General Discussion Race Reports! » Chattahoochee Challenge Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Chattahoochee Challenge Sprint Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Columbus, Georgia
United States
TriColumbusGA
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 16m 42s
Overall Rank = 5/145
Age Group = W30-34
Age Group Rank = 2/23
Pre-race routine:

For the first time this season, I was very apprehensive going into this race. If you look at my logs on here, you can see that training just isn't there this month. I had a good training month in June, but this month has been lacking. I've still been training, but not doing the volume I am used to. I made the choice to be there for my family and friends and to me, no training is more important than that. Triathlon is a hobby, its not my job. Training will always be there, people need you when they need you.Moving halfway across the country in 6 week has also consumed a lot of my thoughts lately.

Made the 4.5 hour drive to Fort Benning, GA, to stay with my friend Mindy at her house. I brought my best friend Loraine and my 2 girls with me to spectate for the race. Race morning I woke up to a not so pleasant surprise, pouring rain. We went to the race site. I grabbed an umbrella and picked up my packet in the pouring rain. Everyone at the race site looked miserable. I was really starting to feel guilty for dragging everyone out here. Went to go grab my crew and my gear, and suddenly the pouring race was reduced to a sprinkle.
Event warmup:

The rain stopped when we arrived back to transition. I was so relieved, still a good amount of time before the race start, so I knew if it didn't start raining again, the roads would be somewhat dry for the bike portion. After my transition was all set up we headed over to the swim start. It was a time trial start which had you sliding down an inflatable water slide to start. The start of the race was delayed by 30 minutes, so I hung out with my crew until it was time to join the swim start crowd
Swim
  • 11m 29s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 18s / 100 meters
Comments:

The water slide time trial start took a long time, it took an hour and a half for my turn. Finally it was my turn and going down the was so fun, I wanted to get out of the water and go down again! But this was a race, time to get moving! Up above on the pavilion I could hear my crew cheering for me, the first time in a race I could actually hear my specific cheers. I felt great in the swim and the water was nice. I swam strong without completely gassing myself and it was over before I knew it. Exiting the water it was a long, twisty turning run to T1, which was included in the swim time.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, great swim for me
Transition 1
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

Happy to keep it under a minute

Nothing
Bike
  • 40m 32s
  • 12 miles
  • 17.76 mile/hr
Comments:

The first 2 miles on the Riverwalk were kinda scary, it was a narrow path with bikes moving in both directions. I had to make sure it was completely clear before passing or there would have been a head-on collision. Once the course went to the main road I could open up and pick up some speed. The road was wet with puddles so I had to be smart and use some caution. Yes it was a race, but I wanted to live to race another day. It started drizzling again at the end of the bike course. Also at the end of the bike course heading into T2 there was a lot of activity forcing us to slow down a lot which ate into our bike times, but everyone had to do that so no big deal

Nothing, was happy with my ride
Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

Wanted to get it under a minute, but since I wear Newtons I need to put socks on

Learn how to put socks on quicker
Run
  • 22m 40s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 32s  min/km
Comments:

Felt good running out of T2, got a boost when I saw my cheer crew. Right before my Garmin beeped for mile 1, it started raining, hard. Instantly my socks were soaked and were squishy. I could even hear it, that spongy sound. Having been in worse situations during races, I was still able to be happy, smile, carry on and encourage my fellow competitors. Heading to the second out and back, I saw my cheer crew again, they were under shelter, and once again I felt bad for dragging everyone out in this horrible weather for a race. They all looked happy, even my girls, which helped me push harder at that moment. I was a bit behind in my pace, but I still had a mile and a half to make up for it. This was where the section of brick road started. They were the older, shiny bricks, so since it was raining they were slippery. My running style I take short, quick steps, so I was slipping all over the place, struggling to get traction. Nonetheless, this slowed me down over the 4 sections of brick road over the last mile and a half. Knowing every other competitor had to deal with this kept me from getting discouraged and I just took it for what is was and knew I would have a good race story to tell later. Finish line came into view and I had enough left in the tank to sprint through it.

Nothing, can't control the weather
Post race
Warm down:

It was raining at the finish, so hung out with my crew under some shelter and told them all about the race. Talked to some Team SBM teammates. At the awards I ended up placing 2nd in age group, only 6 seconds from 1st in age group, and 5th overall female, only 2 minutes from 1st overall female. Really loved having my friends and girls at the race. Having people there for me is usually the deciding factor if I enjoyed the race or not

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The weather

Event comments:

Was a fun race, but next time they might was to have 2 water slides for the start, it took over 2 hours to get 300 people in the water. Other than that, they did an excellent job, especially with the adversities with the bad weather

Last updated: 2014-06-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:29 | 500 meters | 02m 18s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/23
Overall: 0/145
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Point to point down river
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:56
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:40:32 | 12 miles | 17.76 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/23
Wind: Little
Course: Lollipop
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:40 | 05 kms | 04m 32s  min/km
Age Group: 2/23
Performance: Average
Course: 2 out and backs
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-07-25 9:44 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
Subject: Chattahoochee Challenge Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chattahoochee Challenge Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Chattahoochee Challenge Sprint Triathlon

Started by podemma
Views: 1022 Posts: 2

2014-07-22 11:52 AM thor67

Started by jasonball
Views: 1051 Posts: 1

2012-06-11 10:46 PM jasonball

Started by snorman
Views: 970 Posts: 1

2012-06-11 10:33 AM snorman

Chattahoochee Challenge Half Iron Triathlon

Started by m1hw
Views: 1506 Posts: 1

2012-04-23 3:33 PM m1hw

Chattahoochee Challenge Sprint

Started by shake-n-bake
Views: 1335 Posts: 2

2011-08-06 10:22 AM kenj
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : January 14, 2008
author : dr_forbush
comments : 0
In addition to writing your race number on each upper arm, they also wrote your age on your calf. This allowed me to see who was passing me by in the bike section of this race.
date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.

date : September 3, 2005
author : infosteward
The Boulder Peak bike course is legendary. It is, literally and named as such, one of the toughest bike legs in the country.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.