General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » How do you know when you can complete a race successfully? Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-25 3:36 PM

Subject: How do you know when you can complete a race successfully?
I am very new to this triathlon world. I have always wanted to do one but am battling fear and insecurity regarding the swim and bike portions. I am a competitive runner (club runner for 10+ years) but got plantar fasciitis in March and finally bit the bullet and bought myself a bathing suit and hopped in the pool and started swimming. At first I couldn't swim 50 metres without taking a rest. I am currently able to swim well past 1000 M without stopping and some workouts approach 2000 m. So am gaining strength there. I have cycled on and off for a couple of years but have really amped the spin classes up and have bought myself a road bike and am quite comfortable cycling for well over an hour. I have done a few open water swims at the cottage and those are improving too.

My question is, there is a triathlon I have been eyeing next weekend. 750 swim, 30 k bike, 7 k run. I don't have a problem doing any of those distances separately, I have just never strung them together all at the same time and am wondering if I am biting off more than I can chew. I am sure I can finish it but being competitive I don't just want to finish. Should I just do it so I can get the experience under my belt?

My other plan is to do a sprint tri in a month, 750 swim, 20 bike and 5 k run. It seems more manageable to me but I still am enticed by trying the other triathlon next weekend.

I am very fit, having been a competitive runner for many years. The swimming and biking are coming along nicely but there is still lots of room for improvement. I am running 4 times a week now and swim/cycle 2-3 times.

I just don't want to show up and be completely over my head.

Any thoughts?

2014-07-25 4:02 PM
in reply to: runnermom3

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: How do you know when you can complete a race successfully?

It sounds like your preparation is going very well. I don't think you would be "over your head" but you need to manage your expectations. If you are doing it to get one under your belt that sounds good. But if you won't be happy to just complete it then you need to re-think waiting for the later race. I like the idea of doing one just to figure things out. Have you practiced transitions? That is another thing that would be nice to just get a feel for at a race, not expecting to be competative. Then if you do finish well it will be icing on the cake!

Welcome to triathlon. It's a great place to be!

2014-07-27 11:06 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Originally posted by rrrunner

It sounds like your preparation is going very well. I don't think you would be "over your head" but you need to manage your expectations. If you are doing it to get one under your belt that sounds good. But if you won't be happy to just complete it then you need to re-think waiting for the later race. I like the idea of doing one just to figure things out. Have you practiced transitions? That is another thing that would be nice to just get a feel for at a race, not expecting to be competative. Then if you do finish well it will be icing on the cake!

Welcome to triathlon. It's a great place to be!

This plus take it easier this week if you do sign up.
2014-07-28 3:15 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

You know when you cross the finish line!  

It sounds flippant, but we're measured by showing up on race day and completing the course, not whether we *could* do it or what our times *could be* on a hypothetical day.  

You're a competitive runner, and maybe you've run a bunch of half-marathons and marathons.  Your friend asks you to join him for the 5K this weekend.   You'd certainly expect to finish the 5K, but...what's to say you don't step on someone's foot in the crowded start and break your ankle.  What *hypothetically* was going to be an 18-minute race turns into a DNF.  

It sounds like you've trained enough to be confident you can finish the race.  

2014-07-29 10:03 AM

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
It's an art, not a science. :-)

Your fitness level points to not only finishing, but competing in the race.

Bike and run times translate well from training to racing. Just take into account elevation changes.

Swim times can vary, depending on your confidence, sighting, water conditions, etc.
2014-07-29 10:35 AM

Yah, what swimbikeron said.

When I signed up for my first one (a sprint, just a tad shorter than what you're looking at) I had never ever run more than a couple hundred yards. At least not since middle school. While I wasn't fighting PF or anything like that...I just wasn't a runner and had probably the same anxiety about the run that you have with the swim.

I had lost a bunch of weight and had been working out 5-6 days a week (elliptical, Arc Trainer, and some mild-ish strength training) for the first time in my life...for about a year. 7 months into my fitness lifestyle change I tried to run what I thought would be 2 miles. I got maybe 500 yards before I was bored and mentally couldn't keep going and started walking. I don't even think I walked a half mile. Fast forward a few more months.....90 lbs. gone and still only somewhat fit-ish. Friend convinces me to sign up for a sprint.

A few weeks after signing up, a conflict came up and I couldn't do it. Emailed the race director to let them know someone could have my spot as it's a popular one. He said there was one a few weeks before that they were hosting. So I blindly went and signed up for it...not paying attention/comprehending that it was a near Olympic length. I did catch that it was open water, but that didn't scare me and I did the mile swim in Boy Scouts....I can elementary backstroke a half mile if need be. 20 miles on the bike, no problem. BUT A 4 MILE RUN? Are you kidding me? The other was only 3.

I had started mixing in the treadmill when I signed up for the sprint. Quickly found out that I could actually do the running thing outside. And I liked it too. I just needed to get those muscles far enough along that it wasn't a dreadful experience.

You've done that with the swimming. You'll finish. You'll finish strong. You'll be like "is that it? That didn't take very long. I usually work out a little harder and longer, I might have to go for a light run this afternoon."

I'll give you the true beginner/noob advice that I was fortunate to have been given by friends or found here. It's the same stuff I try to remind myself every time.
-You gotta do the bike/run thing for sure at some point in training. The leg thing. Everybody talks about how "weird it feels" when you go from bike-to-run. But I've figured out exactly how to explain it. Your legs will simultaneously feel like they're made of lead...yet filled with helium. Mix in the excitement of the day, the atmosphere, and it was (still is) hard for me to get/feel my right pacing.
-headphones generally aren't allowed
-yes, there will be portapotties (but not necessarily exactly where you need them)
-plan your gear/transition....but don't let it overwhelm to the point that it distracts. Obviously you need shoes/number/sticker or whatever else is required. But if you forget your sunglasses...you'll live. Don't forget your race number because you got distracted by wondering if you need a second towel or something.

You'll likely do very well in any of those events and really shouldn't have any anxiety about either of them. You're far fitter and far more prepared than I was in all three elements...and my first race was a tad longer. Do 'em both and I'll be asking you questions.

2014-07-29 4:38 PM

Thanks so much for the advice! I do feel a little bit better about it. If I do go ahead and sign up I will make sure I put in my race report! If I don't do this one I will for sure sign up for a sprint in a couple of weeks.

Thanks a lot!!
2014-07-30 8:37 AM

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Good luck! And the only other thing I would add after taking a look at your OP, is to train your weaknesses. It sounds like you have the running down cold. You can likely shift some of your workouts to swim/bike and pick up some time instead of looking to shave a few more seconds off the run.
2014-07-30 8:38 AM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Jhaack - This is the best description yet

"Your legs will simultaneously feel like they're made of lead...yet filled with helium. Mix in the excitement of the day, the atmosphere, and it was (still is) hard for me to get/feel my right pacing. "
2014-07-30 1:44 PM

User image

Pro

Based on your description- there's no doubt that you can not only complete, but likely compete.  Throw some bricks into your training.  A brick is where you go out on a long bike ride, and then do a quick transition into your running shoes and do a short run.  yes- you can do this from spin class and jump on a treadmill.  It will give you a sense for what your legs feel like going from cycling to running (it's quite a surprise ).

the other thing.  Tri's aren't quite like running races (and certainly not like cycling races).  They're much friendlier, more accepting of people at all levels, and a heck of a lot of fun.  You'll be surrounded by people who may never have even run a 10K.  

oh- advice #2.  Practice your transitions.  you can lose a lot of time there.

mostly- just have fun.  you've got this.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » How do you know when you can complete a race successfully? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Been a lurker, now done first race - Slidell LA

Started by mistahsinclair
Views: 962 Posts: 7

2009-04-11 2:21 AM Slidell4life

Just completed Couch to 5K Aggressive

Started by mchieffallo
Views: 585 Posts: 5

2006-04-28 4:56 PM hidikns

complete newbie-thanks for the suppot

Started by Pamvt
Views: 721 Posts: 3

2005-05-13 9:55 AM Pamvt

complete newbie

Started by Pamvt
Views: 1031 Posts: 12

2005-05-11 7:34 PM OldAg92

Completed first tri yesterday!

Started by jeanneroth
Views: 739 Posts: 8

2004-06-15 2:19 PM jeanneroth
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 0
Everything you want to know (and then some).