General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Carrying bike tools, tubes, CO2 in bike shirt vs. bike bag Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-07-25 9:37 AM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
Subject: RE: Carrying bike tools, tubes, CO2 in bike shirt vs. bike bag

Originally posted by audiojan Do you truly need all that on a ride? Single tube, single Co2 and a single tire lever is pretty much all I bring. Easily fits in the smallest of bags under my saddle. On my road bike, I only have a single can of Hutchinson FastAir (since I ride tubeless, that's really all I need). Cellphone, a couple of gels and an energy bar fits easily in the back pocket. Absolutely no MP3 for obvious reasons.

Figured I'd get at least one...

I think the multi-tool is as critical as any of the other items as things can come loose or need adjusting... Whether it be my bike or others I'm riding with or come upon out on the road...

2014-07-25 10:08 AM
in reply to: TriMike

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by TriMike

Originally posted by audiojan Do you truly need all that on a ride? Single tube, single Co2 and a single tire lever is pretty much all I bring. Easily fits in the smallest of bags under my saddle. On my road bike, I only have a single can of Hutchinson FastAir (since I ride tubeless, that's really all I need). Cellphone, a couple of gels and an energy bar fits easily in the back pocket. Absolutely no MP3 for obvious reasons.

Figured I'd get at least one...

I think the multi-tool is as critical as any of the other items as things can come loose or need adjusting... Whether it be my bike or others I'm riding with or come upon out on the road...

Agreed^^

That is the main reason I have to use a bigger bag rather than the very small under seat bags. I like to have my multi tool with me. Has come in handy on many rides both for my bike and my buddies. Nice to be able to make small adjustments to my position when needed as well. 

2014-07-25 12:21 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

I hate seat bags, aesthetic atrocity. Rides under a couple hours I carry one CO2, one lever and one tube, all rolled up in a ziplock and in my jersey pocket. Longer rides I'll toss in a small patch kit and another CO2. If I need more than that then there's usually always someone on the road or I can always phone a friend. 

2014-07-25 12:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Thanks for the feedback. 

I ended up ordering a sticky pod (thanks strawdog for the tip & link) and am quick optimistic this will be my solution.  It bridges both worlds, no bike bag yet an organized location for all the items I deem necessary to take out on the bike and it fits in standard jersey pockets...

Peace

2014-07-25 1:32 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

I have a saddle bag and I have a can of pit stop duct taped to it.  Quite frankly I don't care how I look to other riders.  I'm on a tri bike anyway so the roadies already hate me.  I'm not buying a road bike to look cool. I have to ride by myself 99.9% of the time. I'm single and I have no one looking for me to come home and no one to call if something happens.  F*** em if they don't like the look,  I have what I need in case of an emergency. Tube, CO2 levers, wrenches and pit stop in/on the bag

2014-07-25 2:46 PM

User image

I use a pretty big saddle bad.  2 tubes, multi tool, 3 CO2, inflator, mini pump, lever, and a spare master link.  I've had a few rides where I've either flattted on two separate instances or simply hit a big pot hole I didn't see and double flatted both tires at the same time.  The weight or the looks don't bother me...I'm out there with the purpose of riding.  If I was easily willing to quit my ride due to a second flat...well...I probably wouldn't ride in the first place.

2014-07-25 3:58 PM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by Socks

I have a saddle bag and I have a can of pit stop duct taped to it.  Quite frankly I don't care how I look to other riders.  I'm on a tri bike anyway so the roadies already hate me.  I'm not buying a road bike to look cool. I have to ride by myself 99.9% of the time. I'm single and I have no one looking for me to come home and no one to call if something happens.  F*** em if they don't like the look,  I have what I need in case of an emergency. Tube, CO2 levers, wrenches and pit stop in/on the bag

You can look cool on a tri bike. But that involves not wearing all that silly compression stuff and the aero helmet when out on training rides. It also means leaving the between the bar hydration at home. I think I look quite good on my tri bike.

Edited by ziggie204 2014-07-25 4:06 PM
2014-07-30 9:42 AM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Regular
Ok, I may show my ignorance, but why is this such a big deal? I have a "bag" that is 6" long, 4 inches wide and 4 inches high. I don't notice it, looks like part of my seat and cant imagine it causes air flow issues. Maybe if you are trying to podium it would matter, but for the vast majority of people, I cant imagine this is a big deal.
2014-07-30 10:01 AM
in reply to: hessma

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Originally posted by hessma

Ok, I may show my ignorance, but why is this such a big deal? I have a "bag" that is 6" long, 4 inches wide and 4 inches high. I don't notice it, looks like part of my seat and cant imagine it causes air flow issues. Maybe if you are trying to podium it would matter, but for the vast majority of people, I cant imagine this is a big deal.

Exactly. It's NOT a big deal.
2014-07-30 10:23 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I carry a tube, 1 Pedros lever, and a CO2 with small adapter in a very small under-seat bag. I do swap it between two bikes, but it's quick.  It fits pretty snugly under the seat.

The rest of the stuff  varies based on ride length - so that goes either in my pockets or in a bento box on the top tube.  But for a training loop from home, all I need is to pump tires and go.

Anyway, my jersey is formfitting/aero and therefore I can't fit in anything extra without it pulling weird

2014-07-30 10:54 AM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Just wanted to add. Be sure and throw in a $1 bill no matter how you carry your stuff. They work great for booting a torn tire enough to get you home. I tore a tire this Spring at a TT night 10 miles from home. One of my riding buddies had a dollar he gave me to boot my tire, worked great to get me home. 

2014-07-30 11:04 AM
in reply to: hessma

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by hessma Ok, I may show my ignorance, but why is this such a big deal? I have a "bag" that is 6" long, 4 inches wide and 4 inches high. I don't notice it, looks like part of my seat and cant imagine it causes air flow issues. Maybe if you are trying to podium it would matter, but for the vast majority of people, I cant imagine this is a big deal.

I don't think anyone has made a big deal about this.  I posted the question to see what others do.  Honestly I think from this forum and cyclists I know personally, a lot of the "division" is along the lines of triathletes and cyclists.  Meaning roadies tend to be more likely to stow their stuff in pockets, triathletes tend to package it up etc...

Obviously generalizing but it's not that far off...

As an update, my sticky pod arrived the other day and worked great...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Carrying bike tools, tubes, CO2 in bike shirt vs. bike bag Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Carrying tools on a tri bike?

Started by odpaul7
Views: 2555 Posts: 18

2012-11-27 5:04 AM odpaul7

Need storage solution for on-bike equipment (tubes, CO2, etc)

Started by Mike_D
Views: 1549 Posts: 13

2011-04-08 2:31 PM Leegoocrap

Top-tube carry bike rack

Started by Rogillio
Views: 838 Posts: 9

2010-09-29 2:10 PM ChrisM

Carrying tube, CO2, etc. on Bike

Started by Gregkl
Views: 4643 Posts: 24

2010-04-06 1:46 PM Gregkl

TT Bike vs Road bike tube shape?

Started by ezfast88
Views: 964 Posts: 5

2008-03-28 1:08 PM trophytaker
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
A Walmart bike, a borrowed road bike or a new carbon fiber bike? You don't need to break the bank for your first triathlon bike.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : March 14, 2010
author : Ontherun
comments : 1
Ontherun reviews the basics of CO2 inflation systems along with a few of his favorite devices and how to use them including the XLAB NanoInflator and the SecondWind Road and MTB CO2 Inflators.

date : January 9, 2010
comments : 0
Does a degree or two difference between two frames(head and/or seat tube) really make that much of a difference when it comes to fit?
date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : August 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Are you traveling to a race and need to ship your bike? This video will demonstrate how to disassemble your bike to be able to pack it properly in a bike case for shipping.
date : January 1, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
comments : 2
We will take a peek into the lowly saddlebag to see what needs to be in there in case of emergency. Much of this may be common sense, some might surprise you, and some are simply just my opinion.

date : December 14, 2004
author : chrisandniki
Learn to perform routine maintenance on your bike. Knowing basic maintenance will make you a better rider. You’ll also come to recognize the complexity and beauty of this machine.