General Discussion Triathlon Talk » PF Orthotics ? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-24 3:18 PM

User image

Long Island, NY
Subject: PF Orthotics ?
I had a bad case of PF last year in both feet. With the advice I received here from BT, I went to ART therapy and it cleared up in about 6 sessions. I sleep with a night brace on both feet. I have been using Align orthotics in all my shoes & sneakers. My PF will act up once in awhile but is under control. My question is, Do I ever begin to start running without orthotics? I know the orthotic will often help stabilize the foot, but it will not correct the problem because it can not correct the weakness of the tibialis posterior. The orthotics work but I am worried about future pain in the knee, back, or perhaps shoulder from the new, different, and altered mechanics.Thoughts?

2014-07-24 3:52 PM
in reply to: Jayabusa

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: PF Orthotics ?

PF is one of those things that a little different for everyone.  It's a chronic injury that does tend to heal, but often very slowly.  For me- a few weeks of no running and therapy got me so that I could run again.  Ran with orthotics for a while, but then just moved to more supportive shoes.   Still a niggle in the foot for more than a year that I needed to be careful with.  Now- after 2-1/2 years it seems to be completely gone.  YMMV   I did (and still do) spend some time getting my thumb in there, and using a small roller on it to keep the scar tissue from forming.

but- I'd say that there is good hope for it to heal, slowly over many months if not a year or two- to the point where you would be able to toss the orthotics.  Or- just use them for longer runs.  or change shoes.   My guess is that you just need to feel your way through it.  For now- use the support, as it will reduce the strain on it as it's healing.

Things that have helped my running the most:

1.  consistency

2.  the 10% rule

3.  not building mileage and speed at the same time.  Either ramp up the miles, or build the speed- but not both.

4.  succumbed to stability shoes.  they're not as much fun to run in- but they help me (I'm a flat footed pronator)

5.  Running to a playlist that 180bpm.  you just cannot overstride at that cadence.  keeps your feet under you.  (this should be #1)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » PF Orthotics ? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

How do I tell if I need Orthotics

Started by TexOma
Views: 1850 Posts: 9

2007-10-18 1:49 AM tcovert

Orthotics w/ support shoe or neutral shoe??

Started by mehl.cameron
Views: 1057 Posts: 9

2007-07-06 2:21 PM Bill

Orthotics

Started by lil_turtle
Views: 686 Posts: 10

2007-06-09 12:16 PM madkat

orthotics?

Started by jmcelroy
Views: 871 Posts: 12

2007-01-29 12:47 PM frsully

squeeky orthotics

Started by garyzakutney
Views: 518 Posts: 5

2006-03-30 12:41 PM garyzakutney
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
My left leg is significantly shorter than my right by 7mm. For the bike I got an extra shim in my cleat, so I'm wondering if orthotics would be called for in my running shoes?

date : December 11, 2007
comments : 0
I have had chronic Achilles tendonitis problems for a good portion of my life. I am wondering if this can ever go away, or if there is a surgery that can be done?
date : July 3, 2006
Is there anything that I can do to lessen the chances of stress fractures. I have had no luck with the doctors I have seen. Some have advised orthotics, some say there is nothing that can be done.

date : October 30, 2005
Been having ankle and achilles pain. Went to sports med/therapy clinic...was given stretches to help achilles and had an appointment made for getting orthotics.
date : May 3, 2005
My right foot is killing me (flat feet, wearing orthotics). I can no longer run on it and am forced to walk. After walking 10k, my foot felt like it was squeezed really hard.