General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Carrying bike tools, tubes, CO2 in bike shirt vs. bike bag Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-07-24 11:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
Subject: Carrying bike tools, tubes, CO2 in bike shirt vs. bike bag

So my 10+ year old bike bag (tools, repair items etc) that hangs off the back of my seat seat looking like a pair of..... Anyway, the bag's velcro just doesn't hold anymore so I decided to carry the bare essentials in my bike jersey pockets (tube (1), 2 CO2, crackpipe, tire levers, small puncture repair kit, bike tool).  However it's a little much to carry that in addition to nutrition, phone and MP3 (not looking to debate the music part, just wanted to disclose everything I carry on a typical ride).

So here's the question part, I've seen plenty of hardcore roadies out riding that don't have the bag hanging off their seats but I do see what looks to be one or two tubes somehow attached to the seat.  So I'm wondering, how most people carry their bike tools, tubes, etc., in a bag or in their shirts, or do many of you just go without anything except a phone then call the SAG wagon when something goes wrong.  And for those that attach tubes to their seats, what's the best way to do that?  The tube actually takes up the most room in my shirt so getting that on the bike would be a good quick win for me..

For tri's I have a multi-bottle seat mounted holder and put everything in an old waterbottle, it's more the road biking that I'm wondering about.

Thanks.

2014-07-24 12:10 PM
in reply to: TriMike

Subject: RE: Carrying bike tools, tubes, CO2 in bike shirt vs. bike bag
I use this to keep my tools only (tube, patch kit, multi tool, 2 CO2 cartridges w/inflator, chain breaker tool, schrader to presta adapter, and valve extender) and slip it into the center pocket of my jersey:
http://sticky-pod.com/small-sticky-pod/

cellphone, ID and money go into a ziplock on the left side.

Gu and banana go in the right pocket.
2014-07-24 12:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN, Minnesota
Duct taping my flat kit under my seat has worked in the past. For IMWI, I was able to get 2 tubes, 2 CO2s, a tire lever and a chuck up under there.

If the tubes are taking up the most space, you could just tape those to the frame and carry the rest of your tools in your pockets.
2014-07-24 12:19 PM
in reply to: strawdog18

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by strawdog18 I use this to keep my tools only (tube, patch kit, multi tool, 2 CO2 cartridges w/inflator, chain breaker tool, schrader to presta adapter, and valve extender) and slip it into the center pocket of my jersey: http://sticky-pod.com/small-sticky-pod/cellphone, ID and money go into a ziplock on the left side. Gu and banana go in the right pocket.

This looks intriguing. 

Thanks for the link.

2014-07-24 12:23 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

What is your objection to buying another seat bag?  For training, I've got a large bag with the spare tube, levers, multi-tool, patch kit, headlight/taillight, $10 bill, and a paper towel for the inevitable black grease spot.  For racing, I'll swap out for a smaller bag with the tube, patch kit, levers, multi-tool, and CO2 (frame pump in training).  

I can put my phone in the large seat bag or the Bento box along with my food.  

2014-07-24 12:23 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

I carry it all in my pocket. I switch up bikes a lot and would likely forget to switch my seat bag. And I race a lot and would need to take the seatbag off and would likely forget to put it back on. I'm not sure about that second one though, since I do leave whatever I am carrying at the start/finish line and manage to pick that up, so I'm sure I could pick up a seatbag. So probably I just like the look of my bike without a seatbag then. 

Anyway, I carry my phone with headphones, one bar, armwarmers sometimes, one tube, 2 tire levers, some cash and credit card in my phone case, my keys and a pump in my three jersey pockets. It all fits and the pockets on my small jerseys are pretty small. One longer rides I may have a bit more gear, but can still get another tube or multitool in the pockets I have and in winter I'm wearing a jacket or a vest over top of my jersey, so there are more pockets to fit more stuff.

Edited by jeng 2014-07-24 12:27 PM

2014-07-24 12:25 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

On my mtb, I do have a tub attached to my seat. I just use electrical tape.

2014-07-24 12:30 PM
in reply to: jeng

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

I just use a big under seat bag. No shame in this game. More comfy than having it all in my back pockets and it can always be taken off if I am racing. Doesn't make any difference to me for a training ride.

2014-07-24 12:38 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Yeah, I'm all about looks. Also being a shorter person, some of my bikes don't have much of a seatpost showing, so there isn't a lot of room for a bag.

2014-07-24 12:43 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by McFuzz

What is your objection to buying another seat bag?  For training, I've got a large bag with the spare tube, levers, multi-tool, patch kit, headlight/taillight, $10 bill, and a paper towel for the inevitable black grease spot.  For racing, I'll swap out for a smaller bag with the tube, patch kit, levers, multi-tool, and CO2 (frame pump in training).  

No objection to a seat bag other than I don't particularly like the look, not to mention I read somewhere that the bike bag is looked upon as a fred item.... I'm definitely about function over form so I'm just information gathering at this point.

I can say that if I continue to cram everything in my pockets without a better system I'll inevitably forget something..... I really think I'm leaning towards the sticky pod concept....Best of both worlds if you will...

2014-07-24 12:48 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

depends. i have a few methods.  unless i'm doing a lot of climbing or doing a long brick in a tri kit i use an under seat bag.  jersey pocket for climbing and i have an specialized keg i stick in an open cage for long bricks where i'm using a rear hydration mount and BTA in addition to the frame mounted cages. 

2014-07-24 12:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by jeng

Yeah, I'm all about looks. Also being a shorter person, some of my bikes don't have much of a seatpost showing, so there isn't a lot of room for a bag.

It doesn't help watching so much of the tour the past couple weeks and those racing machines don't have anything on them but a racer...

Granted I don't have a team car, neutral support car/bike or a domestique to hand me their wheel but, still....

2014-07-24 12:54 PM

User image

New user
madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by TriMike

No objection to a seat bag other than I don't particularly like the look, not to mention I read somewhere that the bike bag is looked upon as a fred item.... I'm definitely about function over form so I'm just information gathering at this point.

I can say that if I continue to cram everything in my pockets without a better system I'll inevitably forget something..... I really think I'm leaning towards the sticky pod concept....Best of both worlds if you will...

Embrace the FRED!!!
Seriously, one aspect that hasn't been mentioned is that it is pretty dangerous to carry sharp objects (crack pipe, co2, patch kit box, etc) in your jersey. In the event of a fall, you are likely to roll over these objects and that is some pretty vulnerable area. (spine, kidneys).
Get a bag. Put some pink streamers on it and tell anyone that says something about it that they can jump in a lake.
2014-07-24 1:01 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Originally posted by jeng

It doesn't help watching so much of the tour the past couple weeks and those racing machines don't have anything on them but a racer...

Granted I don't have a team car, neutral support car/bike or a domestique to hand me their wheel but, still....

Yeah, I know. I can't be pro, but I can look pro. 

2014-07-24 1:04 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

No one will make fun of your seat bag when you throw them in the hurt locker and slam the door shut on them. So train hard and buy a nice big, pink, seat bag!

2014-07-24 1:19 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by Aarondb4

No one will make fun of your seat bag when you throw them in the hurt locker and slam the door shut on them. So train hard and buy a nice big, pink, seat bag!

For the win! 

Mark

2014-07-24 2:32 PM
in reply to: pwoolson

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by pwoolson

Embrace the FRED!!! Seriously, one aspect that hasn't been mentioned is that it is pretty dangerous to carry sharp objects (crack pipe, co2, patch kit box, etc) in your jersey. In the event of a fall, you are likely to roll over these objects and that is some pretty vulnerable area. (spine, kidneys). Get a bag. Put some pink streamers on it and tell anyone that says something about it that they can jump in a lake.

Outside of forgetting something in my pocket, the only other issue I was concerned about if I forego the bag was a crash and what these objects may do to me... I tend to fall on my shoulders but then again I didn't pre-plan them it's just sort of worked out that way...

2014-07-24 2:54 PM

Rule 29 is clear, no saddle bag.

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

In case of races, taping to the underside of the saddle is acceptable.
2014-07-24 3:12 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Originally posted by ziggie204

Rule 42 means that none of the other rules apply here.
2014-07-24 3:21 PM
in reply to: Danno77

Originally posted by Danno77

Originally posted by ziggie204

Rule 42 means that none of the other rules apply here.

There is obviously some bias there. But when in Rome. . .

We do as swimmers when we swim

We do as runners when we run

We shall stick to the code and do as roadies when we ride

2014-07-24 3:25 PM

User image

Pro

2014-07-24 3:54 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

I totally forgot the rules, thanks for the reminder. I am compliant!

I was leading a women's clinic last week and we were learning to change our tires. Some ladies thought step #1 was to turn their bike upside down. I told them not too because it was uncool. I completely forgot it was rule #49.

2014-07-24 3:59 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by ziggie204 Rule 29 is clear, no saddle bag. http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/In case of races, taping to the underside of the saddle is acceptable.

Thanks for this link.... A must read for anyone who rides...

2014-07-25 6:56 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Do you truly need all that on a ride? Single tube, single Co2 and a single tire lever is pretty much all I bring. Easily fits in the smallest of bags under my saddle. On my road bike, I only have a single can of Hutchinson FastAir (since I ride tubeless, that's really all I need).

Cellphone, a couple of gels and an energy bar fits easily in the back pocket. Absolutely no MP3 for obvious reasons.
2014-07-25 7:28 AM
in reply to: audiojan

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by audiojan Do you truly need all that on a ride? Single tube, single Co2 and a single tire lever is pretty much all I bring. Easily fits in the smallest of bags under my saddle. On my road bike, I only have a single can of Hutchinson FastAir (since I ride tubeless, that's really all I need). Cellphone, a couple of gels and an energy bar fits easily in the back pocket. Absolutely no MP3 for obvious reasons.

I tend to carry about as much as the OP does, going with the "better to have it and not need it" line of thinking. Don't want to take the chance of botching a repair from being tired and having to call someone. Especially when I drove 4-5 hrs to get to the start in the first place!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Carrying bike tools, tubes, CO2 in bike shirt vs. bike bag Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Carrying tools on a tri bike?

Started by odpaul7
Views: 2555 Posts: 18

2012-11-27 5:04 AM odpaul7

Need storage solution for on-bike equipment (tubes, CO2, etc)

Started by Mike_D
Views: 1549 Posts: 13

2011-04-08 2:31 PM Leegoocrap

Top-tube carry bike rack

Started by Rogillio
Views: 838 Posts: 9

2010-09-29 2:10 PM ChrisM

Carrying tube, CO2, etc. on Bike

Started by Gregkl
Views: 4643 Posts: 24

2010-04-06 1:46 PM Gregkl

TT Bike vs Road bike tube shape?

Started by ezfast88
Views: 964 Posts: 5

2008-03-28 1:08 PM trophytaker
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
A Walmart bike, a borrowed road bike or a new carbon fiber bike? You don't need to break the bank for your first triathlon bike.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : March 14, 2010
author : Ontherun
comments : 1
Ontherun reviews the basics of CO2 inflation systems along with a few of his favorite devices and how to use them including the XLAB NanoInflator and the SecondWind Road and MTB CO2 Inflators.

date : January 9, 2010
comments : 0
Does a degree or two difference between two frames(head and/or seat tube) really make that much of a difference when it comes to fit?
date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : August 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Are you traveling to a race and need to ship your bike? This video will demonstrate how to disassemble your bike to be able to pack it properly in a bike case for shipping.
date : January 1, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
comments : 2
We will take a peek into the lowly saddlebag to see what needs to be in there in case of emergency. Much of this may be common sense, some might surprise you, and some are simply just my opinion.

date : December 14, 2004
author : chrisandniki
Learn to perform routine maintenance on your bike. Knowing basic maintenance will make you a better rider. You’ll also come to recognize the complexity and beauty of this machine.