Tricat Sports
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 2s
Overall Rank = 79/257
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 9/24
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:45. Grabbed a bagel, some water and a quick blast of Diet Coke.

I had about a 45 minute ride to the race, so I split at around 5ish. Radio Margaritaville on Sirius for the ride up.
Event warmup:

Quick jog around the parking lot/spin around on my bike to check my gear for T1.
Swim
  • 21m 53s
  • 1056 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

Simply put-I stink at swimming. I had no preconceived notions about how well that I would perform. I shot for 21 minutes, but with the current probably should have done better.

I'll cut myself a little slack since it was my first open water race. Water temp was nice and the visibility was better than I expected.

I really slacked on the swim and will certainly improve over the winter.
What would you do differently?:

Pushed myself somewhat harder. This is one area of the race that I know I could have put in more effort.
Transition 1
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

Got bunched up after passing timing mat. Some folks were just standing in the middle of the chute mounting their bikes.

Work on jumping on bike. I did waste some time mounting the bike.
Bike
  • 39m 44s
  • 14.5 miles
  • 21.90 mile/hr
Comments:

I was fairly pleased with my ride. I caught a fair amount of people that had destroyed me during the swim. The only spot where there was nobody in front to catch was during the last turn onto the bridge back to the island. I felt as if I was the only rider on the course at that time.

I really wanted to get close to 23 MPH, but I'll take what I got and improve on that next year. I have to say I was fairly pleased with my ride.

I would like to get out of the transition area and up to speed a little better next year. The course makes it tough since right after the transition you hit the narrow spot of the bridge where you really can't pass.
Transition 2
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

Fumbled getting my shoes on. Was nearly run over by some guy that decided to race his bike into the dismount area.

Practice jumping off my bike. Plus, I think I'm going to purchase a pair of triathlon bike shoes.
Run
  • 19m 50s
  • 2.8 miles
  • 07m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

I have to say that the temperature at the race was nice. The sun was just beginning to warm up by the end of the run.

I passed a few folks during the run, but was dropped in the last .25 or so by one of the guys in my age group. Tried to go with him, but just ran out of juice.

Not much I could do differently. I've been doing long runs and speedwork, so I don't think that I could really change too much.
Post race
Warm down:

A light jog around after finishing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

An extra 10 pounds! Seriously. I am really going to shoot at dropping some weight. Outside of that, I was pretty pleased with everything but the swim.

Event comments:

I'll be back next year. I had a lot of fun and it is a fairly local race for me.

Last updated: 2006-08-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:53 | 1056 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 16/24
Overall: 176/257
Performance: Below average
Suit: Tri-shorts with top
Course: Started at one end of City Island near swim area. Downstream to the boat ramp at the far end of the island.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:41
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:39:44 | 14.5 miles | 21.90 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/24
Overall: 58/257
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Very flat course with only real hill the one coming out/entering back into transition area. One or two spots near highway had some pretty nasty chunks of concrete missing, but overall pretty good course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:53
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:19:50 | 02.8 miles | 07m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/24
Overall: 77/257
Performance: Good
Course: Mostly flat with a hill not worth mentioning. Looped over part of the course twice.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-08-15 7:08 AM

New user

Lancaster, PA
Subject: Catfish Triathlon

2006-08-15 9:41 AM
in reply to: #511837

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Subject: RE: Catfish Triathlon
Excellent performance. Way to go!

-Frank
2006-08-15 11:46 AM
in reply to: #511837

User image

Regular
Central Minnesota
Subject: RE: Catfish Triathlon
I used to have the same feeling about swimming until I brought a wetsuit. I did not see one listed as being worn during your race, have you ever used one? Personally, I still stink when I swim in the pool, but in open water with the wetsuit my form all comes together and makes a huge difference for me. It's all about bouyancy. Great bike ride, I would love to be able to finally reach anything above 21 MPH!!! Good luck with your training.
Corey
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Catfish Triathlon Rss Feed