to running injuries.

You say you want to do 3 miles 5x/week by week 5, but you have more than that already in your 3rd week. You don't even need to even be doing that much before your triathlon-- three times per week of 2-4 miles each . And no hill sprints or speed work at the track-- another good way to get injured.

Running every other day or so is plenty, and I recommend building up with a run/walk program-- something like Couch to 5K ( http://www.coolrunning.com/cgi-bin/moxiebin/bm_tools.cgi?print=181;... ). No, you're not starting on the couch so you might be able to do a bit more, but err on the side of caution. People with high levels of fitness from other sports are more likely to overdo it with running.

Also, training for 2.7 miles at the end of tri is not significantly different than 3.1 miles, or the full 5K.

Edited by jennifer_runs 2014-07-23 7:52 PM
2014-07-23 10:12 PM
in reply to: #5029733

User image

Franklin, TN
Subject: RE: Just starting to run, my first Tri in 6-9 weeks. Not sure how to structure things.
What Jennifer says. You're run build is too quick. You're going to hurt yourself. If I was just starting out, I would substitute the 3x lifting with some run/walk on the treadmill at the gym...keep the pace easy. No speed work until you are up to 20-25 miles a week running...your speed will naturally get faster as your endurance improves. I would adjust my short term goal to being able to run 5k pretty easily...that will get you through you first race.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Just starting to run, my first Tri in 6-9 weeks. Not sure how to structure things. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First cool ride Not sure what to wear.

Started by davidschmaus
Views: 1935 Posts: 19

2010-09-06 11:23 AM Av8rTx

First Half and not sure about Training plan

Started by Mickey4
Views: 1277 Posts: 8

2010-06-17 12:27 PM KSH

First tri bike...not sure what to get

Started by simpleman0623
Views: 1543 Posts: 16

2009-06-19 2:15 PM jhouse4

Structuring a five day running week

Started by dmorgan_jazz9
Views: 835 Posts: 9

2007-05-15 1:34 PM dmorgan_jazz9

Not sure where to start!

Started by traceyco66
Views: 739 Posts: 6

2005-03-12 12:40 AM traceyco66
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 7, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 7
Do you see the bladder as half-full or half-empty? In this instance, it really doesn't matter how you look at it... you'd just better go.

date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.