General Discussion Race Reports! » Triathlon Trimemphre - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Triathlon Trimemphre - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Magog, Quebec
Canada
22C / 72F
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 31m 20s
Overall Rank = 443/480
Age Group = W35-39
Age Group Rank = 20/22
Pre-race routine:

A different pre-race routine for this one as we chose to travel to Magog the day before and spend the night. Went for a (rather speedy) packet pick-up, then dinner downtown. Lots of people, triathletes everywhere (Canadian championships really has a way to invade a little touristy place!) We ended up in a pub, took forever to be served (1 hour and a half) and the pizza I ate gave me stomach aches. At that point I just wanted to be done and go to sleep! Went to bed at 10 pm, slept surprisingly well. For breakfast the next day, instead of having my usual cereal with blueberries we went to a breakfast place and I had eggs, toasts and fruit. I know, nothing new on race day! But I had no problem with this.
Event warmup:

This was my 3rd triathlon (2nd this year). Setup transition quickly, got body marked, got my chip and I was ready to roll.1 hour to go until my wave starts, I'm watching the previous waves go in, cheer on a few friends (who ended up doing really good that day!) and then I went for a quick swim. Water was perfect, almost no wind.
Swim
  • 34m 3s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 16s / 100 meters
Comments:

Last year (sprint) I started at the back not knowing how my swim measured up with the other ladies, but I ended up slowing a lot before being able to pass a few of them. So this time I wanted to try to start at the front, just to see. Well, it would have been good if I was able to swim a straight line, darn it (I usually am, don't know what happened here!). I know I added more distance and I was swimming a pace closer than 2:00/100m. There was a few contacts here and there, but nothing to throw me out of rythm.

At the first blue buoy we had to go right and I did too sharp a turn. I had to readjust once again to go straight. I don't know why I did that, I knew the course. I was a bit disoriented there. Next turn and swim back went A-1. About time :)

Close to the stairs, you have to watch out for uneven bottom surface; my coach said to keep the goggles on until the stairs and I'm glad I did. A few girls were caught by surprise and had to swim the last bit with their goggles in hand. Nailed that!
What would you do differently?:

Run a bit longer at the start, very shallow in this lake.
Swim straight!
Also practice more OWS, Did a lot of that last year, not much this year.
Transition 1
  • 02m 51s
Comments:

T1 a little longer than usual, as I took the time to sit down to put on socks for the run.

In retrospect, not sure this helped. I had a couple of blisters that I think were caused by wet toes rubbing on each other in the sock. I am used to bike and run wthout socks, just not at these distances. Will try it barefoot next time.
Bike
  • 1h 37m 34s
  • 40 kms
  • 24.60 km/hr
Comments:

That course is quite hilly (Garmin says 1,132 feet elevation, not sure if accurate). No flat part, one hill after the other. Course is out and back, 1 loop, with the last bit always fun on chemin Southière. Challenging but really fun and beautiful course.

I practiced on hills a lot more this year, but this was tough. I usually pass lots of girls on the bike but not this time, passed only 2, did not look at their calves for age/event. I was alone for a long while, to a point where I was wondering if I had missed a turn or something. Was passed by the occasional duathlete (mainly men on tri bikes) so not too disapointing. Effort was good, given the course and my bike fitness.

Nutrition : At my last sprint triathlon I had (loosely) taped a gel on my top tube but lost it during the bike. This time I put 1 gel in my tri top (small pocket at the back) and it seemed tight enough to hold in place. I still taped my energy bar on top tube but made sure it was secure. Would you know it, I lost my gel (again!!) but managed to eat my energy bar while climbing hills. I also drank half of my cytomax and 1/3 of my water bottle (both were hot at that time, ugh). This was not enough, as I would find out during the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

Good transition. Just switched off shoes and hats.

Nothing, good here! (until I learn to ride with feet on top of shoes and jumping off the bike without making a fool out of myself, not much time I can gain here).
Run
  • 1h 14m 30s
  • 10 kms
  • 07m 27s  min/km
Comments:

Run is by far my worst sport and after a hilly bike I was not sure how I would hold up, but was expecting a slow result. First loop I was able to run decently (for me) and just briefly walk the aid stations. Second loop and after passing the finish line it got tough. I caught myself walking in-between aid stations. I just had no energy left and would have benefited from that gel that I lost somewhere.

Make sure I eat a gel just before getting off bike, that would have helped. Other than that, just run more (I did not have the mileage I wanted for that run) and suck it up buttercup, I know I can push more.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed 3 pieces of watermelon (1 for me and 1 each for the kiddos, as per the tradition!). Had post-race lunch but was not that hungry. Stretched a little and went with the kids for a quick swim in the lake.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The not-so-straight swim, the hills and the heat, plus not enough nutrition. Let's just say I learned A LOT during this race, a first oly for me.

Event comments:

The only thing that was missing from this race was gels at aid stations. They only had water and a gatorade-type drink. So if you do this race make sure you bring everything you need to eat, there is nothing on the Oly course, including on the bike course (I think they had 1 aid station with gels for the HIM event).

Everything else, spectacular! I will be back next year for either the sprint or the oly, is it challenging, but beautiful and well-organized.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-07-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:03 | 1500 meters | 02m 16s / 100meters
Age Group: 19/22
Overall: 0/480
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 22C / 72F Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:51
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:37:34 | 40 kms | 24.60 km/hr
Age Group: 18/22
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 70
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:33
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:14:30 | 10 kms | 07m 27s  min/km
Age Group: 20/22
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 loops, most of the course is in a residential area with no shade and by this time it was really hot out. Thankfully a few residents had pity on us and brought out their garden hose, they would drench us in cold water, what a treat!!! A small descending part under the trees on the way back before the last stretch on the road (and under the sun).
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-07-24 3:09 PM

User image

New user
Subject: Triathlon Trimemphre - Olympic Course

2014-07-24 8:51 PM
in reply to: #5030171

User image

SOUTH WINDSOR, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Triathlon Trimemphre - Olympic Course

Way to go Isabella!  Great job... 

2014-07-25 9:40 AM

User image

Master
Maryland
Isabella I just read your RR and I love how reflective you are. Congratulations on your Olympic tri! Your picture is fantastic too!
2014-07-26 12:43 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Isabelle

Good job on your first Oly shows you prepared well!!!

You did all your bucket list this year!!!

Congrats

2014-07-28 12:16 AM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Great picture of you and outstanding job! So sorry about the nutrition issue because dang, that is not fun to bonk on the fun. But you did a fantastic job on every aspect!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triathlon Trimemphre - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Triathlon Trimemphre - Sprint Course

Started by isabella969
Views: 1213 Posts: 1

2013-08-11 11:24 PM isabella969

Triathlon Trimemphre - Sprint Course

Started by demf19
Views: 901 Posts: 1

2012-09-26 3:04 PM demf19

Triathlon Trimemphre (Sprint)

Started by verdilan
Views: 1178 Posts: 1

2009-08-06 7:46 PM verdilan

Started by rlejeune
Views: 2129 Posts: 18

2009-07-28 11:45 AM ceilidh

Started by caro11
Views: 1275 Posts: 3

2009-08-06 8:00 PM verdilan
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.
date : August 30, 2004
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.