General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Honey/Water on Bike = Cheap! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-25 2:27 PM

User image

DC
Subject: Honey/Water on Bike = Cheap!
I'm sure many of you know this already, but for all the beginners: 1/3 honey & 2/3 water in fuel belt bottle... throw it in your back jersey pocket & you now have inexpensive gels for the bike ride.

2014-07-25 2:30 PM
in reply to: Porfirio

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Subject: RE: Honey/Water on Bike = Cheap!

Originally posted by Porfirio I'm sure many of you know this already, but for all the beginners: 1/3 honey & 2/3 water in fuel belt bottle... throw it in your back jersey pocket & you now have inexpensive gels for the bike ride.
If you want some flavor add your favourite koolaid(unsweetened version)

2014-07-25 8:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Where are you getting your honey? There's probably a lot you can say in favor of drinking that, but I don't think you can say it's cheap.
2014-07-25 8:57 PM
in reply to: chayes

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
you can get 2 liters of honey at costco for about $15.
That makes 6 liters of mix, or over 200 1oz (gel packet size) servings.

$15 vs $200 makes it pretty darn cheap.

...but then you may find yourself obsessing over whether it is "real" honey or laced with added sweeteners and other stuff.
2015-03-10 9:28 AM
in reply to: dfroelich

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by dfroelich you can get 2 liters of honey at costco for about $15. That makes 6 liters of mix, or over 200 1oz (gel packet size) servings. $15 vs $200 makes it pretty darn cheap. ...but then you may find yourself obsessing over whether it is "real" honey or laced with added sweeteners and other stuff.

I used to take homemade honey pouches on all my Marathon training runs over 18 miles.  They worked well for me.  I was going to try to do a water honey mix in my 1//2 gallon water tank mounted behind my seat on my next long bike ride.  I was going to heat 6 table spoons of honey to melting then mix it with water.  I was wondering if I could handle adding any sodium in there too or if I should look into sourcing some sodium tablets to work with the honey.  

Have does the honey separate from the water?  I am wondering if it will settle on the bottom and clog up my straw or it it would stay thin for several hours (long enough to get me through a HIM ride) if mixed with water.  

Has anyone used this as their only fuel source on the bike for HIM or IM?  It is supposed to be a balance of fructose and sucrose which helps your body process more carbs that if you only are taking in one type of sugar so I though this may be a winner and am looking at testing it on my next 50 mile ride.

oh...and I buy my honey directly from the bee keepers for $16 a quart (my wife won't let me keep bees myself). So I know that what I am getting is real honey.   It isn't really cheap, but I don't like the flavor of clover honey (not when I can get honey from alfa fields or fruit orchards).    

Note:  The carbs in an ounce of honey is about the same as gel pack, so in a quart of honey you are getting the equivalent of about 30 gel packages.  So my cost is about $0.53 a serving.  That is half the cost of a gel pack.  If you are getting the cheap Costco honey then that would be about $0.25 a serving.  I am all about saving money (which was the main reason I used honey for my Marathon training runs) but on race day I am more interested in have a fuel that is more digestible and will cause less stomach problems and easier to store, access, consume, and dispose of packaging.  Those are the reasons I am looking at honey right now for my bike fuel.  

2015-03-10 9:52 AM
in reply to: dfroelich

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by dfroelich you can get 2 liters of honey at costco for about $15. That makes 6 liters of mix, or over 200 1oz (gel packet size) servings. $15 vs $200 makes it pretty darn cheap. ...but then you may find yourself obsessing over whether it is "real" honey or laced with added sweeteners and other stuff.

I buy from a local farmer.  Good stuff and a neat process. 

2015-03-10 9:55 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Good points and I'll just reiterate to source your honey locally if you care at all about the ingredients. 
Recent article here on "honey laundering" and colony collapse disorder.

Many of the health benefits of honey are removed when it's "pasteurized" or heated quickly above 95 degrees or so - here's a great article on raw honey if that interests anyone.

2015-03-10 2:46 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

DC
Originally posted by lisac957

Good points and I'll just reiterate to source your honey locally if you care at all about the ingredients. 
Recent article here on "honey laundering" and colony collapse disorder.

Many of the health benefits of honey are removed when it's "pasteurized" or heated quickly above 95 degrees or so - here's a great article on raw honey if that interests anyone.

You done just schooled me!
2015-03-10 3:22 PM

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Disclaimer: my info might be dated because i haven't checked it in a while.

I've also read that adding chia seeds could be beneficial, but I don't remember why now :D.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Honey/Water on Bike = Cheap! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Recommended road bike upgrades for "cheap" bike Pages: 1 2

Started by dbrook1
Views: 4957 Posts: 33

2013-05-22 4:51 PM morey000

Help needed: New Cheaper bike or more expensive used bike

Started by Hypke6
Views: 2034 Posts: 14

2013-02-19 5:40 PM spearit

Used bike or new cheaper bike?

Started by jmcconne
Views: 851 Posts: 6

2010-07-16 2:17 PM morey000

Water Bottle Printing - Any Cheap Suggestions?

Started by lobstergirl
Views: 805 Posts: 6

2007-03-28 5:58 AM medic1962

need a cheap bike to start me off

Started by redbullgt337
Views: 1055 Posts: 5

2003-11-13 6:15 AM NewTri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : March 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
What is the best way to carry fluid on your bike in a triathlon?

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : December 27, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : September 3, 2005
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
You may think that all the swims are the same. You get in, follow the buoys and exit. Well, it’s not so simple. What will the water itself be like?

date : December 12, 2004
author : CLLinIA
What you can do to clean up your local swimming hole and keep it clean!