General Discussion Triathlon Talk » From Tri to Trimumma Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-24 7:39 PM

User image

Subject: From Tri to Trimumma
Hey All,

It has been quite some time since I was last on these forums - oh how I have missed you all!

Here is where my life is at and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated:

Two summers ago I was a single lady putting all my heart and energy into triathlon and firefighting. Met the man of my dreams and continued triathlon till I managed to injure myself doing a half marathon (out of all things!). Due to this, had to pull out of my big triathlon I had been training for which was utter heartbreak. Skip forward 18months and now I am a mum to a beautiful 14week old baby and I am so ready to take over the world (more like my own little world) with triathlon again.
I have entered to do a decent tri in Jan 2015 - 600m swim, 18km ride and 6km run (breast cancer awareness hence the random distances). How do you manage your training and family time?
Those of you who are tri-mumma's - what do I need to know in order to keep a good balance on it all?

Thanks all!

2014-07-24 7:56 PM
in reply to: yrobinson

Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: RE: From Tri to Trimumma
congrats to you and your new little one!

My kiddos are 7 and 9 now, so it is easier, and harder at the same time. Once you get to the point where they are old enough, they start in activities/homework etc etc that have you running around like a crazy person. That being said, here is what I did when my kids were little:

For my oldest, after his last early morning feeding (around 4am) I figured that since I was up already, I started back to running again. My husband was home and my kids went back to sleep after eating, so I could usually fit in a 30-40 min run a few times/week.

My parents live here, so I got a lot of help from there. One day a week my mom watched the kids so I could train/rest/whatever.
I also had a great family friend who loved kids, so she would come over and watch the kids while I went to yoga or swim.

I also teach spin classes, so already had a programmed bike workout. Once the kids were old enough, they went to the gym daycare with me. Or my mom came over for the hour, or I got a babysitter.

I had a good babyjogger so used that a lot.

Now my kids ride their bikes along with me while I run, so it's a blast and I love sharing that love of fitness with them.

Key is finding a good village to surround yourself with. Family, babysitters, neighbors, good gym daycare etc.

A couple that I work with at my cycle studio is training for IMKY in a month, and they have a 15th month old. They have some family that watches their daughter while they do their long rides/runs, and they alternate their other workouts so each can get some quality training in.
Your priorities change, from being able to train whenever/wherever to learning to manage your time well! Emphasis on quality workouts so you don't have to spend a lot of time on them, and go long every week to two weeks.

enjoy the weekends where your worry is entertaining the little one. Now we have soccer/football games and chess tournaments to schedule around, and they are always at the worst times!

Hope this helped a little! You can do it, just do what you can and prioritize sleep as much as you can (with a baby). Plenty of time to go longer. Enjoy the kids when they are little! They grow up so fast!
2014-07-24 8:18 PM
in reply to: #5030265

This is my first season of triathlon, and I have a 2 year old son. I work FT as well. My husband has been home with our son since January, but goes back to school in August. When I get off work, he usually wants a break. This makes afternoon/evening training challenging.

I wake up before 5 most mornings and can get an hour long session in before work. In the afternoons, I can escape during naptime as long as I don't abuse it. If I get off work early, I can also take advantage of free child watch at the Y (one of the big reasons we joined). I joined a local tri team, and they practice Saturday mornings. Sundays I try not to make big training plans - it's an off day or something short and easy.

We moved cross country for my job, so we have no family here and no close friends yet. Making myself get up early is the key to a successful week of training - any other time slot is too much to ask of my husband or would take time away from my son.
2014-07-24 8:18 PM
in reply to: #5030278

Also - congrats on your new little one!!
2014-07-26 3:48 AM
in reply to: yrobinson

User image

Thanks heaps for the advice - Im currently full time stay at home mum so I definitely have an advantage there. I have just started running a couple of days a week in the evenings with one of my friends (as it is dead mid winter here in NZ). My inlaws have already said they would be more than happy to look after my little man during the day if I want to do some training. I think I need to sit down and plan 4-5days of training and leave the other 2-3days for family time.

I love the idea of early morning training after feeds. I may do this closer to summer when it's a bit lighter.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » From Tri to Trimumma Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

tri suit vs tri short and tri top

Started by smileydc01
Views: 2415 Posts: 18

2006-06-19 6:20 AM suziq_623

My first Tri - Golden State Tri, Sacramento, CA, 10/17

Started by ellismichael
Views: 793 Posts: 11

2004-10-19 1:09 PM murrellbyrdja

Tucson Tinfoilman Tri - 1st tri!

Started by PirateGirl
Views: 556 Posts: 5

2004-10-14 1:04 PM PirateGirl

First Olympic TRI (First TRI Period!!!!)

Started by satchmo72
Views: 1303 Posts: 12

2004-09-08 12:30 AM Tori

Indoor Tri's / Y-Tri's Question

Started by jkbostic
Views: 620 Posts: 3

2004-08-31 3:40 PM jkbostic
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.