General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Change Over Stations questions from a new IM'er Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-26 10:31 PM

Subject: Change Over Stations questions from a new IM'er
Hello!

I am in the process of registering for my first Ironman. I haven't done any 5k's or marathons or anything like that though, and definitely not a triathlon so am totally in the dark. I've done a lot of research on them, especially how the change over period from the swim to the bike, and then bike to run, works, but I still don't fully understand (I'm still new!!)

After exiting the water, do you run into a bathroom to change out of swimwear into something else to wear? Do I wear what I wore during the swim for the full Ironman? How do I find my bike? After the bike, do I drop the bike off somewhere and then start running??

Thanks in advance!

2014-07-27 7:03 PM
in reply to: seanodowd

Subject: RE: Change Over Stations questions from a new IM'er
Actually you would ideally wear the same thing for all 3 elements. There are no changing stations (usually) and public nudity is often frowned upon. Some transition zones have large tents with chairs (or so I've seen in videos, I've never seen them at my own races).

Additionally, I would HIGHLY recommend doing other triathlons (as in shorter distances) before doing an Ironman. Doing some sprint and olympic distance races will help you sort out a lot of the kinks when it comes to racing though transition.

Not all races are the same, but you will set up your gear before the start of the race. You may not have a designated bike spot, but a rack with 10 or so more people to work with space wise. Practice make perfect when it comes to planning where/how you want your gear laid out. You do the swim, come back for your bike, do the bike leg, then set your bike back in the same place you had it earlier, then run.

The clock never stops so transitions are best done quickly, hence, one outfit forever!

But seriously, the Ironman is no joke, and not to be taken lightly. Try a shorter triathlon (preferably several), then go for the distance.
2014-07-27 9:42 PM
in reply to: clumsyrunner14

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

Ironman Lake Placid Athlete Guide.  http://www.ironman.com/~/media/27d67e47e33446d48d8a3a42f784dac3/2014%20im%20lake%20placid%20ag%203.pdf

While you are way out, read an Athlete Guide.   It will answer many of your questions.  Also, join a team or get a coach.  They can teach you tons.

You have a lot of very good questions.  I'd find someone to go over them with in person.

2014-07-30 12:38 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
You can join my mentor group and we can work through a lot of your concerns if you want. As stated above you wear a tri suit for the swim, bike and run. You would wear the trusuit under your wetsuit. A 2 piece is recomended for a full IM because going to the rest room is much easier. You have a transition area for your swim to bike and another area for your bike to run transition. You usually have a transition bag for each transition and a special needs back half way through the bike and half way through the run. You are timed in your transitions as well as on the course. It is very important for a full IM to have enough fluids, 300 -350 calories per hour on the bike, 200 calories per hour on the run. Most folks take 2 years to train for a first IM, if you are young it can be done in 1 year. It is highly recommended that you do a HIM before a full to work out your nutrition and learn how your body responds to the distance, hydration, heat, etc. Feel free to hit me with specific training questions if you want.

Edited by Baowolf 2014-07-30 12:43 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Change Over Stations questions from a new IM'er Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

HIM running aid stations question (help)

Started by Leegoocrap
Views: 1687 Posts: 9

2011-09-30 2:54 PM Oldteen

another IM aid station question

Started by jackjack
Views: 948 Posts: 5

2007-07-03 9:55 AM KenyonTri

IM Aid Station Question

Started by ultramike
Views: 795 Posts: 4

2007-06-29 9:21 AM ultramike

Gift for Virgin IM'er

Started by ChrisM
Views: 1474 Posts: 21

2006-09-18 11:17 AM mmckinley

fuel belt or aid stations?

Started by TriTEC
Views: 831 Posts: 5

2005-06-14 12:29 PM Alpine87
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : October 5, 2010
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 4
The grand pull to Kona is both a product of our sport's mythology, marketing, and the intangible desires that each create.
date : May 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.

date : December 19, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
My problem is I can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? I need to get from 40 to 750 meters in 6 months.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?

date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.
date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.

date : September 3, 2005
author : Michael Silva
Without paying a personal trainer or a PT on a regular basis, is there a regimen of exercises I can do to strengthen all around?