General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Love Hate with the Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-07-23 9:16 PM

User image

Subject: Love Hate with the Bike
To make things simple, I love to ride the bike but getting to that point I hate. Hate the time it takes and the amount of time needed and of course feel a bit guilty leaving the family for such a stretch of time.

First, I don't bike at my house, I just have yet to find any type of course that is both safe and gets me the miles I want.

So, to get ready to go ride its just a process, gather all my equipment, get the water/food needed, get everything packed into the truck, drive 20-25 min away. Unload everything, do the actual workout, pack everything back up, drive 20-25 min home, unpack and put everything away.

Seriously, I am looking for tricks, tips, anything to ease the time crunch. I love to bike and want to make sure I get all my training days in but I struggle getting the full amount of miles each week because of the time factor

2014-07-23 9:37 PM
in reply to: ECS49

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Love Hate with the Bike

It seems to me the easiest fix is to get a trainer.  I have one safe road to ride on and that's it.  After my first year in triathlon I picked up a KK trainer and love it. I would say I do 95% of my training rides on my trainer.  It's prepared me for every distance up to two HIMs.  Plus, like you, I don't like to be away from my family on long rides.  I don't mind getting up early, getting a couple of hours in on the trainer before my family is even awake.  If money is an issue, look for a used one.  Mine is set up in my workout room. One tip, if you do go the trainer route, also get a good fan--you heat up pretty quick!

2014-07-23 9:37 PM

User image

Bronze member

Do you have a bike trainer? I know it is not exciting but it would cut back on the time factor driving to and from and the time it takes gathering gear, together. You will still be at home so no guilt about leaving the family. My kids like to play in the basement while I'm on the trainer. Or I'll put the trainer out on the patio and ride while they play outside.

Besides my bikes the trainer is one of my all time best fitness purchases and totally worth every penny spent.

2014-07-23 9:39 PM
in reply to: ingleshteechur

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by ingleshteechur

It seems to me the easiest fix is to get a trainer.  I have one safe road to ride on and that's it.  After my first year in triathlon I picked up a KK trainer and love it. I would say I do 95% of my training rides on my trainer.  It's prepared me for every distance up to two HIMs.  Plus, like you, I don't like to be away from my family on long rides.  I don't mind getting up early, getting a couple of hours in on the trainer before my family is even awake.  If money is an issue, look for a used one.  Mine is set up in my workout room. One tip, if you do go the trainer route, also get a good fan--you heat up pretty quick!

We think a like!!

2014-07-23 9:58 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

I do have a bike trainer.........and if worse comes to worse I will ride it (although I find it very uncomfortable compared to riding on the roads). I just like being outdoors enjoying a nice challenging ride.

I guess as far as the time goes though I might have to start leaning that direction for more of my miles
2014-07-23 9:59 PM
in reply to: #5029770

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
Yeah +1 for the Kurt Kinetic trainer. I just bought mine with my work bonus and it was a great investment. I am able to ride at home whenever is conveinient for me whether it be in the morning or late at night. It's also great for hot, buggy, winter, and late night riding. I would highly recommend investing in a trainer to make your biking situation more manageable.

I'm kind of I the same boat with you in my swimming but I always feel accomplished after my swims and try to use that to lift my spirits for 25 min walk to my car. I commute 2 hrs every day to work (I swim on campus and it puts me home quite late to the wife) so I understand your frustration. Good luck and check out those trainers, it sucks riding in one place but boy is it convenient!

2014-07-23 10:00 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by ECS49 I just like being outdoors enjoying a nice challenging ride.

i can make any indoor ride just as challenging as any of the climbs around me. 

2014-07-23 10:10 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not sure what distances you race or how long your workouts are, but if time is a real issue, I'd use the trainer for most rides (during the workweek, probably), and put some intensity into most of those rides so you're less bored. Something like Jorge's off-season program on this site, TrainerRoad, Sufferfest videos, or the bike portion of a structured program for whatever distance you're preparing for. Videos and music help make it bearable as well. I like to watch "virtual cycling" videos of rides in the Alps (Google Bob Ryskamp--he makes some great ones). I generally try to keep my trainer rides in the 45-90 minute range (with the occasional 2-hour ride during rainy season), and almost all are interval workouts rather than steady rides. Save the outdoor ride as a once a week "treat" for the longer rides. I probably do 90% of my bike training in Saigon on the trainer. Even when at home in Oregon, I've been doing shorter, more intense stuff on the trainer. It's just easier logistically, and I don't have to make the choice (like you) of driving about 30 minutes to a dedicated bike trail where I rarely need to stop for pedestrians or traffic, or trying to do a hard workout when I have to deal with those.

2014-07-23 10:11 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Elite

Originally posted by trigal38

Originally posted by ingleshteechur

We think a like!!

Ha!  My thoughts exactly!

2014-07-24 7:17 AM

User image

what about pre-prepping all your stuff - have food/water ready to go so you just have to grab it - bag of cycling gear sitting by the door - or get one of those locking containers for your truck and put your stuff in it - then just need to put your bike in and go

why do you have to drive 20 min? is there anything closer by - just riding on the roads?
2014-07-24 7:20 AM
in reply to: Clempson

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Clempson

Originally posted by ECS49 I just like being outdoors enjoying a nice challenging ride.

i can make any indoor ride just as challenging as any of the climbs around me. 

Same here. Understand wanting to get outdoors, but the challenging part can totally be done on a trainer too.

2014-07-24 7:24 AM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

I'm kind of in the same boat (hahaha) (you'll get it in a minute) because I spend a lot of the summer at our cottage which you can only get to by water. That means that I have to take the boat to a lodge down the lake and start biking from there. I have a water bottle sitting on the bike already and all my stuff together in the back seat of the car so that it's always ready to go and then just enjoy the trip.
2014-07-24 9:47 AM

It's ironic, but I got into this sport to enjoy the outdoors more.

After starting off training all-outdoors, I'm now almost all-indoors mainly due to lack of time and quality of training. Go figure.

Bike logistics are def a pain when it involves a 20+ min drive to rideable areas. Biking indoors has got its own set of issues (boredom, motivation) though. Find a balance and make it work.

2014-07-24 10:20 AM
in reply to: yazmaster

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by yazmaster

It's ironic, but I got into this sport to enjoy the outdoors more.

After starting off training all-outdoors, I'm now almost all-indoors mainly due to lack of time and quality of training. Go figure.

Bike logistics are def a pain when it involves a 20+ min drive to rideable areas. Biking indoors has got its own set of issues (boredom, motivation) though. Find a balance and make it work.

I ride indoors a lot now too, but what it's taking the place of are the more difficult times to ride outside. Like during the week or bad weather. So I'm actually enjoying the outdoor rides more as they're under better conditions. Also, I'm actually riding a lot more overall now so the actual outdoor riding may not have dropped off all that much. The percent of my riding being outdoors has gone down. With the improved ability now I have more options on what I can do outside. Can more easily take on longer and more difficult rides so the riding I do get outside is even more fun!

2014-07-24 10:28 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

No idea where you live or the biking situation near you, but there may be alternatives to driving 25 minutes to find a place to ride. I assume traffic is your main concern?

My advise would be to find an LBS or cycling group that hosts group rides in your area. Cycling in a group can make riding on busier roads a lot safer. I as well sometimes feel vulnerable when out on some roads by myself. However in a group of 10-20 people it is not much of an issue. Before I get jumped on... yes, we are respectful of drivers and ride single file most of the time, we are just much more noticeable to distracted drivers and they use more caution when passing us.

Might be worth a look at group riding. Group riding also provides a nice challenge provided there are riders who are better than you in the group. 

2014-07-24 10:29 AM

User image

Yaz, exactly what I was thinking. I love the outdoors, I love the challenge (and by challenge I mean the turns, the sights, ect ect) of riding outside. However, I think to not be selfish I prob need to start to embrace instead of hate the bike trainer.

Is it weird that when riding outside my bike feels great (I've had it fitted) but on the trainer I am uncomfortable I would say 70% of the time!

2014-07-24 10:49 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

^^ one of the many reasons I hate the trainer. Boring, soul sucking, and uncomfortable.

If you are going to switch to indoor you may want to try rollers instead of a trainer. More of a challenge, closer to road feel and requires some brain engagement. Rollers and a sufferfest dvd might make it bearable. 

2014-07-24 11:34 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Is it possible to ride to safer area to ride? Have you searched for routes that may work via Strava and other route sites?

Driving to ride makes riding even more of a time suck.

Riding the trainer takes some mental toughness and time to develop the skill. Also any minor issues with bike fit come out since you more static position and have no side to side movement that we have when we ride outside. To me riding on trainer is almost like a different sport than riding outside.

2014-07-24 11:49 AM
in reply to: KathyG

, Wisconsin
Years ago when the kids were young, working 2 jobs etc., I found the most efficient use of my time was using the trainer, at least during the week. I either watched TV (Tour de France was very motivating), or listened to headphones. I used the TV and the music as my "rewards" for being on the trainer vs. outside where I really wanted to be. As others have mentioned, I could put in time early morning or later in the evening and not loss much family time.
2014-07-24 3:31 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Originally posted by Aarondb4

No idea where you live or the biking situation near you, but there may be alternatives to driving 25 minutes to find a place to ride. I assume traffic is your main concern?

My advise would be to find an LBS or cycling group that hosts group rides in your area. Cycling in a group can make riding on busier roads a lot safer. I as well sometimes feel vulnerable when out on some roads by myself. However in a group of 10-20 people it is not much of an issue. Before I get jumped on... yes, we are respectful of drivers and ride single file most of the time, we are just much more noticeable to distracted drivers and they use more caution when passing us.

Might be worth a look at group riding. Group riding also provides a nice challenge provided there are riders who are better than you in the group. 

The bike shop group ride is also about 25 min out, I generally alternate between my park ride and the group ride.

I have not checked out Strava for routes, maybe I should. Just messing around with map my ride I built myself a little 15m route that doesn't seem like it would be too crazy, of course depending on time of day. Ill try it soon and if it goes ok maybe just do 2-3 laps.

My biggest problem with the bike trainer is I always feel like the bike is tilted down (even with the front wheels in the wheel holder), so much that I actually broke out the level to check, but it was totally level. No idea why but my hands and arms are always hurting.
2014-07-24 4:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
I used to have this problem last year: 30min to get anywhere ridable, and forgetting something sucks so it would take me forever to get all my stuff and double check, then I'd get distracted and had to start over.

My solution was to ride less frequently but do longer rides. Also, get your gear ready the day before, then you just have to pick it up and go, no distractions before you're out the door.

2014-07-24 5:08 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by ECS49

Yaz, exactly what I was thinking. I love the outdoors, I love the challenge (and by challenge I mean the turns, the sights, ect ect) of riding outside. However, I think to not be selfish I prob need to start to embrace instead of hate the bike trainer.

Is it weird that when riding outside my bike feels great (I've had it fitted) but on the trainer I am uncomfortable I would say 70% of the time!

The reason why stationary biking (on a trainer, in spin class etc) is more uncomfortable is that we are pretty static, other than our legs moving. When outside you are constantly adjusting for terrain, body position, in/out of aerobars/drops, in/out of pedals for stop lights, shifting to go up hill/downhill, standing/shifting/sitting (basically never in one place for too long). I always tell my students that the toughest thing when they start out is sitting in the seat, so move around frequently and mimic what you would do outside.
Plus when you are outside you are distracted by everything else and not focusing on how bored/sore/uncomfortable you are.

To alleviate boredom on the trainer, I found a few things were KEY to making my trainer rides enjoyable, and now I actually look forward to them:

1) Netflix/Hulu plus/Amazon Prime - I save all my favorite shows for the weekend when I ride so I have something to look forward to. Plus if watching HULU, commercial breaks are great times to do hard intervals since you aren't concentrating on what you are watching.

2) A plan - I go into each trainer workout with a specific set of how long I'm going to ride, what type of intervals I will be doing and how often. A favorite one of mine is:
good warm up 15-20 min
10 min hard
2 min easy
9 min hard
2 min easy
8 min hard
2 min easy...
etc etc...down to 1:1, then cool down. You can work your way back up if you want, or do 2 sets of each time or start with less time working hard...lots of options. That way you aren't focusing on a 2 hour ride, but just that 10 min interval and then you get to rest. Helps to break it up! I could never do a trainer session where I said "I'm going to ride for 2.5 hours" - I wouldn't last 45 min.

3) If you can, maybe invest in some sufferfest videos/trainer road or other videos that guide you to the specific workout. That way the thinking is done for you and you just have to do the work.

4) if you can, invest in either HR or Power...makes is SO much better to ride when you get feedback and can gauge your workout intensity. Keeps you honest, and occupied. My classes that I teach with Power go by SO much quicker than the ones where we don't have any feedback.

This is what works for me and I've been riding my trainer for a couple months now. Had a bad crash and staying off the roads for a while. Plus its nice to be home with my family and only have to put in 2 hours vs. 3-4. And I can make my 9 year old do water bottle runs for me when I run out :-)!
2014-07-24 8:32 PM
in reply to: #5029791

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
Yeah I forgot to mention that Netflix is a must for my trainer rides! It's nice to look forward to watching a show and getting a workout done. I wish I had kids lol I dropped my water bottle during my last ride and my cats just sniffed it and left (I'm to stubborn to stop my ride and pick it up). :-p
2014-07-24 9:53 PM
in reply to: ChemNerd23

User image

Glad to hear that so many people rely on the trainer for much of their riding. When I go up in distance next year I will buy a trainer to do a lot of my rides. I don't like riding in traffic and other than weekends would have a hard time getting out for decent workouts.

I'm going to get a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine I think.
2014-07-24 9:58 PM
in reply to: runspingirl

User image

Originally posted by runspingirl

Originally posted by ECS49

The reason why stationary biking (on a trainer, in spin class etc) is more uncomfortable is that we are pretty static, other than our legs moving. When outside you are constantly adjusting for terrain, body position, in/out of aerobars/drops, in/out of pedals for stop lights, shifting to go up hill/downhill, standing/shifting/sitting (basically never in one place for too long). I always tell my students that the toughest thing when they start out is sitting in the seat, so move around frequently and mimic what you would do outside.
Plus when you are outside you are distracted by everything else and not focusing on how bored/sore/uncomfortable you are.

To alleviate boredom on the trainer, I found a few things were KEY to making my trainer rides enjoyable, and now I actually look forward to them:

1) Netflix/Hulu plus/Amazon Prime - I save all my favorite shows for the weekend when I ride so I have something to look forward to. Plus if watching HULU, commercial breaks are great times to do hard intervals since you aren't concentrating on what you are watching.

2) A plan - I go into each trainer workout with a specific set of how long I'm going to ride, what type of intervals I will be doing and how often. A favorite one of mine is:
good warm up 15-20 min
10 min hard
2 min easy
9 min hard
2 min easy
8 min hard
2 min easy...
etc etc...down to 1:1, then cool down. You can work your way back up if you want, or do 2 sets of each time or start with less time working hard...lots of options. That way you aren't focusing on a 2 hour ride, but just that 10 min interval and then you get to rest. Helps to break it up! I could never do a trainer session where I said "I'm going to ride for 2.5 hours" - I wouldn't last 45 min.

3) If you can, maybe invest in some sufferfest videos/trainer road or other videos that guide you to the specific workout. That way the thinking is done for you and you just have to do the work.

4) if you can, invest in either HR or Power...makes is SO much better to ride when you get feedback and can gauge your workout intensity. Keeps you honest, and occupied. My classes that I teach with Power go by SO much quicker than the ones where we don't have any feedback.

This is what works for me and I've been riding my trainer for a couple months now. Had a bad crash and staying off the roads for a while. Plus its nice to be home with my family and only have to put in 2 hours vs. 3-4. And I can make my 9 year old do water bottle runs for me when I run out :-)!

Great advice, thanks
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Love Hate with the Bike Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Why I love/hate BTers Pages: 1 2

Started by Samyg
Views: 2942 Posts: 30

2011-11-04 9:19 PM Shermbelle

Love/Hate Relationship with Swimming Lately

Started by Flying Kiwi
Views: 1015 Posts: 10

2011-04-20 6:58 PM ibndalight

Treadmill Love it or hate it Pages: 1 2 3

Started by pga_mike
Views: 3034 Posts: 59

2009-03-03 3:05 PM Dee Cooper

Wind: A Love-Hate Relationship

Started by rthomas
Views: 1592 Posts: 16

2008-04-13 4:44 PM zipp1

Hate or Love sports Pages: 1 2

Started by Fred D
Views: 2633 Posts: 35

2008-01-24 6:04 AM Jens
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 21, 2012
author : sbkass
comments : 8
I am not suggesting that I have turned into Aquaman or have grown gills or that I am a really great swimmer. I am none of those. But I have learned to love the swim.

date : January 5, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
As a sports dietitian, I spend too many hours helping my clients find peace with their bodies. So what can you do if you are discontent with your body?
date : December 22, 2008
author : ecnefoop
comments : 9
I had been very fit until I turned the legal age for the two demons: drinking and smoking. Unfortunately, from my 18th birthday, my once fit swimmer's body went downhill and wide very fast.

date : March 20, 2007
author : dawnieruns
comments : 2
It's funny, there are so many people who hate even the thought of running, or even of jogging slowly! I can't imagine my life without it.
date : January 7, 2007
author : medic0020
comments : 5
From a Hate-Hate Relationship to a Love-Hate Relationship

date : July 2, 2006
author : Ontherun
comments : 0
Gut check! Striking a balance between your two loves can make and keep the relationship strong.
date : February 28, 2005
author : trithis
comments : 1
Triathletes taking the opportunity to reconginze the support of their family, friends and the love of their sports