General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Couch to 5k to become a faster runner? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-26 12:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Subject: Couch to 5k to become a faster runner?
So... I've been a jogger my whole adult life (in my mid-30s now). I've always been pretty slow... PRs are around 26 min 5k, 58 min 10k and 2:15 HM. Those are all after training; my normal jogs are in the 12-13mm range and I couldn't guarantee I could break 30 min on a 5k on any given day.
But, I've gone on a few runs with a friend who's doing a couch to 5k (run/ walk) program. He's in pretty good shape but more for basketball/ soccer and occasional biking. I said I'd go at his pace and at first we were running like 7 min miles, but a minute at a time. We were both spent halfway through, but the next couple of times we've been at around 9 min miles during the run portions, and the overall pace has stayed below 11 min miles.
Would it be smart to start fresh with my running, and do couch to 5k trying to hit, say, 9:30 for the run portions?

2014-07-26 2:46 PM
in reply to: chayes

User image

Regular
Aalborg, Denmark
Subject: RE: Couch to 5k to become a faster runner?
No, I don't see why. If you can do 5k then it seems needless to do C25K.

Just do more interval training and be sure to run often.
2014-07-26 2:56 PM
in reply to: #5030833

Doesn't really make sense to me if you can race a ~26 min 5k? Running a 9:30 pace for any distance will not make your 5k PR faster. How about some track intervals or speed work? I swear by 800s (repeated, with about 60-90 second rests in between), at full out effort. IMO, to get faster you have to run faster, period.
2014-07-26 3:14 PM
in reply to: kwhetzel4

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
I'd look for something more like a Hal Higdon intermediate type 5k program for where you are. He's not the only one with something out there, but it's easy to find and easy to follow.
2014-07-26 3:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Originally posted by Danno77

I'd look for something more like a Hal Higdon intermediate type 5k program for where you are. He's not the only one with something out there, but it's easy to find and easy to follow.

Just re-read and noticed that your PRs are not necessarily recent. Maybe start with a Hal Higdon beginner then moving to the intermediate...

Edited by Danno77 2014-07-26 3:17 PM
2014-07-26 4:53 PM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
I agree with above.
It sounds like your training has stagnated a bit. Injecting some speed into your runs (and following any type of program) will likely yield big results. "Starting fresh" on a C25K does not accomplish anything, because it'll mean you need to cut back your running a lot.

Good luck with the Higdon plan! It sounds like you are really poised to make some serious improvement.

2014-07-26 8:32 PM
in reply to: dfroelich

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah the PRs aren't recent- the 5k is about 6 yrs old and 10k is 2 years old.
I haven't done any follow-a-plan training for a while- just SBR as desired and do a local tri a few times a year, plus a 5k if a friend is doing it and charity rides. My bike and swim are pretty much where they always were, but it didn't occur to me until I read through the replies that my slow runs are probably a function of the fact that I've just noodled around jogging.
I do know that I was kind of leaning on the "run more" philosophy that dominates this board. I did try daily running (well, 6 days a week) this winter and didn't get any faster. I can definitely feel that running around 9mm is a totally different thing than running 12-13mm- someone said that you have to run fast to get faster and I think I need to train my body to run fast.
I checked out the hal higdon programs- I've followed them before for 10k and HM. I'll try the 5k program once it gets too cold to swim and bike outside!
2014-07-28 7:34 AM

Master
Northern IL

Be careful of confusing the "run fast to get faster" part as meaning to always trying to run fast. Just *some* of the running should be faster. Mostly easy and sometimes hard tends to be understood better, though that can be confused as well. The balance of each can depend on where someone is at in their development and what they are working on, but do include both with more of it being at an easier effort.

2014-07-28 12:40 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by chayes

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah the PRs aren't recent- the 5k is about 6 yrs old and 10k is 2 years old.
I haven't done any follow-a-plan training for a while- just SBR as desired and do a local tri a few times a year, plus a 5k if a friend is doing it and charity rides. My bike and swim are pretty much where they always were, but it didn't occur to me until I read through the replies that my slow runs are probably a function of the fact that I've just noodled around jogging.
I do know that I was kind of leaning on the "run more" philosophy that dominates this board. I did try daily running (well, 6 days a week) this winter and didn't get any faster. I can definitely feel that running around 9mm is a totally different thing than running 12-13mm- someone said that you have to run fast to get faster and I think I need to train my body to run fast.
I checked out the hal higdon programs- I've followed them before for 10k and HM. I'll try the 5k program once it gets too cold to swim and bike outside!

How much were you doing on each run when you were running six days/week? I would think you'd see some improvements there.

It is possible to take the "run more and run easy" idea too far and run TOO slow to see any real adaptation and improvement. If you can sometimes run 9 min/mile, then you can probably do most of your easy runs closer to 10:30-11:00/mile. It should feel like a workout, but it should be easy enough that it doesn't wipe you out such that you can't do more. Gradually this easy pace gets faster, and you can also push harder for the hard paces.

It sounds like you think that "run more" was wrong" and instead the idea is just "run faster." It's not that simple to just want to run faster and then you get faster. As others have said, it's the right balance of volume and some faster running that eventually allow you to get faster.

Your idea of Couch to 5K isn't TOO far off actually-- what you're really thinking is doing some runs that are run/walk intervals with faster run portions. This would be great as one of your runs during the week. Another run might be slightly harder for extended time (like 10 min easy, 15 min harder, 10 min easy), and the rest easy paced (but not TOO slow).

But I agree it doesn't make sense to "start over" and just try to run faster. That's not really how running adaptation works. You need to build from a base of aerobic endurance (that is, "run more"), get the legs moving faster sometimes (and train the energy systems to use oxygen more efficiently), and eventually you will get faster.

Edited by jennifer_runs 2014-07-28 12:46 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Couch to 5k to become a faster runner? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Becoming a faster runner

Started by ellabella824
Views: 1395 Posts: 24

2014-04-14 9:36 PM ziggie204

Tonight I Became a Runner

Started by Spleen
Views: 1506 Posts: 10

2010-10-13 10:54 AM Turnin2

Becoming a forefoot runner Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by mrbigheado
Views: 6178 Posts: 86

2010-06-05 6:40 PM monkeyboy64

Becoming a stronger runner

Started by Kidblue
Views: 1374 Posts: 18

2007-08-30 10:07 AM MomX3

Becoming a runner

Started by KathyG
Views: 859 Posts: 14

2006-05-19 4:49 PM mroylance
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
comments : 0
First, with your upcoming 5K, I strongly advise you to check out the “Couch to 5K” training schedule. This training schedule is a GREAT way to get back into running safely and wisely.

date : July 31, 2005
author : smeeko
No matter what technique you use, running still remains a sport that requires “pain and suffering.” Technique-only training will not make you a fast runner if you don’t practice to be one.
date : May 30, 2005
author : smeeko
A few factors are at the basis of increasing running speed. In my experience these factors are: variety, “pain,” time and injury prevention.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 6
Couch to 5k programs for those starting from square one.
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

comments : 2
This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.
comments : 2
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.