General Discussion Triathlon Talk » minimum mileage in training, to complete a metric century? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-27 11:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Subject: minimum mileage in training, to complete a metric century?
There's a very hilly metric century the end of August, and I have a few friends who might do it with me. They're pretty comfortable doing 20-30 miles on a MUP, but haven't done many hills, and don't do a ride that long consistently- maybe once a month.
What would you say is the minimum long rides they'd need to do to convince me and themselves they can complete the ride? I was thinking the next few weekends do 25 hilly miles, then 30, then 35. But I'd like to hear others' opinions. I don't expect to go very fast but I also don't want to drag 3 whining people for 40 miles at 12 mph.

2014-07-27 12:55 PM
in reply to: chayes

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Subject: RE: minimum mileage in training, to complete a metric century?
Well, 70-80 miles is generally good for a century, so for a metric century I'd say 70-80k would do it, so maybe like 50 miles? I'm just guessing here.
2014-07-27 1:31 PM

Master
Northern IL

How hilly are we talking about? If they do the 20-30 mile rides several times a week they could do it if it was flatter. Just take some time at the stops and pace it well. Hope it's a nice day and keep in good spirits. You can go for several times what is "normal" for you on a bike. More helps to make it less difficult.

Now the hills make it hard for several reasons. One is that it's going to take more time. And that's really what you're looking at more than the mileage. The other is how severe the hills are. If it's just some longer, but lower grade hills, then it won't be so difficult. Longer yes, but it won't take significant effort to get over the hills. If they're quite steep and take some significant effort & grinding out in the lowest gear, then yes, it's going to be a lot harder to get through. There have been some around here that clear 8,000 ft for a century, and they'll have numerous steep grades on them. Unless you're way up near the top for finishing, you most definitely want both a compact crank and at least a 28t cassette, possibly 30 or 32t. And they're still going to have you working quite well. A lot of people end up only averaging 12 mph or so. I've been first around without quite making 18.

In re-reading the op, if the 20-30 miles is really only once a month, 60 miles is going to be a rather big jump for them unless they seem to have some natural ability for being on the bike.

2014-07-27 3:00 PM

User image

How hilly is hilly? How much climbing will there be and how steep will it be? Those factors make a huge difference. For example, I can easily knock out a 100 mile ride with 5000' of climbing on a Saturday. However, there is one gran fondo around here with 8000' of climbing on the metric century. I can do it, but it hurts and I will be sore the next day. Try to find people who have done the ride before and are familiar with your fitness level. See what their opinions are.
2014-07-27 6:35 PM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks for the feedback, everyone.
There's a decent amount of flat but the climbs there are, are steep and sustained.
I can't get a pic of the elevation changes but if you go to the link it's at the bottom of the page:
http://pedalpgh.org/the-ride/pj-dick-trumbull-and-lindy-paving-metr...

For me it will be an enjoyable challenge but I think for the rest of them it will be miserable. Part of the problem is, I'm a girl and 3 of the friends are boys, and I think they think if I can do it, they can. But I actually train... on hills...

There's a 25-mile route option that takes in the middle part of the metric century, so my plan now is to ride one of the steeper climbs with them next weekend, and assuming they're cursing life, suggest that I start early on the metric century and meet up and do most of the middle 25 miles with them.
2014-07-27 6:50 PM

I've been a part of a MS Bike weekend for several years now. I've seen people come out to join us who have done 50 miles and even a few do 75 miles without any training. Heck, a couple of them didn't even get on the bike they were going to use until the morning of the event. Some suffer greatly trying to complete it, but they get it done. So the answer to your question. . . honestly. . . 0. 62 miles isn't a big deal if you don't mind limping home.

2014-07-28 7:13 AM

User image

Originally posted by chayes

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.
There's a decent amount of flat but the climbs there are, are steep and sustained.
I can't get a pic of the elevation changes but if you go to the link it's at the bottom of the page:
http://pedalpgh.org/the-ride/pj-dick-trumbull-and-lindy-paving-metr...

For me it will be an enjoyable challenge but I think for the rest of them it will be miserable. Part of the problem is, I'm a girl and 3 of the friends are boys, and I think they think if I can do it, they can. But I actually train... on hills...

There's a 25-mile route option that takes in the middle part of the metric century, so my plan now is to ride one of the steeper climbs with them next weekend, and assuming they're cursing life, suggest that I start early on the metric century and meet up and do most of the middle 25 miles with them.

I don't understand what them being boys has to do with anything other than their ease with taking bathroom breaks. I am amazed they found so much flat ground in Pittsburgh for that elevation profile. You do have one hard climb at the beginning and Mt. Washington will definitely be a challenge. If you are used to riding on the MUP, how are you with traffic? That ride is going to take a minimum of 4 hours. Traffic in some of those neighborhoods can get a bit hectic by late morning on a Saturday. I would take a few practice rides first. Get the guys to take you out for a 30 miler off the MUP and just see how it goes.
2014-07-28 7:40 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by chayes There's a 25-mile route option that takes in the middle part of the metric century, so my plan now is to ride one of the steeper climbs with them next weekend, and assuming they're cursing life, suggest that I start early on the metric century and meet up and do most of the middle 25 miles with them.

That sounds like a pretty good idea, showing them some ahead of time and having them do part of the main event.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » minimum mileage in training, to complete a metric century? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Century or Metric Century 2 weeks before HIM?

Started by cwpeters
Views: 989 Posts: 10

2012-11-04 8:14 PM colinphillips

Minimum Long Bike in prep for first HIM...again minimum Pages: 1 2

Started by pga_mike
Views: 4468 Posts: 46

2010-05-14 8:39 AM aquagirl

metric century

Started by dkiller
Views: 721 Posts: 4

2010-01-06 8:21 PM 1stTimeTri

Long-Distance Travel after 1st Metric Century

Started by ratkat
Views: 601 Posts: 8

2009-06-12 7:07 AM ratkat

1st metric century

Started by PTinVA
Views: 914 Posts: 14

2006-06-19 10:56 AM oneword
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 27, 2007
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Questions and answers on HIM training with a sprained ankle, metric century plan basics, Olympic speedwork, Ironman commuter rides, bricks, HIM before IM recovery and post race nutrition.