General Discussion Triathlon Talk » WTC Guidelines for Lightning during IM? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-25 1:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Subject: WTC Guidelines for Lightning during IM?
Do they suspend the race if lightning is spotted near the course?

For the past month we have had electrical storms in the Denver/Boulder metro area about every other day. There is a real possibility of storms rolling in during IM Boulder on 8/3.

Do you:

A) Leave the course and find shelter?
B) Run at your own risk?
C) Run next to someone taller than you?

If suspended what do they do about the time delay?

Thanks,
Rick

2014-07-25 2:02 PM
in reply to: rick4657

User image

Subject: RE: WTC Guidelines for Lightning during IM?
I don't really know but I do think that Kansas 70.3 was cancelled mid-race a few years ago due to lightening. I have no idea how it worked out though.
2014-07-25 2:19 PM
in reply to: miamiamy

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by miamiamy I don't really know but I do think that Kansas 70.3 was cancelled mid-race a few years ago due to lightening. I have no idea how it worked out though.

I was racing that year at Kansas. The storm rolled in while everyone was on the run. I could see lightning and saw golf carts driving around actually picking up aid station supplies but they didn't say anything so I just kept running.

They way they handled it was first, it was completely the Race Directors decision. I don't know if they have guidelines or rules, but I know it was his call. They ended up stopping each athlete when they arrived at a certain point on the run - basically the finish line/transition. You had to pass that point multiple times so wherever you were in your race, you just had to stop. I was 2 miles away from finishing.  

The sun came out about 30 minutes later. 

2014-07-25 2:51 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by miamiamy I don't really know but I do think that Kansas 70.3 was cancelled mid-race a few years ago due to lightening. I have no idea how it worked out though.

I was racing that year at Kansas. The storm rolled in while everyone was on the run. I could see lightning and saw golf carts driving around actually picking up aid station supplies but they didn't say anything so I just kept running.

They way they handled it was first, it was completely the Race Directors decision. I don't know if they have guidelines or rules, but I know it was his call. They ended up stopping each athlete when they arrived at a certain point on the run - basically the finish line/transition. You had to pass that point multiple times so wherever you were in your race, you just had to stop. I was 2 miles away from finishing.  

That's what I am afraid of. The storms only last about 20-30 minutes and then it is sunny afterwards. I would much rather sit out for 30 minutes than not be able to finish.
2014-07-27 9:37 AM
in reply to: rick4657

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by rick4657

Originally posted by lisac957

That's what I am afraid of. The storms only last about 20-30 minutes and then it is sunny afterwards. I would much rather sit out for 30 minutes than not be able to finish.

Just happened in Lake Placid during the swim. Evacuated the course, counted the first 1.2 miles of the swim (one loop) and the race has continued, only the swim course shut down early.

In these cases it is always athlete, volunteer, and spectator safety first.
2014-07-27 6:13 PM
in reply to: #5030595

User image

What happened today in Lake Placid seems crazy. Certainly there appears to be controversy about how it was handled. It's kind of hard for me to understand what actually happened today ( did som ag's do 2 laps and others do just one? ). But clearly nobody can control the weather and (as much as it might be annoying) safety of the masses comes first.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » WTC Guidelines for Lightning during IM? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Non-WTC IM races Pages: 1 2

Started by kstater39
Views: 2897 Posts: 28

2013-11-06 9:23 PM Blastman

Good training guidelines for IM

Started by Izlude
Views: 1564 Posts: 12

2010-09-06 10:41 AM PennState

Here's hoping Hooters sponsors a WTC IM event

Started by Big Mac
Views: 601 Posts: 1

2009-03-18 4:02 PM Big Mac

Nature Break on Bike/Run during IM?

Started by jerry
Views: 2053 Posts: 22

2005-06-28 11:41 AM Schwingding

Power output during IM ride.

Started by charles81
Views: 1336 Posts: 10

2004-12-04 8:51 AM mikericci
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 14, 2010
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Part two covers protein after workouts, caffeine usage during racing, the reason for muscle fatigue and general nutrition guidelines.

date : June 14, 2005
author : Team BT
comments : 1
USA Triathlon has announced that it will no longer sanction events owned by the World Triathlon Corporation (WTC) or Ironman North America (IMNA).